UKC

ARTICLE: Crag Notes: Shifting Seasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Sep 2021

In this month's Crag Notes, Natalie Berry writes about shifting seasons and the impact of climate change on the Plan de l'Aiguille, the half-way point between the Chamonix Valley and its famous skyline of pinnacles. 

Spending time in and growing to know a place heightens a sense of responsibility towards it. The choughs in the Mont Blanc massif are like canaries in a coal mine, I realise. A sign of crises present and future as the mercury rises: crumbling mountains, melting glaciers, devastated ecosystems and climbing routes relegated to memory and media only.

Read more

Chris_Mellor 30 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice article. I particularly liked this phrase: "there's a silence that nonetheless has a sound." That resonated with me. As did the descent of the Montenvers ladders taking you down through glacial time.

Post edited at 14:31
 Ross McGibbon 01 Oct 2021

I remember, in the 1980s, using an old guidebook to set off for the Biancograt on Piz Bernina, which described a quick scoot up an icy gully. Instead we found ourselves on a slow and loose ascent, the gully having melted years ago.

John Cuthbert 01 Oct 2021

Beautifully composed, Natalie

McHeath 01 Oct 2021

First time I've heard of the Mont Blanc massif described as a "crag"!

I like your article though. 

DalesClimber 02 Oct 2021

Nice article, I enjoyed this. Having been going to the Alps for a for a few years now, the descriptions of the changed environment really resonated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...