UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Capturing the stars: Night Sky Photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Oct 2014
Night falls over the lake of Tarn Hows, 2 kbFrom a personal point of view, photographing the night sky is one of the most difficult, frustrating yet ultimately rewarding aspects of photography. It requires perseverance and ultimately commitment, not least because any sane person would be in bed at 2am, rather than scrambling around in the dark with a load of camera kit. Here are a few tips to get you started on capturing the stars...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6741
 Alex the Alex 16 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article James. Concise and straightforward. I was wondering though: Is there any chance of getting anything like these shots without a lens/using a compact (in this case an RX1)?

Cheers,

Alex
 d_b 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Some of the better compacts will do a reasonable job. I got some decent night pics with my old panasonic LX-3 for example.

Look for a combination of large sensor and fast lens.

ChrisJD 16 Oct 2014

Looks like a great article (skim read) - need to sit down in detail. Great stuff.

Share on FB button doesn't seem to work though: "UKC Articles - Article not found"
Removed User 16 Oct 2014

Brilliant and useful article. Many thanks.
 d_b 16 Oct 2014

Nice article.

To be clear. You advocate a 450 rule rather than a 600 for full frame 35mm sensors, so that would be a 300 rule for APS-C SLRs?
In reply to ChrisJD:
I've made Facebook refetch their cached data for the page. Sharing should work now.
Post edited at 13:30
 Mr Fuller 16 Oct 2014

Fantastic, that's confirmed that I need to put more effort into taking night-time photos. A recent forum discussion helped and this has given me an extra boost. Some of those shots are incredible. A 14 mm lens is going on the 'to buy' list...
 wildeybeast 16 Oct 2014

Great article Rushy, nice one! Now to get wrapped up warm and fill a flask....!

Brilliant share - I shall never take pics like these, but it's a fascinating insight. I'll have to sit down tonight to really take it all in.

Martin
 Sean Kelly 16 Oct 2014

Excellent article James and great to see some of your other photography. I will file this info away for future reference. At least now with digital we don't have the hassle of reciprocity failure to consider these days.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 17 Oct 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

That's right yes. Though obviously crop frame camera's vary slightly in how much they're cropped depending on the make.
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Thanks Alex. You can get some very good star trail photos using a compact camera. It is harder to get a good star field shot with a compact (though it can still be done with some of the more expensive models). You're looking for a combination of large sensor and fast lens.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm glad you like it. If anyone has any questions at any point feel free to drop me an email.
 Chewie65 18 Nov 2014

As the others say great article.
I've been wanting and failing to get good night shots for years and a have a reasonable camera. Quite a few articles I have read recently refer to Lightroom and photoshop but to me, that takes the art out of photography and the fun of trial and error - so much better with digital and not having the expense of printing
Just need to get to the hills and away from light polution

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...