UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Cry Freedom F8b+ - A Personal Account

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 22 Jun 2009
[Drew Haigh on Cry Freedom, 4 kb]Drew Haigh gives us a person account of his recent ascent of Cry Freedom (F8b+) at Malham Cove, Yorkshire.

"The first run on lead went well with a brutal set of moves I fought my way to last holds before powering out... I'd not given the top few moves the respect they deserved."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1933

Mick Ward 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article - congratulations!

I've been told that Steve Roberts top-roped Cry Freedom (clean) three times in an afternoon. If so, he deserves an honourable mention.

Superb effort... perhaps the rest of us could benefit from Simon's 'tough love' line in motivation!

Mick
 Nic 22 Jun 2009

Can someone enlighten me? What's a "French blow"...or as an adult should I have discovered that by now??
In reply to Mick Ward: Is Steve Roberts Roger Daltrey? If so I have heard the same
 dirtbag1 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
Steve Roberts (rock star)/ Roger Daltrey (rock star)
I believe the above rumour to be true.
 UKB Shark 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

For the record it was another Simon though I was there and in any case Drew/dirtbag didnt seem to look as though he required additional psyche.

He looked totally solid on the route and from where I was sitting was well within his capabilities - Rainshadow next ?
 craig d 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Simon Lee:

Has Ste Mac done it as well?
In reply to Simon Lee:

I would love to take some credit for the tick but even the 'punch me...' line I've stolen from someone else.
In reply to craig d:

Nope (afaik), but Simon L mentioned 'some German guy a decade a go'. No further info available on that.
 craig d 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Can someone enlighten me? What's a "French blow"...

Blowing the excess chalk from your fingers after dipping

or as an adult should I have discovered that by now??

Your possibly thinking of the Smythe blow. I could give more details but just remember he was very flexible!
In reply to craig d: No, apparently the last move is morpho. Not that I have been anywhere near it but Drew was down the Works on Saturday so I got the low down.
 craig d 22 Jun 2009

Jibe and Tony Mitchell are not very tall. I thought he might be saving it for the on sight.
 Andy Farnell 22 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1: Steve Roberts did indeed top-rope Cry Freedom cleanly 3 times but never got it on the sharp end, which is a great pity after all that effort.

The list of ascentionist on the front page is earily similar to the one I put on UKB. There is talk of 'some German bloke' doing CF back in the day, but no-one can remeber his name (as of yet).

AFAIK Ste Mac hasn't done it yet (could be wrong on that though), he did say it felt more like 8c for him as there's a move on it which he finds reachy.

Andy F
 Bill Davidson 22 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1:

Nice one Drew Looks like you'll be in fine fettle for the BLCC's!
Serpico 22 Jun 2009
As well as the mysterious German, apparently Raboutou did it as well, so there must be a shorties method.
 Andy Farnell 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Serpico: Didn't know Raboutou had done it, must have snuk in under the radar. Which would have been easy for him...

Andy F
 Mick Ward 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)
>
> For the record it was another Simon though I was there...

Thought you were far too nice for that malarky. Still, one does wonder - Royal Marine training and all that...

Glad to hear the Steve Roberts story true. Yes, he's a rock star!

I don't know about others but, when I hear about someone sending (oops!) something beyond my wildest dreams, I think, "Good for them!" followed by,"Well maybe you could put a little more effort in." And the truth is that nearly all of us can give it some more oomph.

Mick
Derbyshire Ben 22 Jun 2009
In reply to craig d:

>Your possibly thinking of the Smythe blow.

Ian Dunn 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Neil Carson has done it.
Didier didn't do it he had two days on it.
Serpico 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Ian Dunn:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> Didier didn't do it he had two days on it.

Is that definite? Lovatt's of the opinion he did.
 Fraser 22 Jun 2009

Nice write-up and excellent commentary. More like this please!
 Andy S 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Finally made an honest man of yourself and 'come out' on UKC Drew

The "Roberto 'The Stallion' Stalloni" made me laugh.

Good article hope you do well in the competitions this year.

Andy 'The Columbian Drug Baron' S.......
 dirtbag1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Andy S:
Cheers for that Andy....I think(?)
 Michael Ryan 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1:

I feel I must post the photo of you Drew.

Two Ticks.
 dirtbag1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Is this the 'World record medal + champers + sexy pose' photo?
 dirtbag1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1:
It is!
 Michael Ryan 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1:

best not to have a conversation with yourself on here Drew -
 Andy S 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1: No problem. By the way Drew, how does a fat b*stard like me lose weight? I may be beyond hope but I would like to lose some weight but still be healthy and eat well - I don't want to go hungry to lose weight. What sort of breakfast, dinner and evening meal do you usually have?
 Michael Ryan 23 Jun 2009
 dirtbag1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Andy S:
I'll PM you later Andy.
General diet advice on a public forum is not something I'm comfortable with, it needs keeping specific to the individual.
I'm a great believer in maxing out the technique and strength before hitting the rice-cakes.
Drew
 Andy S 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1: That would be great
In reply to dirtbag1: Have you got a copy of this footage? Is it on youtube? i missed it and i cant find it.

(Niiiiice winning pose by the way!)
In reply to dirtbag1:

ah but you've given the game away there.

breakfast:
a rice cake

lunch:
a rice cake

dinner:
a rice cake (two on training days)
 Will Hunt 09 Jul 2009

Nice Frenchies there, Drew. I've got them down to a tee now. Neil mentioned he'd been looking at Cry Freedom but I've forgotten how far he said he'd got on it. Needless to say Austria is being a complete washout for him so he'll no doubt come back psyched for something or other.

For those asking about Drew's training tips all they need do is live at the Depot for 6 days a week. Keep Steve Dunning in Yorkshire Tea while doing hour long sessions of stretches in between crushing sessions on the plastic. It's true dedication.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...