UKC

NEWS: David Hooper Passes Away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rn1934rr 12 Oct 2012
Sorry to break the very sad news that David died this morning following a long battle with cancer. He was a great guy who achieved much in his personal life whilst touching the lives of many and providing insprication.His deep belief in fairness and equality were deep rooted and he always strived to help anyone disadvantaged often to his own cost. Deepest sympathies to his wife Liz, son Mark, good friends Jason and Dave and to his many other friends and past work colleagues.

Roger Nowell

UKC Update - Thread now linked to this news report http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67517
 Padraig 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Have been dreading this news. Thoughts are with Liz, Mark, family & friends.

RIP
 gribble 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

RIP David. Thank you for being in our lives.
 shaggypops 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: sad, sad day.....may David now Rest in Peace
 The Pylon King 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

This is very sad. RIP David.
 Milesy 12 Oct 2012
RIP David. You will be sadly missed on here. My thoughts are with all your family and friends.
 ThunderCat 12 Oct 2012
In reply to gribble:

Spoke to him via mail a couple of times, he was going to show me a few nice walking routes around the Goyt Valley when he felt up to it. Seemed like a very nice chap.

mountainmadness 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

The worst kind of news, thank you Roger.

So sad, thinking of Liz, and David's family and friends and what they must be going through right now. Please accept my condolences. I can only imagine how difficult this must be.

RIP David
fxceltic 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP David
 Blue Straggler 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

RIP David, your fight was truly inspirational.
 bluebealach 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I'm really sorry to hear this news....heart felt condolences to his family and friends. RIP David.
 Alyson 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: It seemed that he made the most of every minute he had, even doing a charity bike ride while he was in pain. As you say, an inspiration to many people.

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends. RIP David, I hear heaven is miles of awesome singletrack x
 The Lemming 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I too would like to offer my condolences to David's family.

I hope that this thread offers some small comfort if it is read by his family.

ben b 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Somehow I can just imagine David on a bike heading down the single track with Chewie flying along behind, once again.

Rest in peace, David. You will be missed but I hope your legacy of kindness and decency will live on.

Ben
 Rubbishy 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Thanks for letting us know Roger.

David was a great bloke and he is going to be missed greatly. His spirit, courage and humour in dealing with his illness was incredible.
 Mike Peacock 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP David, and condolences to his friends and family. I never met him in person, but communicated with him a lot on line where he taught me how to play Go. He seemed like a great guy.
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Although I did not know David personally, I know a lot of people that do, and they have always spoke so highly of him. However, in recent times I think we all got an insight into the person that he was.

He will be sorely missed, especially his input to UKC. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

RFS
 beardy mike 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: What sad news. I never met him but he seemed a stand up guy - these things always seem to happen to the nicest people. As others have said - hopefully Chewwie has found him and they are already exploring...
 Clarence 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I only conversed with David a couple of times on here but I know he will be sadly missed by all who met him, virtually or in reality.

Condolences.
 Ridge 12 Oct 2012
In reply to ben b:
> (In reply to rn1934rr) Somehow I can just imagine David on a bike heading down the single track with Chewie flying along behind, once again.

That's exactly the image I was thinking of.

RIP David, and my sincere condolences to Liz, family and friends.

BALD EAGLE 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Desperately sad news RIP David and deepest condolences to all family, loved ones and friends.
 Axel Smeets 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I never met David, but from his postings on here and the comments from other people who did meet him, it seems the world is a lesser place today than it was yesterday. Sad, sad news. Thoughts with his family and friends.

Offwidth 12 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Very sad news but when good people die remember the good and try to follow their example in life.
 Trangia 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I didn't know David other than through this forum, and I had conversed with him a number of times, including a comforting email from him when I was diagnosed with cancer myself. I always enjoyed reading his posts and I am so sorry to read of his death. Yes, he was a great guy. My deepest sympathy and condolences to his family and friends.
 ayuplass 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
Very sad news. I did my CWA training with him and his love of climbing and the outdoors shone through everything he did and said.
My condolences to his wife and family
 waterbaby 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad news.
He shared so much of his journey with us and in the end I'm sure Chewie, family and friends (in spirit), were waiting to finish it with him.

RIP David.
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad news, he will be missed. Deepest sympathies to Liz and family.

GPBCG
 SimonCRMC 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Likewise only knew David through this forum where he was always a knowledgeable and generous-hearted conversation partner. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and everyone who knew him personally.
Simon
 sleavesley 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to ben b)
> [...]
>
> That's exactly the image I was thinking of.

Echoed

RIP David and my condolences to all his friends and family

TobyA 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: It's a funny thing that I guess many of us are still trying to get our heads around: getting to know someone a little through our computers and then equally trying to get our heads around hearing that they've gone. It's seeing someone almost daily without actually 'seeing' them, and then not seeing them again. We're the first generation in the history of humanity who are having to deal with that.

