UKC

ARTICLE: Classic Rock by Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Sep 2018
Oli, his bike and the Cuillin Ridge., 3 kbPublished in 1978, 'Classic Rock' is Ken Wilson's compilation of some of the best rock climbs in the UK. With 82 routes, the vast majority climbed in the first half of the 20th century, it is a showcase of British climbing in its exploratory heyday. In 1997 Jamie Fisher decided it would be a fine idea to climb all of these routes in a continuous round, making things even more challenging by shunning any motorised transport and linking them all together by bicycle.

21 years after the first completion of all 82 'Classic Rock' routes by bike, Oli Warlow decided to follow in Jamie Fisher's tracks. Here's Oli's account of his 72-day adventure, with some fascinating stats thrown in at the end...

Read more
 TMM 24 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

What an absolutely fantastic adventure creating memories that will last a lifetime. You have seen more of the beauty and diversity of our seas, hills and mountains than 99% of the UK population. I hope you are still taking great satisfaction in achieving a very personal goal. 

Mick Ward 24 Sep 2018

Have just had a quick peak but this looks wonderful - the stuff of dreams indeed. Really looking forward to sitting down this evening and savouring it.

Mick

simes303 24 Sep 2018

Awesome.

C Witter 24 Sep 2018

Cracking! Great challenge and a good read. So...

Top 3 classic climbs?

Worst 3 classic climbs?

Congrats on what must have been a wonderful adventure.

Offwidth 24 Sep 2018
In reply to C Witter:

Terrior's Tooth must be one of the worst. I wonder how and where they traversed  in over the massive rock scar where the botton 10m fell off (the new slab start is still climbable but bold and horrid and at least VS).

C Witter 24 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

I would imagine the best would be the Cuillin traverse - though I've not done this yet. In fact, I've done no rock climbing in Scotland, and it seems a shame as routes like Punster's Crack, the Cioch Nose followed by Integrity, and Sou'Wester Slabs look thoroughly fantastic. The latter is just beautiful to look at - a huge, granite-plated armadillo! 

I would imagine that the worst would be Great Gully, followed closely by Clachaig Gully and The Chasm! Or the same routes in a different order!

Post edited at 14:27
 spenser 24 Sep 2018

In my defense I think Chris really does enjoy that kind of thing!

A fine adventure which I was glad to be part of!

Rob Seymour 24 Sep 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

The area of newly-exposed rock at the bottom of Terrier's Tooth is definitely not recommended. Rather than climbing up this or the gritty crack to the right, the new CC Chair Ladder guide describes a better first pitch that starts several metres further right, heading up a red, bubbly wall then leftwards and up to the big ledge to the right of the pinnacle. I hadn't done this pitch until quite recently, and it is a big improvement on the rockfall area. Shown as number 21 on page 161 of the guide, this makes the route much more worthwhile.Terrier's Tooth (HS 4b)

spenser 24 Sep 2018
In reply to C Witter:

Great Gully was an absolute giggle in the relatively dry conditions we did it, although I was glad that Oli led the pitch out of the cave!

It definitely ranks as having at least 2 out of my worst 5 pitches in terms of rock quality but I was still grinning after it!

Route Adjuster 24 Sep 2018

This would make a cracking book, lots of climbing, lots of biking, lots of friendship, some history to set the scene (of the routes and of Jamie's original adventure). 

oliwarlow 24 Sep 2018
In reply to C Witter:

Thanks for the positive comments, it really was a great trip.  It was so much than just individual climbs, so as many times as I get asked I can still never give you the top ones.  What really stands out it some really great days linking up multiple classic routes, or even just doing one and having a really fun day with a friend. 

Oli

The bandit 24 Sep 2018
In reply to oliwarlow:

Great to see this repeated.  I enjoyed your account as much as the original. 

McHeath 24 Sep 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Have just had a quick peak 

... wish I lived somewhere where I could just nip up a mountain before tea!

Great article!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...