UKC

NEWS: Day 21 Dawns For Hard Rock Challenge Team (full update)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2007
Having done all the Hard Rock routes in the Lakes, the Hard Rock Challenge Team have moved to North Wales, making their base at the Snowdon Inn, just outside Llanberis. Nicely timed to coincide with this weekends Gogarth Glorious First Festival.

Yesterday they were joined by Stehen Reid, Alan Hinkes and Lord of the Lakes, Dave Birkett. The previous day, Chris Bonington joined them for an ascent of Praying Mantis on Goat Crag.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Al Evans 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: They are doing stunningly well, brilliant boys, you will be sooooo fit after it
OP Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Sam said that so far they have travelled 3,100 miles, which was their original estimate for the whole Challenge.

Mark and Rich are doing incredibly well. Obviously getting supremely fit, although Rich did say that the Scottish routes were the hardest so far, as Birkett says you have to add on a grade for the walk-ins and big atmosphere in Scotland.

Quite an inspiration, especially for those who don't get out because of bad weather. They have done so much inspite of the bad summer we are having.

They are climbing very efficiently as a team and they managed the Cracks and Kipling Groove in the time it took Hinkes and Reid to do the Cracks.

I'm sure we all know how exhausting a full weekends cragging can be, hard to imagine 35 days on the trot.

Mick

Simon 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

I had 2 days as a hard rocker and can vouch that I was kernakered after - and I didn't even get to climb (well a sneaky boulder at the end of Saturday at Stanage)

..mind you getting up at 6.30 the next day to make food for the team whilst they had a well deserved rest - was fairly tiring... ;0)

Keep going lads and proove me wrong and tick em all - keep ratling the tin Mark!!

Si
 BrianT 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon: Bummer that we missed the Peak District leg of the HRC (we were in Galway) but good effort chaps. I'm sure you'll do it!
 Panda :o) 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

I'm off again this weekend to meet the team in Wales. Rich said that I'm only allowed up if I bring more cakes ... Pavlov eat your heart out!

Anyway, please put your hand in your pocket and make a donation to Mountain Rescue. The whole team have been working really hard (Sam and Si are the unsung heros) and too few people have actually been donating.

Keep on reading the blog
 Banned User 77 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Panda : I was just sroking Tuffa in Joe browns, recognised him from years ago when we stayed at the orange house.
 sutty 02 Aug 2007
In reply to IainRUK:

Yes, lovely docile dog isn't it? Was planning on coming down this weekend but looks as if the site may be a bit full.
In reply to IainRUK:

Don't believe her, Tufa makes out that she's all starved of affection, but we know better ... she is quite useful for extracting donations though, especially from non-climbers
 Simon 02 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
>
> Yes, lovely docile dog isn't it?

You try taking her over the Moors from Curbar to Froggatt - she fair dragged me at 120mph!

...She's not used to sheep at the Orange House ..... ;0)

Si
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Tufa was more tired than Bonington on the walk into Praying Mantis, although im not sure who is older in dog years!

I've managed to get a break for good behaviour so anyone that can help Sam keep the boys moving, then get your arse to Wales, if you can handle a video camera too it helps!!
In reply to Hard Rock Challenge:

I'm going up ... not going to use the video camera though!
Sam M 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Panda :

Update.

Sat in Petes Eats and I am more knackered that I have all trip! today was horrible, the boys climbed The Big Groove last night after The Groove (Groovy Day!)

Today they went early to do Gogarth, we then met them at the top of Dream Of White Horses with Gaz Parry.

They climbed it in a Force 8 gale and rain, I am so cold and wind swept I feel ill, the boys had a laugh! Dave Simmo and I came out worse I think as we sat on the ledge and got the full brunt of the wind!

Not sure what will happen tomorrow we will wait for the weather.

Sam
 Simon 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

The Weather will break tomorrow Sam - you will be fine - but the Peak's gonna be poo - so good luck and sorry to hear that it was a bit shizzle today - push on team, push on - and get some rest while you can!

;0)

Si
Sam M 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

Sat in Petes again and the weather is really really bad they get a day off finally, but means they have to climber harder to get out of Wales on Wed.

Sam
 Simon 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

I saw the weather for you guys today and my heart sank for you.

Just to throw something else into the mix - bloody foot & mouths back...

What next we wonder?!!

keep going chaps!!!!

si
 sutty 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Saw the forecast and scrubbed coming down. A day off will be good for them, and you, as all can get a rest without disturbance, Make it a no work done day for you as well, still a lot of driving left.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...