I'm not sure how long David has been a UKC regular, it sort of feels like I've been reading his contributions to one thread or another forever. At a guess, it must be the best part of a decade at least. Always friendly, always positive, even if he disagreed with you. RIP David, you'll be missed. And my best wishes to David's family and friends - I hope it's some small consolation that so many of us on UKC who didn't know him well, all seemed to be left with the opinion of 'what a nice bloke'.

Steve John B 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad news. Although I didn't know him personally he obviously gave a lot of love to those around him. Sympathies to his family and friends.
 wilkie14c 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
My thoughts with the family.
Sleep well friend, a fighter to the very end.
 Ian_Cognito 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I can't think of anything other than echoing what everyone else has said.

Never met him in person, which is surely my loss, but spoke to him on here a couple of times and appreciated his comments at the time.
 MattJP 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad news indeed! I am one of the many who never got to meet him, but was a 'friend' on Facebook and on here!

He was always positive and was always nice in threads even when he didnt agree with what someone had said!

A great inspiration to the end!

RIP.
 MattJP 12 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to rn1934rr) It's a funny thing that I guess many of us are still trying to get our heads around: getting to know someone a little through our computers and then equally trying to get our heads around hearing that they've gone. It's seeing someone almost daily without actually 'seeing' them, and then not seeing them again. We're the first generation in the history of humanity who are having to deal with that.
>
> I'm not sure how long David has been a UKC regular, it sort of feels like I've been reading his contributions to one thread or another forever. At a guess, it must be the best part of a decade at least. Always friendly, always positive, even if he disagreed with you. RIP David, you'll be missed. And my best wishes to David's family and friends - I hope it's some small consolation that so many of us on UKC who didn't know him well, all seemed to be left with the opinion of 'what a nice bloke'.

I agree and 'Like' this!

climber_medic 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Awful news. Always thought David liked to defend the little man and although I never met him he appeared to have a good heart and a nice way about him.

Very sorry to hear this news.

RIP
 butteredfrog 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

R.I.P. David
 Dee 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Thanks Roger. Very sad news.

Goodbye and thanks, David.

Valar morghulis.
 PontiusPirate 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sad news indeed - condolences to his family and friends - RIP David, you were definitely one of the good guys.

James.
 JSA 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

To echo many others, I never knew David in person, but I enjoyed reading his posts.
If the world was full of people like David it would be a much nicer place.

RIP David, Our thoughts are with you and your family and friends.
 cfer 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad to hear, RIP David
 Blue Roses 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad news about an inspirational man, I also only "knew" you here. You will be missed David. My thoughts are with your family x
 balmybaldwin 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.
— Henry David Thoreau

Rest in peace David, you have been an inspiration.
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I was going to say that this morning the world is a little poorer without him but on reflection it's better to think that he made the world a better place while he was with us.

Let's all be glad that we knew him a little.
 Banned User 77 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: A truly shit week.. great guy.
 lynda 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: so sad. Thank you for all your bike advice to me through FB and your discussions on UKC. RIP David; I hope you and Chewwie are having a great time together on the hills.

My condolences to David's friends and family

joan cooper 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP David. Chewie has a pal now.
 hokkyokusei 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I'm very sorry to hear that. RIP David.
 lowersharpnose 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

David Hooper was clearly a true and honest gent. I never met him and know him only from here. Sympathies to his family and friends.

marie 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP David, reunited with Chewwie. My deepest condolences to his family and friends x
 Al Evans 12 Oct 2012
In reply to joan cooper: RIP David, and my sincere condolences to Liz, family and friends.

In reply to rn1934rr:

What very sad news. But his reputation of being a great guy will live on.
 Toby S 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Like many others on here I only ever knew David through his posts on UKC and he always came across as someone with a remarkable outlook on life. His willingness to engage with people who had views the polar opposite of his own always struck me as the sign of someone who believed in being fair. Even to the point of offering to take one individual out for a pint and a spin on the bike. I wish I had half his tolerance and patience!

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
 Banned User 77 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike Peacock:
> (In reply to rn1934rr) RIP David, and condolences to his friends and family. I never met him in person, but communicated with him a lot on line where he taught me how to play Go. He seemed like a great guy.

He was the same online as in person...
 muppetfilter 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I met Dave and Chewie only once a few years ago. The measure of any person is how they are remembered by others, in this case warmly and with genuine affection.

Ava Adore 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Another person who never met David but who had good online dealings with him. Terrible news. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP David, the world's a poorer place without you.
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I only knew him through this forum, we were going to meet up one time to go climbing in the real world but sadly it never happened, I think it was at the start of his illness.

He lived out his illness on here with grace and courage.
Paul F 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

David was a great bloke and will be deeply missed.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.
 DNS 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

What a terrible shame. I'd like to think he's walking the dog again now.
 nikinko 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

David was one of the best people I knew. A friend to anyone who needed a friend, a role model, a guide both physical and spiritual, and an inspiration.

Rest in peace David. xxx
 Glyno 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I remember a few years ago chatting to this really likeable bloke with mad hair on a windswept Moel Famau summit.

