UKC

ARTICLE: Climbing, Contentment and Middle Age

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 17 Aug 2022

Megan Holbeck explores how her love of climbing has changed as 'real life' has become more real...

I was 17 and itching to get out of the boredom of school in suburban Canberra (Australia) when I first tried climbing. It was the 90s, and skittering up holds on the walls of an old squash court was the best thing I'd done all year. I stayed for hours, and couldn't hold a pen properly for a week. That was probably the pinnacle of my training dedication, and definitely the start of something that shaped my life for decades.

Read more

TMM 17 Aug 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great! I love the articles that get published that recognise the diverse experience that 'climbing' means to each of us. 

aostaman 17 Aug 2022

Lovely.

I go to Sydney every year and not done much climbing there as it's usually too hot and in April/May this year it just didn't stop raining!!

Done quite a bit at Booroomba Rocks (even put a few new routes up), much under rated. I always go and look at Wahroonga Rocks and done a bit at Berowra, never quite comfy with that carrot concept.

Keep enjoying it.

Andy Hardy 17 Aug 2022
In reply to UKC Mods:

Why is the like button limited to 1 click?

Max factor 17 Aug 2022

Great. I'm taking that phrase, the ho-humness of everyday life and looking forward to some adventures when work and kids are behind us. 

profitofdoom 17 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Why is the like button limited to 1 click?

1 click per person? Not overall though, obviously

Sealwife 17 Aug 2022

Really enjoyable article, can totally relate to it.

dgbryan 18 Aug 2022

Very nice article!

Insightful I think "...  if you start something young enough, and use it as a support for your sense of self ...".

Basemetal 18 Aug 2022

Gosh, it's like you're doing it for fun! Whatever next?

Brilliant Article.

Damo 19 Aug 2022

I just sent this article to my friend N, who built that first climbing wall in the old squash court, mentioned at the start of this article. It was the summer of 92-93 and a bunch of mates helped him and his partner J get it all up and running.

I'd like to say we had no idea the impact the wall would have on Australian climbing, but to be honest even in those first few weeks of January 1993, it was pretty obvious. It seemed almost overnight, the influx of women and kids into climbing, a massive step-change from what had been.

Maybe some famous or super-strong climbers started there in those days, they probably did, but I find it more enjoyable to read the role it played in the real life of a person who climbs, still, after all these years.

Thanks Megan, nice work.

Leslie57 19 Aug 2022

Lovely article Megan, I’m with every word of it. - thank you very much.

stubbed 19 Aug 2022

I can relate to this. I currently describe myself as an 'ex-climber'

mholbeck 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Damo:

I've never again been so pumped as I was after that first afternoon in the squash court! It really was a game changer. 

ian caton 25 Aug 2022

Errr... but your not old. You have a training age of perhaps 1.😊

Get stuck in and think of yourself as young i think you might truly shock yourself at what you can achieve. 

Only as an example. I did my hardest redpoint, a 7c+, at 59. And my best onsight,  a 7b, at 62.

Rich God 3 29 Aug 2022

Brilliant Megan.

Brought back some great memories!!

It's also good to hear I'm not alone with my middle aged approach! 

Rog Wilko 29 Aug 2022

Loved your pics of Arapiles. Of all the places I've climbed, The Mount has been the best.

Bobling 29 Aug 2022

Loved that, thank you! Totally relate, kids and commitments mean my log book is very sparse right now, but I'm hopeful for the future!

Rog Wilko 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Bobling:

> Loved that, thank you! Totally relate, kids and commitments mean my log book is very sparse right now, but I'm hopeful for the future!

If it’s any consolation Debbie and I did most of our climbing after the kids were old enough to look after themselves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...