UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Bouldering in Oukaimeden, Morocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Aug 2016
Plato - Broken Heart, 4 kbOukaimeden is a small village in the High Atlas Mountains (2700m.) of Morocco and only 90 minutes drive from Marrakech. A new boulder destination with thousands of untouched sandstone boulders.

Dutch climber and local resident Keoma Jacobs reveals all.

Read more
 GDes 08 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Looks great.

Possibly a stretch to say it's maybe the highest bouldering area in the world at 2700m?! 

In reply to GDes:

Most of the Mount Evans CO bouldering is at 3600m plus. 

SuperLee1985 09 Jan 2019

Anyone know how much there is to do here for bumblies?

Our group tends to operate at significantly lower grades that most of the routes mentioned in the article (typically 3-5s).

Cheers

aln 09 Jan 2019

That's an unusual looking bouldering pad in the pic of Tarte Tatain, is it inflatable?

HakanT 10 Jan 2019
In reply to SuperLee1985:

The promo blurb for the guide book says "Oukaimeden Morocco Bouldering has the potential to be the next Rocklands. It is the first bouldering destination in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco. In summary, the guidebook includes 700 problems of which almost 80 problems in the 7th grade, approximately 450 in the 5th and 6th grade and 150 beginner problems ranging between 3 to 4+."

joeldering 10 Jan 2019
In reply to aln:

That's a Mad Rock R3, it's stuffed with shredded recycled foam, not inflatable

seankenny 10 Jan 2019
In reply to HakanT:

> The promo blurb for the guide book says "Oukaimeden Morocco Bouldering has the potential to be the next Rocklands."

As an aside, how many more Rocklands are in Africa waiting to be discovered? It's an absolutely huge place and clearly has lots of potential for rock climbing. Whilst the Med seems to be a huge limestone bowl with unending sport climbing, Africa seems to have a lot of granite and sandstone which are pretty good for bouldering (and everything else really).

Can any adventurous pad people enlighten us?

aln 10 Jan 2019
In reply to joeldering:

Thanks. 

Sean Kelly 10 Jan 2019

Been there in the winter (Feb) about thirty years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There was no guide, we had no maps, but just prospected like pioneers, mainly winter climbing some of the bigger peaks. Superb weather all week. The locals were very friendly, but that was obviously before all this Taliban stuff, and all that has since followed to sour relations with the West.

MikeSP 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I was out there in December by myself, didn't do any climbing but everyone I meet was friendly and seemed happy for me to be there.

The day the bodies were found I was about 40 miles away (ok on the other side of Toubkal) and I didn't even know what was had happened.

I the only time I felt for my safety was dodging the mopeds in the Medina in Marrakesh.

paul mitchell 14 Jan 2019

Looks like the ecology there would be disrupted by a big influx of boulderers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...