I Didn't know it was David until for some reason clicking his profile on here a while after.

I 'knew' him for about 10 minutes. I'm glad I did.

Rest in Peace.
 John_Hat 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sad to hear, I didn't have much to do with him (we exchanged a few emails once in a while), but what I did tends to re-inforce the view of others who did know him that he was a good guy.

Greatest sympathy to family and friends.

Rubbishy 12 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA:

He was always the voice of reason and had a great way, as you say, of making a point but being positive and finding the middle ground.

As I put on his FB wall - he's off on the endless singletrack now with Chewie, in a Mint Sauce stylie
In reply to rn1934rr: I'm so sad to learn that David has lost his battle but was lucky enough to spend a little time with him in days gone by, and latterly online with friendship, advice and many kind offers to stay at his place in Capel.

In all my adult life there has been no one who has inspired me more than David to be a better, more positive and caring person. Like many others I'll miss him and know that I was blessed to have been a small part of his life.

Deepest condolences to Liz and the rest of David's family and friends.
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sad news. I only spoke to him once on the phone many years ago when trying to organise some training. Seemed like a very nice chap. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.
In reply to rn1934rr: a very pertinent example of how David had the fortitude and determination in life. Also his excellent persuasive skills.

http://www.justgiving.com/David-Hooper0

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=512536&v=1#x6943476
 Puppythedog 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Like many I do not know David other than on this forum and even then onnly in Glimpses. Despite this I am genuinely saddened to hear the news, after the charity bike ride I had been hoping that some sort of medical miracle would happen and he would just go on and on.
Deepest sympathies from myself and Mrs The Dog to his friends and family.

Rest In Peace David.
 Tom Hutton 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: RIP mate... a true inspiration to us all... I'll have that pint with you later...
 Pekkie 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Can't remember who said it but the advice was to approach the world with a warm heart. This is what David did and he is a role model for us all.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad news; he was clearly a great bloke who will be missed. Condolences to friends and family.

RIP
In reply to rn1934rr:

sad, sad news

i never met David, but exchanged posts with him on here on a number of topics. He always had something worthwhile and sensible to say, and a kind and reasonable way of saying it

rest in peace, David

gregor
 thedatastream 12 Oct 2012
Very sad news. I met David when he led our CWA training a couple of years ago. Really nice bloke, generous, very friendly and enthusiastic with a great teaching style. My deepest condolences to his family, he will be missed by many.
 mypyrex 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I never met David other than on these pages, although I did, a few months ago, suggest I'd meet him for a pint in the Ty'n y Coed.
I feel doubly gutted now that he has passed and that I never got round to meeting him. I will still spin that prayer wheel for him in Nepal.
 petestack 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

So sorry to hear this news, but will remember you with thanks and affection, David!

Sincerely
P
 Keendan 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I enjoyed watching this video again.

youtube.com/watch?v=UhVeb-4tmd4&
 mattrm 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad news. Like others, I've only ever read David's posts, but he seemed like a good guy. My condolences to the family.
 gethin_allen 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
Sad news, sincere condolences to all his family. A quick look at the popularity of forum threads enquiring about him shows just how much people thought about him.
 tombeasley 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad, RIP David
 Andy Say 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
Bugger. He'll be missed by many. But remembered by many.
 Greenbanks 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sad news. May a Top Bloke rest in peace

Greenbanks
 owlart 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I can't add anything that hasn't already been said by everyone else. Sincere sympathy to his family & friends. RIP.
 Alex Slipchuk 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Although i never net the guy. We have had a few exchanges of banter on this forum. I have a lot of respect for the guy (of what i know) as he was true to himself, held his ground and always the diplomat, whilst at the same time always open to suggestion and never afraid to review his opinion. Thoughts, wishes and love to his family and friends through this difficult time.
 Dax H 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
I hope your sat up there with chewing and a brew at peace with the world.
 The Ivanator 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad news, I lost a friend and colleague recently who was also an inspirational and principled man. All you can do is try to pick up on the example set by these people and become a better human yourself. David will live on through us. Thoughts and sympathy to David's family and friends.
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

So sorry the hear this, my condolences to his family too, I only knew David off here but he seemed to me to be one of those positive nice people of the world and we all need them in our lives, RIP David.
 Frank4short 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Terrible news. I never met David, despite a couple of failed attempts to get something mtbing going in nth wales. Though in saying this I always had a good time talking to him on the threads here. He came across as one of the best, most honest, most reasonable and likeable characters on these forums. He always stood up for what he believed in and often argued down posters with racist or other unacceptable viewpoints with a cool head and calm reasoned argument. He may not have ever changed any of their opinions but always came out the best of any of those interchanges he was involved in. His passing is a great loss to his family, his friends, this community and society as a whole. RIP.
 JamButty 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: very sad...RIP.
 birdie num num 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
David I followed your progress through hope and despair, and this was the last thing I wanted to hear. Just glad that we managed to spend some time together.
 scylla750 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: So so sorry to hear this news, i had the enormous pleasure of being taught by David on an S.P.A course a few years back, one of the most genuine guys I ever met. my condolences to his family and Chewy.
 Goucho 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very very sad news - sincere condolences to his wife and family.

