UKC

NEWS: Brits climb Baffin Big Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 Jun 2010
[Twid Mark and Stu on the summit, 3 kb]The UK Alpinists Mike 'Twid' Turner, Stu McAleese and Mark Thomas have completed a 1400m first ascent on Baffin Island.

Their route Arctic Monkeys (VI A4 V+) climbs a huge granite wall to reach a previously unclimbed summit via 31 pitches of vertical rock and 350m of mixed snow and ice climbing.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=55223

lostintranslation 04 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

extremely impressive.

well done lads.

lost
 armus 04 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I read about these Baffin Island big walls on the internet some months ago & just reading & looking at the photos scared me. They have done well (and they are Brits)
 Sheffield Sam 04 Jun 2010
Wow fantastic effort guys, just the kind of thing I aspire to but will probley never do! Would be great to have some more pics ect.
 armus 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Sheffield Sam:
> Wow fantastic effort guys, just the kind of thing I aspire to but will probley never do! Would be great to have some more pics ect.

>> I meant to say that too.

mr mills 05 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic achievment guys, looks awsome and scary, not my cup of tea but, very impressive, I`ll buy you the beers when you get back.

mills.
 royal 05 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Great work. Looks like there's so much undiscovered climbing there?
 Andy S 06 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: incredible acheivement! Well done!
 armus 06 Jun 2010
In reply to royal:

> Great work. Looks like there's so much undiscovered climbing there?

>>You're right, other routes will be done there, but it is such an expensive, isolated place to get to, & when you get there you will need so much support on a 4000 foot climb. 18 days on the crag. Who can afford that? Only sponsored or rich climbers. We know that there are guys who have the ability to do well there, but can't afford it.

ridgback 06 Jun 2010
In reply to pyle: I understand where you are coming from but that does not detract from what these guys have achieved. Hearty congratulations to all involved.
 philhilo 07 Jun 2010
In reply to pyle: Climbing big mts has never been cheap. Sponsored climbers are professionals, people who have dedicated their lives to climbing, they are also the people good enough to do these routes. Perhaps we should not hear about the world cup because they are professionals? If I put that much effort in and made the choices I could get there too. Great job thats what I say.
 sutty 07 Jun 2010
In reply to pyle:

Not true about sponsored climbers as it is a lot cheaper than doing a trip to do a medium peak in the Himalaya. Lots of small teams do it each year, they just save up for a while.
 london_huddy 07 Jun 2010
In reply to sutty:
Awesome work, great to hear about it.

Sutty - I agree; Guess where a group of us are heading next year with some savings and favours?
 Peter Rhodes 07 Jun 2010
In reply to hindu: HELL YES! Going to be a crushfest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...