UKC

NEWS: Dave Birkett Fails On A Severe and a Tale of Two Daves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 18 Sep 2007
Birkett believes, and he is not one to blow his own trumpet, that If 6 Was 9 was the hardest trad route in the UK in 1992. But at that time the climbing media was focussed on the accessible Peak grit achievements, and was corrupted .....hoodwinked.......Nepotism and cronyism are not exclusively the disease of politics and big business.

And yes, news of Dave Birkett's failure on a Severe.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Chris F 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hardly "failure". Avoiding doing a route because of shitty weather sounds like a sensible idea to me.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Come on Mick....name names!
Anonymous 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris F:No, but its a good way to keep a celebrities name in the press. Beckham trips over in training etc. Has climbing really been reduced to mindless celeb culture like the rest of society?

Its time we all grew up
 Fredt 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Pedant warning. I must say Mick, that news item was tortuous to read. Spelling mistakes, incorrect punctuation, and a veritable avalanche of unnecessary commas. Do news items get proof-read? Should they be?
 GrahamD 19 Sep 2007

So just what WAS considered big media news in 1992 ? I don't remember that far back !
 stevomcd 19 Sep 2007

Well, Ardverikie Wall gets HS now according to the SMC selective guide...
 seagull 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:

"with inflated grades given by some individuals for publicity reasons to further their own careers and bank balances"

I cannot imagine who this might be about........ho ho.

Tom Briggs 19 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:
> (In reply to Richard Bradley)
>
> "with inflated grades given by some individuals for publicity reasons to further their own careers and bank balances"

Robin Barker Unfamiliar was climbed in '92. Trying to think which were the significant ascents on grit at that time... surely the early '90s was Barker / Pegg era on grit?

Peter Walker 19 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:
> (In reply to Richard Bradley)
>
> "with inflated grades given by some individuals for publicity reasons to further their own careers and bank balances"
>
> I cannot imagine who this might be about........ho ho.
>

Well, wasn't Mick's usual target for such comments actually out long-term injured at the time?
 seagull 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

It must be Robin. He was always one for overgrading and blowing his own trumpet. And Pego, the money he screwed from sponsors by inflating people's view of his own ability. Must be them.........

aln 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Wait a minute... Considering the unreliability of of Scottish winter conditions in recent times, are they arriving super early this year? Or just a blip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...