Gouch.
 Pete Ford 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Terrible news. David was a true inspiration, I always liked to follow threads which involved his points of view. My condolences to his family.

Pete Ford
 Denni 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Pete Ford:

How very sad, only met him a few times, mostly in the pub!
Great, compassionate chap who had more time for others than himself.
Condolences to Liz and all affected.
 subalpine 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Name your price
And take it to paradise
I can't stay here any more
And I've looked high and low
I've been from shore to shore to shore
If there's a short cut I'd have found it
But there's no easy way around it

Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer

Who knows why
Someday we all must die
We're all homeless boys and girls
And we are never heard
It's such a lonely world
People turn their heads and walk on by
Tell me, is it worth just another try?

Tell me, are we alive, or just a dying planet?
What are the chances?
Ask the man in your heart for the answers

And when you feel afraid, love one another
When you've lost your way, love one another
When you're all alone, love one another
When you're far from home, love one another
When you're down and out, love one another
All your hope's run out, love one another
When you need a friend, love one another
When you're near the end, love one another
We got to love one another

Light of the world, you got to shine
Love will be a means, yeah, yeah
Shine on us all
Know that love can save the day
Just give it one more chance
Lord you just can't let it stop Lord
Love is the answer
Got to be free to let love into your life
Let it shine

RIP David
 Carless 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Ahh bollocks - that's not good news

Never met him, but he always came across on here as a fine bloke

RIP David and my sincere condolences to family and friends

MJ 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Like many, I only knew David through these forums. However, in those fleeting moments, you could see that he was a genuine, humble and caring person.
He will be sorely missed on these forums and his diplomacy and tact even under adversity, should serve as a valuable and lasting lesson to us all.

RIP
 graeme jackson 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
Very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with David and his family.
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

RIP David. There is small cabin by a lake, deep in the forest of northern Saskatchewan. In the cabin there is a book with your name in it which I placed there last year to help send positive vibes. I always hoped you would get a chance to visit it yourself. Sadly not but I hope it made you smile to think you could touch such a far away place?
 mrchewy 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Came home from work smiling after some decent tunage on the way home and then get hit with this - really crap news. My sympathies are with the many on here who knew him and his family and friends. Reading this thread, it seems he made a good name for himself during his brief lifetime and that is testimony to a thoroughly decent chap.

Sad times.
 Mick Ward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I’ve just seen this. I’m gutted. David was wise. And he was compassionate. He gave so much to us. Liz, I’m desperately sorry.

Mick
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad sad news. RIP David. Condolences to his familiy and all that knew him. He was a great guy by all accounts - I passed my SPA course with him and he was a font of knowledge and a genuinely nice gent.
mountainmadness 12 Oct 2012

To find out more about this amazing man, go find the comments left on his Facebook page - so moving.

dread-i 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

It's a measure of the man that he is loved and respected by so many. I never met him or knew him, and yet I feel his loss, as do many others. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
 marsbar 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad to hear this. My condolences to all his family and friends. I'd like to think he is with a waggy happy Chewie now.
 climbingpixie 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Terrible news. From his posting on here he always seemed like one of the good guys and I'm sure he'll be desperately missed. My thoughts are with his family.
 Ron Walker 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sorry to hear this... condolences to family and friends...

Ron
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad to hear this; I didn't know him but few posters on here would be missed more sadly or by more people. RIP and condolences to the family.

jcm
 MHutch 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Really sorry to hear this, he was a lovely guy.

Please pass my condolences to his family.
 StuLade 12 Oct 2012
In reply to MHutch: Sad to hear, very generous and nice guy on the few occasions I came into contact with David. Sounds like he had a pretty awesome life and will be missed.
Daithi O Murchu 12 Oct 2012
In reply to StuLade:

very sad,

RIP David, thanks for your kindness
 wushu 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Terribly sad news to hear.

Rest in peace David, I've still yet to meet another climber with as much kindness, energy and a genuine enthusiasm to see others climb as I saw with you.

I hope you and Chewie are both off climbing some new mountains now.
 toad 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Axel Smeets:
> (In reply to rn1934rr)
>
> I never met David, but from his postings on here and the comments from other people who did meet him, it seems the world is a lesser place today than it was yesterday. Sad, sad news. Thoughts with his family and friends

These are precisely my sentiments. Very well put. My sincere condolences to all who loved him
In reply to rn1934rr:

David's warmth and thoughtfulness showed us the best of the human spirit.

My thoughts go to his close relatives and friends.

Steve
topout123 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad loss of a personal friend of mine. I'm going to miss him. Lots of love to Liz. R.I.P David. Climb high. Xxx
 Tom Last 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Terrible shame. Seemed like a bloody nice bloke. RIP David.

