UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Bum Shots & Shaky Vids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Sep 2014
Ian Parnell trying to find the funny side of bottomless powder on the winter approach to Fitzroy., 4 kbAndy Kirkpatrick talks cameras, technology and what he feels gives photographs a meaning so that you can capture those moments of fear, hardship or pure joy whilst in the hills and on the crags.

"Style is a personal thing. When it comes to photography, for me, the rougher the better. I don't like views, I don't like sunsets, I don't like shots that required someone to get up at 4am and sit on a cold arse all day to get..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6610
In reply to UKC Articles:

Enjoyed this - "Matt Dickinson on Tangerine Trip during a one day ascent (day three)" - very dry.

jcm
 Toerag 16 Sep 2014

Never deleting stuff is really important, as things unimportant now may become important in the future - that cliff in the background that's now fallen down, that glacier that's now retreated, the clothes the guys in the background were wearing show fashion of the day.

A great set of tips at the end - I bought an Olympus mju film camera for £1.50 in a charity shop and have had great fun with it - so compact & simple. I never delete images either - having a good indexing system is one thing I would add so you can find stuff later.
The best pic is the worn cams with the rough fingers - great documentary stuff.
pasbury 17 Sep 2014

very good down to earth article as usual from Kirkpatrick. But what's with the weird washed out and unsaturated colours in some of the images - I find it really distracting.
 Lurking Dave 17 Sep 2014

Great article, spoilt by the lack of proof reading.

Sorry, that's wrong it wasn't spoilt, it was still F***n good. But UKC please try and read to pick up on those things that the author overlooked in the passion of getting the words down.

Cheers
LD
 mrchewy 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Lurking Dave:

I think most of accept that Andy's dyslexia is part of his writing charm and an inspiration to those of us who have similar issues. It'd feel slightly odd to me if there wasn't a mistake or two.
 jsmcfarland 17 Sep 2014

Great article, I like his writing style and didn't notice any spelling mistakes or whatever, so there you go.
 Blue Straggler 17 Sep 2014

This justifies yesterday's impulsive purchase of a Ricoh R1 from Oxfam despite the fact that I already own a superior 24mm-wide-angle film compact
 aln 17 Sep 2014

Very disappointed with this post. This is nothing like the shaky vids of bum shots I'm used to.
 Red Rover 17 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

I like how he claims to not know what he's talking about and then goes on to show a string of really good photos. I like the photos that show what it felt like to be there rather than the artistic composed ones.
 Merlin 18 Sep 2014
Great artical (including any mistakes, not that I noticed. Ignore the mouth breather who doesn't seem to appreciate such advice imparted at the expense of your time). Always useful and readily applicable advice from AK.
Post edited at 00:32
 planetmarshall 18 Sep 2014
In reply to pasbury:

> But what's with the weird washed out and unsaturated colours in some of the images - I find it really distracting.

In the days of chemical film processing this used to be known as a "bleach bypass". These days it's achieved by digital colour grading in photoshop or the video equivalent. Paul Diffley used it a lot in "Distilled".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...