UKC

NEWS: Climbing At Stanage Restricted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Sep 2007
If you plan climbing at Stanage next weekend, unfortunately you can't. Stanage is being given a rest from climbing from the 15th September. From that date onward, all weekend climbing is banned. Stanage will be open for climbing weekday mornings from 6am until 11.30am only. Next Spring there will be...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Ropeboy 08 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

lol, I actually followed the link.

So why don't more people join/join in?

J
 hutchm 08 Sep 2007

If you want your news section to be taken seriously, why do you want to fill it with little fantasy rambles like this?
In reply to hutchm: I think its a good article, hardly a fantasy ramble. It gets a very valid point across well imho.
 hutchm 08 Sep 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

With a completely misleading headline and opening few pars. It is a valid point, but there's no need to use such trickery, is there?
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That had me hung drawn and quartered. So as i have had an invite to the north west area meeting Id better get off my arse and go!

Fawksey (BMC member cos I need to be when I get insurance every year for my week of freezing hell in Norway)
 CJD 08 Sep 2007

hah! nicely done! it's reminded me that I need to renew my membership.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just sent an email to Martin Koscis confirming that I will be going to the north west BMC area meeting on September 10th and I get his out of office reply saying hes away till 17th August!
 probablylost 08 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: Membership renewal, now that's an excellent point!
 Bulls Crack 08 Sep 2007

And it wouldn't be such a bad idea anyway. Burbage boulders would certainly benefit from a 'voluntary' restriction
MarkGixer6 10 Sep 2007
In reply to Beowulf: Right!! If I'm banned from Stanage I'm going to arrange a napalm strike. If I can't have it then no can!!
 IanJackson 10 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A good news report Mick, keep them coming.
 Neftechalar 11 Sep 2007

Why are these restrictions in place, is it bird nesting or erosion? are these restrictions volentary or imposed on us?
 hutchm 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:

You'd better read all of it. It's a clever ruse to promote the BMC, you see...
OP Michael Ryan 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Why are these restrictions in place, is it bird nesting or erosion? are these restrictions volentary or imposed on us?

The news report explains:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2007#39840

In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to Neftechalar)
>
> You'd better read all of it. It's a clever ruse to promote the BMC, you see...

To promote access and our freedom to climb perhaps. The BMC are our representatives, they work for us.

hutchm 11 Sep 2007

Nice to see everyone's 'getting the message'. Why didn't you put it in 'articles', by the way?
In reply to hutchm:
>
> Nice to see everyone's 'getting the message'. Why didn't you put it in 'articles', by the way?

I was reporting on Dave Turnbull's blog.

http://thebmc.co.uk/blogs/ceo/index.html
 Mark Stevenson 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Why not ask the BMC to write an article about access issues?

The Access Database is a great tool but it will need a sustained publicity campaign over the next few years unitl we get to the point that all climbers are aware of it, and use it when appropriate.
 JDDD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Just sent an email to Martin Koscis confirming that I will be going to the north west BMC area meeting on September 10th and I get his out of office reply saying hes away till 17th August!

Surely one of the hardest workers in the BMC is allowed a holiday once in a while. You could always have emailed someone else at the BMC? Just for the record, you can email me (through UKC) about NW Area Meeting matters as well.
 hutchm 11 Sep 2007
> (In reply to hutchm)
> [...]
>
> I was reporting on Dave Turnbull's blog.
>
> http://thebmc.co.uk/blogs/ceo/index.html

His headline seems a tad more restrained than yours, though.

I only comment because I generally like the news items, and would like to see it becoming a first point of reliable reference for climbers. Mainstream journalists are frequently slagged on here for overt bias and misleading articles....

BTW, if I were a climber wanting to know about bird restrictions at Stanage, and typing 'Stanage' and 'restriction' into Google, guess what the top link is currently? Just above the BMC one...
 Chris the Tall 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Just sent an email to Martin Koscis confirming that I will be going to the north west BMC area meeting on September 10th and I get his out of office reply saying hes away till 17th August!

Martin's likes to make sure his research for Moorland Grit is accurate and comprehensive. He's trying to find out how long it takes to walk from the north edge of Kinder to the southern edge, if you go in a straight line. With his short legs it may well take him 11 months!

JohnHutch 11 Sep 2007
Nice one! Duly renewed my lapsed sub........ But for a moment I was hoping I'd start to meet some of you weekenders midweek, ah well.
 phsharpy 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: a good point but a completely unnecessary way of doing it! Why not post that in a forum and leave news for interesting NEWS rather than random spoofs.
 tlr 21 Sep 2007

This 'ban' has now made it onto the Wikepedia entry for Stanage as fact.
 net 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: One of my friends told me in the pub last week that there was no point going to Stanage as climbing was banned at present. I told him not to be silly. At least now I know where he got it from, though I think he scanned only the first paragraph and took it rather literally...
 net 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That said, I suppose the news about the sale of the Wiltons means we can't take owt for granted, and highlights the need for the BMCs work.
 hutchm 21 Sep 2007
In reply to tlr:
>
> This 'ban' has now made it onto the Wikepedia entry for Stanage as fact.

What a tangled web we weave...
 HC~F 21 Sep 2007
In reply to net: On hearing I was heading for Stanage tomorrow someone just told me he'd heard it was banned....

Maybe the article will trick others and we'll have a quiet day of it .
 net 25 Sep 2007
In reply to HC~F: Did it work then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...