Tom
 BigHell 12 Oct 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Axel Smeets)
> [...]
>
> These are precisely my sentiments. Very well put. My sincere condolences to all who loved him

I would like to offer our condolences to Davids family, from me and the guys...Ray Jeff and Gary.
 Phase 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Thoughts with his family and friends. A sad day
skarabrae 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: deepest sympathies & condolences to all who new him.
Never met him, but enjoyed his input on these forums.

Davey.
 pog100 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
There's something about David that means that his death just confirms, as his life did, that we are all part of a wonderful world and we should be making the most of of it.
Thank you, David
 ring ouzel 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Gutted to hear this. Wanted to go biking with him in Wales when he got better. I firmly believed he *would* get better. RIP big man, you will be so missed. Give Chewie a pat for us.
 Stevie A 12 Oct 2012
RIP David. Sincerest condolensces to the family.
 blurty 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I was just thinking about him yesterday - I came across a link on the Singletrack Forum to his thread about super comfortable cycling shorts.

He was a great bloke
In reply to rn1934rr:

Met David whilst doing my SPA; really nice down to earth guy. Will be greatly missed by all.

RIP David.
 cuzdave 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: A truly great and inspirational man and a great friend too, Dave took me through my paces either on the hill, crag, bike, but always began and ended with a bloody good cafe! Happy memories I'll always treasure. Rest well mate, thinking of Liz and the family...
ccmm 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Truly sad news. I, like many of you, have only known David through here. He was inspiring. Condolences to all who new the man.

Gone back to the stars.

Caralynh 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sad news. RIP David. We spoke a little, but never met. My loss.
Condolences to Liz and the family xx
 LaMentalist 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

In the words of Bubbles ( from The Wire ) , Its a thin line between heaven and here !

David you are missed already , thank you for all the wise words , encouragement and inspiration . Respect and fond memories , peace out .

Leon . XX
In reply to rn1934rr:

John Appleby has just put up this tribute to David:

http://footlesscrow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/goodbye-david-hooper.html
 Enty 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to rn1934rr)
>
> John Appleby has just put up this tribute to David:
>
> http://footlesscrow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/goodbye-david-hooper.html

Fantastic John!

E
 Postmanpat 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

I never met David but his passion for the outdoors was infectious and his heart was very clearly in the right place. A very sad loss. My condolences to his friends and family .
 Liam M 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad news. I'm reminded of an article by Wingnut a few years ago that captured that sense that many of us despite never meeting David, we grew to feel we knew him. He felt a good and warm person to know.

Thoughts to all friends and family.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=138
 icnoble 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Even though I never met David or even talked to him on this forum, when I learned of his death I genuinely felt a sense of loss.
 Siward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to icnoble: Agreed. Not much I can add to the above. RIP.
 samwillo 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Siward: Dave took me for my CWA training and assessment, great guy, great teacher. Really sad loss.
 Paul Atkinson 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: I'm so very sorry to hear of David's passing. A truly good and inspirational man. The world is a better place for his having been here and he lives on in the hearts and minds of all he interacted with and in the crags and hills. Love and condolences to Liz, his family and friends

Paul
 bluebealach 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I posted earlier but now feel I know David just a little better. Thanks John, a truly inspirational video of David, his work and the character of the man
 pat m 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Siward: I was lucky enough to meet Dave at I.M.Marsh College in the 80’s when he was my granddad – there to show us young pups the ropes (literally on occasions), his warmth, humour and patience shone through – as did his love of dodgy music. After a twenty year gap it was a joy to catch up with him on UKC in naughties – and yet again he was happy to share his knowledge and experience with others.

Thoughts of love to his family at this difficult time, I hope you can take some comfort from what high regard everyone who met him held him in – but you of all would know why.
 abr1966 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very sad to hear this, but been expecting it with him not being on here in a fair while.

RIP David and thoughts to your loved ones. I'm not sure if I met Dave, I recall meeting a guy about 15 years ago in the bunkhouse at Kinlochewe, having seen his pic on here I always thought it may have been him, if it was he was a fine guy....and if it wasn't reading stuff on here certainly confirms that David was a top bloke.

A good reminder and inspiration for all of us who could and should get out more to get on and do it...
In reply to bluebealach:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth) I posted earlier but now feel I know David just a little better. Thanks John, a truly inspirational video of David, his work and the character of the man

It is fitting that the video ends with the words:

"There is something in the human spirit that will survive and prevail
There is a tiny and brilliant light burning in the heart of man
That will not to out no matter how dark the world becomes."
Leo Tolstoy

And here, for simplicity, is a direct link to the video:

youtube.com/watch?v=UhVeb-4tmd4&
 SARS 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sorry to hear this, seemed a decent fellow from his posts I read.
 Wee Davie 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

This is sad news. Like many posting on this thread I never met him but the positivity and good vibes that came through all his posts, even when he was (presumably) suffering massively from his illness, are sobering and have definitely led me to question my own contributions.
My condolences to those who knew and cared about him.
In reply to rn1934rr: Sad news indeed, we've all lost out.
 SonyaD 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Never met David either but he always came across as 'real', kind and sincere. There are many who were very touched by his person, whether on here or offline, which is a testament to his good nature. RIP David and condolences to those who knew and loved him.
 nightmonkeyuk 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
sad times.

yet another reminder to live life as much as you can while you're here.

