UKC

NEWS: Cornish E7 for Cherry Bedford plus New Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Apr 2012
Cherry Bedford at Lower Sharpnose, Devon, 4 kbCherry Bedford has repeated the E7 6c Off the Mark at Robin's Rocks, West Cornwall.

The route is thirty five metres of steadily overhanging greenstone with fingery, engaging moves and big but safe runouts.

Meanwhile Alexis Perry has been busy leaving his own 'mark' at the crag...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67086

royal 30 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Good work, nice to see some Cornish news
 Cailean Harker 30 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Nice work guys. Great news! We will have to get down to check out the routes.
 Kafoozalem 30 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Cherry.
Some more insight at her thoughtfully written climbing blog here http://climbstuff.blogspot.co.uk/
 JH74 30 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Great stuff! If Cherry's (or partner or anyone who's done it) reading this what do they reckon to the French grade ish??
 biscuit 30 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome climbing and a great blog too, really well written.
 pezzerrr 01 May 2012
In reply to JH74:

Both Off the Mark and International Kidney Dealer are probably around 7c. Maybe. Maybe easier. Hard to grade these things. I graded IKD to be consistent with OTM. OTM isn't so bad once you know where the holds are but, as I perceive it, it's a hard onsight as most holds on that wall slope outwards, and finding the ones that don't is a tiring business. Same goes for IKD. If they're chalked, then it's going to really reduce the difficulty. Both routes are quite runout (esp. IKD), but then again, if you fall 10 metres into free space, is that a whole lot worse than falling 1 metre? And does a longer but safe fall warrant a higher grade? It's so much more cut and dried when you either hit the ground or you don't!

It might be that both routes get onsighted (they do have sufficient gear to encourage an onsight) and settle in at E6. Maybe they won't. In some sense it doesn't matter too much, they're both great and it's an absolute privilege to put up quality new routes in such a sublime setting.
 JH74 01 May 2012
In reply to pezzerrr:

Hey Pezerr, thanks for the reply. All the routes there look great. I'm going to have to pay a visit and have a wee look. I like the International Kidney Dealer name; is there a story behind that one I wonder? Congrats!!
 Mark Kemball 01 May 2012
In reply to UKC News: Link to the logbook page - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=567 some routes need adding!
 Ram MkiV 01 May 2012
In reply to UKC News: Good stuff, those routes sound and look great. Well done all round.
 pezzerrr 01 May 2012
In reply to JH74:

Surprisingly, it's horticultural and potato-based. Most good things in life are!

The International Kidney is a great cultivar...
 JH74 02 May 2012
In reply to pezzerrr:

Well I would agree there (better that than an illegal trade in human organs anyway) and I now know what a cultivar is too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...