UKC

NEWS: Christmas Crack, Stanage........ Route Name Changes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 Dec 2008
This morning, 25th December 2008, Stanage Edge in the Peaks. What am I doing here?

Like the seventy-odd other climbers present, and let's face it we are odd, we are here to climb Christmas Crack, first climbed by George Bower in 1926. It's a fine English tradition on the UK's most popular cliff, fo...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45528
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: So where are the photos of me climbing Mick? <pouts> And I wore a lovely new photogenic orange jacket as well...
OP Michael Ryan 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Darn it Nick, missed you!
 Glyn 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

My father and I were the only ones on Christmas Curry at Bwlch Y Moch today, while we were there anyway. Im glad I live in Wales!

There are plenty of other Christmas named climbs around the country. Spread the love
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2008

A Merry Christmas to all you in Blighty!

It rained on an off for of day the here on the Cote d'Azure (bugger!) but the forecast is better! We went logging in the Esterel instead

http://www.pbase.com/image/107431954

for a Yule Log of course!

Chris
 Simon 25 Dec 2008

The Flange is a great climb and the name makes it!

The Peak was lovely today & had a womble up to the Grouse to meet up with Sally & Mark for Mince Pies - glad you all had a great time!

Happy Christmas one and all at UKC!

Si
 Simon 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> We went logging in the Esterel instead
>

Logging ?

Surely its 'Chomping' Chris!?

Happy Xmas big man..

Si
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Do you get double time for working christmas day!

Happy Christmas, Mick and All
Removed User 25 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Wonder if Windgather was as busy?
 James Oswald 26 Dec 2008
Peak or Peaks?
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Nice one! =oD I'll upload my pics when I finally get home. What a great morning and brilliant bunch of people.
 Al Evans 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Gorgeous day here on The Blanca
 Al Evans 26 Dec 2008
In reply to james oswald: Well said!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) Gorgeous day here on The Blanca

Doubtless - it almost always is!

BUT I have done the Blanca to death (and will be back next winter working on the guide) - I am always looking for somewhere new!

I was shocked to realise that most of the major crags round Toulon don't even appear in the UKC databases - which presumably means that they are a closed book to UK climbers?

Chris
 chris fox 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Wonder if Windgather was as busy?

Only myself and the grazing sheep were present yesterday afternoon at Windgather
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> I was shocked to realise that most of the major crags round Toulon don't even appear in the UKC databases - which presumably means that they are a closed book to UK climbers?

I wouldn't assume that Chris - there are plenty of crags outside the UK missing from the database, so please add any that you know about!

Cheers
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Will do Sarge!

I have to add the crags so that I can keep my logbook up-to-date!

Chris
 James Oswald 26 Dec 2008
Maybe just stick a charge on climbing it on Christmas day and reduce those queues..........
 mitch 26 Dec 2008
A few pictures of the last couple to climb the crack on XMas Eve, I said I'd post the link for them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitchellcarl/3136503902/in/set-721576116451011...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitchellcarl/3136523500/in/set-721576116451011...

Merry Xmas
 James Oswald 29 Dec 2008
Stick a Christmas day charge on it!!!!
James
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Here's my pics from climbing Christmas Crack and Hollybush Crack on Christmas day. Bo)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyledwood/sets/72157611969890617/
 Offwidth 05 Jan 2009
In reply to james oswald:

Great idea. Optional of course (except for the public humilation of refusal) and for the access fund.
 Fidget 05 Jan 2009

I followed Dick Turnbull up it in the dark on Tuesday 23rd after work!
 GrahamD 05 Jan 2009

Sloppy Shite that I am, I proposed after climbing Christmas Crack on Christmas day 11 years ago. Even had a bottle of bubbly in my pack - which we ignored in favour of a hot flask of coffee.
 danm 05 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Don't really understand what the fuss is all about. Turned up with a few mates, waited for the team on Christmas Crack to finish it (would have done Black Slab otherwise, but they weren't slow) and then climbed it. Another team arrived and followed up behind, quaffing whiskey. Standard day at the popular end really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...