Mal Grey 12 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

So sorry to hear this news, and my thoughts are with his family tonight.

David, thanks for being an inspiration to so many of us. Rest easy, my friend, with Chewie by your side.

In reply to rn1934rr: Indeed a very sad day for everyone!

David provided my SPA training a few years back, I found him to be an extremely likeable bloke. He was even kind enough to put me up in his cottage in North Wales during the course.

He will be truly missed! My thoughts are with his close friends and family.
 jon haynes 13 Oct 2012
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:
All I can do is echo the sentiments in the above posts. Seemed like a top bloke from reading his posts on here. Rest easy David.
 jon haynes 13 Oct 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
Nice one num num. youtube.com/watch?v=QWYrzBuRbEM&
 dale1968 13 Oct 2012
Rest In Peace
topout123 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Daniel Heath: I've enjoyed watching this video. I’m glad to say I knew David well, as a friend & climbing partner. Many is the time we’ve shuck hands & patted each other on the back after doing a great days hard climbing. I’m going to miss my old rock buddy. R.I.P David x
In reply to rn1934rr: Never nice to hear of a death. Sympathy to all friends and family.
 mark s 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: met david once and we spent a while talking about the dogs we had,as they ran around playing.
a genuine nice guy who will be missed.
 Skyfall 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

As with many others, I never actually met David, unfortunately. However his calm and considered posts on UKC will be greatly missed. David was held in such high regard by almost everyone on UKC that he was the person we all listened to on matters involving climbing instruction (and considering the personalities on here that's quite remarkable). The video clip of David goes some way to explaining why that was. RIP David.
 Mooncat 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. It's a great shame we never got to do our long planned ridgeway walk together.

RIP Dave.
 Dominion 13 Oct 2012
Sad news.

Rest in Peace, David

In reply to rn1934rr:

I met David via UKC back in 2007 when I was looking to piggy back on a trip to Rjukan, David became a close friend and mentor for me not only in climbing terms but as a friend and compatriot.

Its nice to see so many tributes on here from everybody, he loved his sport dearly and was intimately connected with the outdoors, it was his life and his love of mother nature was reflected in his positive attitude and warm spirit. There were never any exclusions with David, everyone was welcome and 'the more the merrier' was always a rallying call. He will be sadly missed.

As David was recovering from surgery earlier this year he often logged onto UKC to relieve some of the boredom of being indoors, yet this sometimes proved to be very upsetting for him, as at times there were some downright vitriolic responses to his comments and posts from forum members and some heavy handed comments from moderators...

For me this is the bitter-sweet side of the UKC forums. Theres no doubting we have a wonderful climbing community here in the UK, and everyone I have ever met in this country whilst climbing and mountaineering have been wonderful and insightful people. I just think its a shame that when many us climb aboard the UKC ship we tend to forget where we are and start behaving like angry motorists stuck in a car jam...

Didn't want this post to come across as a negative, especially given David was such a positive person - (it was only 2 months ago when he defied the doctors statement that "he would never ride a mountain bike again" to go and do a 12 mile lap of the red at Llandegla Forest with Dom and I)... Whilst a lot of the things that went on on this site gave him great joy, there were many that deeply upset him...

A little bit of introspection in memory of David please people...

RIP David Hooper x
 omerta 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

A very sad loss; he was a great friend to me, having only met in person about 18 months ago, and both the way he lived and what he'd done will hopefully serve as a continuing motivation to all those folks who were lucky enough to know him

With love to Liz and Mark at this difficult time

Sarah
 yer maw 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: sincere condolences to his friends and family. He seemed a much better man than I.
In reply to rn1934rr:
Really sad, didn't know him but will miss his posts. Condolences to the family.
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> Never met David either but he always came across as 'real', kind and sincere. There are many who were very touched by his person, whether on here or offline, which is a testament to his good nature. RIP David and condolences to those who knew and loved him.

Agreed. Sad news and sincere condolences to those close to David.

T.
In reply to rn1934rr:

Like many others, I only knew you through these forums but it was easy to spot that you were one of the good guys. RIP David and my deepest condolences to your family.
 Dominion 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Dominion:
> Sad news.
>
> Rest in Peace, David

I feel I ought to add more, but when I saw this thread this morning I got a little bit choked up, and put the bare minimum I could cope with at that point.

Trying to write this now, I've got tears streaming down my face, and I can barely see the computer screen.

I never met David Hooper other than on-line, and that's my loss.

