UKC

NEWS: DWS Festival Pembroke: Saturday July 28th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 06 Jul 2007
Mike Weeks has announced that this year's deep water soling festival will be held at Pembroke on Saturday, 28th July.

Mike sent us this email:

"The MOD, Parks and local Conservation groups have kindly allowed us permission to hold the fest at Newton Head on July 28th.......

Great photo illustrating this news report too.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 MNA123 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ohhhhh whose going to this then? I'm in two minds, will have to get friday off wrk as cant be bothered to do a5hr drive on a friday evening. But neva done this DWS lark so mite be a chuckle!
 climbingjohn 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:
Im defo up for it, a weekend of long falls seems like a good idea to me. Best stock up on chalk bags.
 JPGR 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Anyone got any info on the punters DWS stuff on Sunday? Is the plan still Barrel Zawn. Was all arranged to go on the previous August dates, but now this weekend clashes with the Club BBQ meet in North wales. Humm, Trad or DWS. Like trad would ever win that decision. See you all there
 MNA123 06 Jul 2007
In reply to climbingjohn: A cheaper alternative then buying loads of chalk bags is cutting the bottom off a plastic bottle and filling it with loose chalk, after every splashdown just wipe dry and re-fill

Yeah i think i mite have to go,getting there late thursday nite for some trad action all day friday sounds like a plan, u up for that?
 climbingjohn 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:
Ahh yea! get a bit of practise in before falling off becomes slaptastic.
 MNA123 06 Jul 2007
In reply to climbingjohn: I wanna climb rock idol, not sure where it is and don't have a pembroke guide hmmmm online topo's maybe? anyway ive told me boss i mite need the friday off and he says thats not a problem. Talk to ya bout it 2mo anyway,bring on good weather for a play at stanage
Shopping 4 guns 06 Jul 2007
In reply to climbingjohn:

If your after chalk bags then have a look at Malhamba.com, they have some which are designed for dws. I have one and as they state they do dry within minutes. (that is if it's not like the current weather and continually pi**ing it down!) Buy one and you'll only need one chalk bag, easy.
(marktomlinson) 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz: its at Mother Carey's you dont need a topo as its pretty obvious where the line goes if you've seen a photo.

Will Hunt 10 Jul 2007
What the hell happened to the old dates of 11th & 12th August at Barrel Zawn etc? I cant go to these new fangled dates. I had my heart set on this thing. Lame.
 magpie 11 Jul 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> What the hell happened to the old dates of 11th & 12th August at Barrel Zawn etc? I cant go to these new fangled dates. I had my heart set on this thing. Lame.

I second your opinion Will, we'll be away these dates

On the brightside, we'll be DWS in Mallorca, so it's not all bad.

Richard Horn 16 Jul 2007

BTW does anyone know if the Newton Head area is okay for a non-climber to come along, in terms of no bad scrambles to get to it/enough space such that they wont get in the way? Cheers.
 Jus 16 Jul 2007
In reply to Richard Horn:

yep, plenty of space to sit in the sun at the top of the cliffs!
Fille 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Jus:
what about for a person with a knackered knee? would love to go down just to chill out in the sun, as long as there's no scrambling- stitches will come out the following week!
 Jus 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Fille:

It's a flat walk to the top of cliff, pretty much.
 Conor1 20 Jul 2007
I'm absolutely dying to go to this thing, but have no car. I posted a message under lift sharing but thought I'd stick one on here as well just in case some kind soul sees it and takes pity on a forlorn DWSer. If anyone's going from sheffield and is feeling generous, my number is 07841333614. Regardless, I hope everyone who does go has an absolute blast, and of course, in light of the recent tragedy, that no-one gets hurt. Take care out there
Conor

Mmmm, latest weather report looks pants! :'o(

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&trave...
 Mike_Hayes 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Who's going then, weather looks pants?
Wingman 24 Jul 2007

can anyone tell me what the grade range is like? - I'm sure they'll be stuff for me to have a crack at but what if I bring an inexperienced athletic mate along, are there many s-hs/F4's around?
 krank 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Wingman:
I could be wrong but i think its from f5 to f6c. I read it somewhere but cant remember where. I am bringing 3 of my mates who dont climb just to laugh at them, so it sounds like you to are bringing your own entertainment aswell
 raphael 25 Jul 2007
I may go from Bristol. I was on DWS on south coast last weekend which was brilliant take a wetsuit its much warmer.
 collingwood 25 Jul 2007
With the weather looking so bad i am trying to convince my mates to come along anyway but will the event still run? and whats the other options if it rains all day?
 abarro81 25 Jul 2007
In reply to collingwood:
well bugger all's gonna happen if its raining cos no-one's gonna want to got DWSing i would think.. so i doubt it'll be 'on' in that sense. dunno bout the party. alternatives involve sitting around in tents/pubs/cafes/etc/sacking it and going home i would think! (ie the usual wet weather alternatives on climbing trips)
but the forecast said it was gonna be a bit crap today and it was fine in pembroke all day so i'm optimistic fri looks 'bonza' anyway
In reply to abarro81:

Weather now looks good for the whole weekend. Should be fun.
 MNA123 26 Jul 2007
In reply to mountain.martin: what website you using?

BBC looks crap http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3360

and metoffice has just been updated from rain sat and sun to just rain on the sunday.

I think me and climbing john have decided a trip to the pass is in order instead. Sod a 10 hour round trip in the rain
 raphael 27 Jul 2007
Any other Bristolians contact me if youre going and want to share a car.
In reply to Adam Moroz:

I use

metcheck.com
windguru.cz (aimed at windsurfers)
xcweather.co.uk (aimed at paragliders)

They all give good localised forecasts. I live in Pembrokeshire and check them all at least once a day they are generally more localised and acurate than the BBC or the Met Office. Although there is always a fair bit of guess work if you are looking more than 2 or 3 days ahead.

As they were saying yesterday (and the BBC now seems to be agreeing with them) Sat & Sun daytimes should be dry with rain coming through overnight on Saturday.

Let's hope they are right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...