UKC

IN FOCUS: Culm Dancing: Culm Ice Memories

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 May 2021

The law of averages is the commonly held idea that a certain outcome or event, if repeated regularly, will over the course of time, occur at a frequency similar to its probability. Now most of us average climbers, I am not referring to any particular grade, like to hedge our bets by going on routes we have looked up in a glossy guidebook, which will give us some idea of what to expect. 

By Mick Fowler

Read more

Mick Ward 13 May 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Love it! The lunacy continues. Best series ever.  Am currently writing an account of a 1970s ascent of Post Mortem. Positively boring by contrast.

Mick

ericinbristol 13 May 2021

Flipping awesome! 

Mark Kemball 13 May 2021

Love it (there will be a short section "Culm Ice" at the end of the guidebook).

marksykes 21 May 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Great stuff - we made an ascent of Spekes waterfall in January/Feb of 1985 and again in '86.
The '85 ascent hit the headlines of 'The Hartland Times' and remains, to this day, the only time I have made the front pages.
there had been a series of NE winds and the spray from the waterfall had covered the wall to the right of the fall, so even Pressure Drop was covered. We picked a line between Pressure drop and the main fall and only top roped it, but it was still pretty awesome!
The next year saw less wind and bulging ice on either side of the main fall - we took the rh line at about grade IV

Mark Kemball 21 May 2021
In reply to marksykes:

Great, I'm afraid it's too late to change the info in the guide now! Your climb was a couple of year's before Dave Hillebrandt and Jon O'Neil climbed "Salute to the Admiral" - so you have the glory of the first ice climb on the Culm. I think top-roping is very sensible!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...