When I was in hospital last year having one fairly major operation, and - 2 months later - a follow up, reconnection job, David emailed me as a response to some of my posts on this forum detailing the misery I was going through from the after effects of these operations, as he was going through operations and other medical horrors and worries like I was.

I wish that at some point in my life I can be as outgoing and supportive to someone I'd never met as he was to me.

Andy Mountains 13 Oct 2012
It has takem me 36 hours to post on this thread.
I feel like we have all been robbed of somebody very special.
I feel that I wish I'd taken David up on his many offers of meeting up to go mountain biking.
I wish I had done that SPA course with him he offered me at a discounted rate because I 'knew' him on facebook.
I feel that I am a lesser person for never having actually met David in person.
I feel that although David and I spoke via email, UKC & facebook on many occasions about our illnesses, and how we would get over them and meet up at his cottage and go climbing in Snowdonia, and not let poor health get us down, and climb and climb and climb, and enjoy the outdoors & nature &.....

and I don't know what else to say, other than I am gutted I never met this vibrant, passionate, loving, accepting, left wing hippy in person. I feel like I think many (if not all) other UKCers do, that we love him and life will not be the same without this special man.

Rest in Peace David Hooper xxx See you later mate

Greenbanks 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains:

Yes - agreed. Like many who have landed briefly on these forums, DH was a person to draw on for inspiration and a sensible view of stuff that we all are involved in. The posts on here are witness to his influence - and will hopefully be a source of strength to family and friends. I was not either, but have been touched by all of this.

In Turkey at the moment, working...a few slugs of the local spirit for you, an unknown but nonetheless influential friend.

Cheers David.
 Greenbanks 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Greenbanks:

Apologies for a grammatical error in the previous post - I was referring to myself as that person who was 'landing briefly on these forums', and not David, who has clearly been a stalwart
 birdie num num 13 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
I went over to see David in his flat around three months ago, not long after he had recieved the awful news that the cancer was back on his liver, it was pressing on his bile duct and making him tired and jaundiced, he looked frail, thin, yellow and his skin was maddeningly itchy and I felt so sorry for him. He was however, in good spirits, wouldn't let me make the tea and never once lamented his condition. In fact, he produced his new cycling shorts and went into great detail how the special padding protected his sore arse. We had a long chat and a laugh but I came away thinking that might be it for David.
It wasn't, cycling adventures were to follow, and fundraising, credit to Dom Stockton and Jamie Light on their great love for David and helping him in his final circuit of Llandegla, they must be feeling this very hard.
David's spirit conquered death, he's shown us all how to do it.
 David Dear 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: As a friend of Dave and Liz and his son Mark and his close friends, I have been asked just to make a quick, immediate response to the flood of sympathy and condolences expressed here on UKC. We have been moved beyond words and humbled by the outpouring of thoughts, emotions and genuine feelings and love expressed by so many of you. There are those of you who knew him and even more who knew him through his postings on UKC. He touched so many peoples lives and enriched the lives of so many of us, that all we can say at the moment is, thank you so much to all who that have written, thank you...
 JoshOvki 14 Oct 2012
In reply to David Dear:
> He touched so many peoples lives and enriched the lives of so many of us

So incredibly true. I am very saddened to hear this news, and I hope everyone is holding up okay. A true loss of a genuine guy.

Morgan Woods 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad to hear this. Thanks for introducing the Berger St Picard to the UKC community :p
 Dom Whillans 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to Dominion)
> [...]
>
>
> I wish that at some point in my life I can be as outgoing and supportive to someone I'd never met as he was to me.
>

I can only echo what everyone else here has said, but Dominion's thought is particularly apt...
I can't really get my thoughts in order, so today I'm just going to head out to Llandegla, try to convert a couple of climbing buddies into mountain biking and generally just be in a place that Dave and Chewwie loved. I'm hoping in time that maybe UKC's bikers may want to come along on a similar ride, enjoy a cappuccino and a bacon barm with fried onions and maybe raise a smile and a few quid for Dave's favourite charities.
johnj 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Dom Whillans:

I can understand why he loved the place, I'm always good to make it over for future rides.

Rest in Peace David xxx
Yrmenlaf 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

There's nothing to add: Rest Peacefuly, David.

Y.
 BrianT 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Very saddened to hear of David's death, even though I knew it was coming. The last time I saw him, in June, when he visited us with Liz, he seemed so vibrant still and full of plans for his final months of life. He was even out mountain biking soon after, the video of which is on youtube.

I didn't know him all that well, all things told, but I knew enough of him to recognise a kindred spirit on a lot of levels.

He gave me a Gransfors Bruks axe as a wedding present. I'll think of him whenever I use it.

RIP David. Valar morghulis.

Some pics of him from his visit in June are in a public photo album via facebook
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151091424057616.443332.63801261...
 Simon CD 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Very sad news. Like many on here I didn't know David, but felt I did through his posts on UKC. Clearly one of the good guys. Condolences to his family and friends.

Simon
In reply to rn1934rr: roar In Paradise dave you took me from the ghettos 25 years ago and made me a climber a black climber too,your trust and friendly nature was all it needed to break me free thanks for this and thanks from the kids at the hope project for your early support .
We hope we can carry on your work with as mutch enthusiasm and trust as you showed me in llanberis all those years ago your niche was your millitant humour that is so needed in a storm .
The climbing world lost a major voice two days ago Roar In Paradise brother go give st peter stick for us all sleep easy bro pain no mo x sam ps LIZ !! you rock thanks for total being there for him x
 Simon 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

so gutted me mate's gone but he would have been so happy that team UKC have given such support and happy references...

...he was a true gent, creative person and a voice of reason. He could climb a bit as well as being a grumpy bugger... which of course we loved as well as ChewwieB... man and dog were one team you didn't mess with!

condolences & sympathies to Liz & Family - you have all been so brave...

Sincere best wishes

Si
 Up High 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

A cloud passed over the sun today,
when I heard Dave passed away,
But then I remembered your smiling Face
The world it seemed a better place.

Your enthusiasm for life shone through,
It enthused every one you taught and knew.
You were a free spirit in soul and mind
always true fair and kind.

Your wisdom and knowledge you loved to impart,
from the bottom of your great big heart,
Never quick to judge and always fair,
Man I'll never forget that mad hair.

When up to North Wales we came,
not knowing anyone was a shame.
you passed by the house with a cheery wave,
so I asked the kids who's the new friend they made.
they said we called him Dreadlocks Dave.
The name stuck and seemed to fit,
we will always remember you by it.

Thanks for the time we knew you Dave,
you were a great guy a true free spirit, so warm hearted and positive, a truely inspirational character so unassuming and at ease with
life.
we all miss you

Our thoughts and love to Liz and family.

Simon Jill Megan and Rebecca.

Neil Watson 14 Oct 2012
I had the good fortune of meeting Dave, just the once at Casseg Fraith. A loss to this world.
 andyb211 14 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Bye for now David, have us one in the pump and I'll no doubt be along in a bit for a yarn, In meanwhile lots of love to you and Liz & Mark.

Andy Rebecca Callum Tom James Jonny Euan & baby Sophia, yes another one!! (that would have made you smile!)
 Ava Adore 15 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Only just noticed the picture on the front page. A glorious picture.
 jkarran 15 Oct 2012
Goodbye David, it's been a pleasure talking with you. You've been a voice of generosity and decency that'll be sorely missed.

jk
 Kate Edhouse 15 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Really sad news. Daiv took me for my SPA training back in 2007 when i knew virtually nothing about climbing, his passion for the sport inspired me to carry on with this climbing malarky. 5 years on ive spent 4 years working as an instructor partly down to the fact of his laid back and enthusiastic view to teaching climbing. He'll be sorely missed in the climbing community. Rest in Peace.
Removed User 15 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

This is really sad news to come home to.

There were no other posters on here I would have been more pleased to have met in the hills, on the trails or in a pub. Now I won't, and that saddens me. A voice of reason, decency, kindness and good cheer always on these forums, and will be very much missed.

My condolences to Liz, and all his nearest and dearest. Be joyful for all the time you had with him.

Stuart (biped)
 Snowboy 15 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Rest in Peace David. You were a gentleman and a true inspiration.
 TN 16 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

This really upset me when I found out, I know only too well how much Liz must be hurting. It is amazing to see the great tributes to David other.
I hope he and Muz/Julian are ripping up the trails and behaving disgracefully, wherever they are...
Bye for now, you sweet kind man.
 Dave Todd 17 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Really saddened (and shocked) to read this last night. I'd been away from the computer for a couple of days (introducing my 6 year old son to Welsh singletrack as it happens - I think David would have approved) so I missed this story.

Reading the whole thread it sings out how cherished David was by everyone and just how much inspiration he's given to so many. His influence has spread far and wide.

Rest in peace David, thanks for everything.
 tommyzero 17 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr: Like everybody else I only had amazing interactions with David. When I was a naive newbie David took some time to write to me and give me positive useful advice instead of jumping on the bandwagon to insult or tease me for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for sharing this news. It's a sad loss.
 bpmclimb 19 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:

Sorry to hear that. I only knew him via these forums but I liked him a lot.
NIKDOLPHIN 23 Oct 2012
In reply to rn1934rr:
> Sorry to break the very sad news that David died this morning following a long battle with cancer. He was a great guy who achieved much in his personal life whilst touching the lives of many and providing insprication.His deep belief in fairness and equality were deep rooted and he always strived to help anyone disadvantaged often to his own cost. Deepest sympathies to his wife Liz, son Mark, good friends Jason and Dave and to his many other friends and past work colleagues.
>
> Roger Nowell
>
> UKC Update - Thread now linked to this news report http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67517

Just wanna say I will miss David alot I am one of those he helped and i hope I can help others the way he did, miss you mate R.I.P Nikolas Royale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...