UKC

NEWS: E8 Ground-Up for Caroline Ciavaldini

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 May 2011
James Pearson and Caroline Ciavaldini in Pembroke., 4 kbVisiting 8c climber Caroline Ciavaldini learns trad - and fast...

First route = E3. Second route = E8 Flash attempt!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62295

mloskot 20 May 2011
Caroline, outstanding effort!
In reply to UKC News: Jebus...
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoying the way the news from one week in Pembroke about two months ago is being leaked out gradually to keep the right people in the headlines.

Still, damned good effort. I expect DS will be letting you have some pictures shortly, since as I recall there were some good, er, aerial shots.

jcm
 Tru 20 May 2011
"Even with the adrenalin of the fall making her shake, even with the fatigue in her muscles making her arms feel heavy, all she knew was that she had failed, that she should not have failed, and there was only one thing she was going to do about it."

Wow.

McBirdy 20 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Surely the question on everyone's lips is "are they at it?"...? If so, that Promise wasn't up to much.

B
 Monk 20 May 2011
In reply to McBendy:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Surely the question on everyone's lips is "are they at it?"...? If so, that Promise wasn't up to much.
>
> B

It's not really a question that you should dwell on for long - they are openly a couple!
 Chris the Tall 20 May 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
Christ you're a cynical git !

From JPs blog "With all the commotion after the Muy Caliente/Pembroke raid, followed by Melloblocco, and finally the wonderful Quello Che Non C’e – I almost completely forgot to write about Caroline’s own amazing trad achievement…"

As for pictures - I think the bottom one on his blog - http://realbigpimp.in/?p=1429%E2%80%9D - needs to be explained. Looks like
Corno di Bo in Italy. Warning - may danage retinas !
 TobyA 20 May 2011
In reply to Monk:
> - they are openly a couple!

You wonder then what she thinks of the name of James' website. It always struck me as a rather ugly name to choose for you site, even in a jokey sense.

Ms. Ciavaldini's effort though does give a rather good answer to all those who have wondered what would happen if some Euro uber-wad came over to try trad. Answer: E8 as their second route. A fine effort!
 wilkie14c 20 May 2011
In reply to McBendy:
from the blog:
" I wonder if the lob-shot will make it in"

One shudders to think.....
Removed User 20 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I voting UKIP next time round, we need to keep all these foreigners from coming over and pissing our routes...
 Lhod 20 May 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Monk)
> [...]
>
> You wonder then what she thinks of the name of James' website. It always struck me as a rather ugly name to choose for you site, even in a jokey sense.
>

I'm pretty sure he didn't choose it, I seem to remember he bought it from someone else and got lumped with the name.

TobyA 20 May 2011
In reply to Lhod: Fair enough then, although it remains a crap name!
 jacobjlloyd 20 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Whatever the website - this couple are firmly at the top of the trd game now, and deliberately keeping a low profile about it. No shouting from the rooftops. Our sport is going the right way again!
 Sam Mayfield 21 May 2011
In reply to jacobjlloyd:

I love her own website, go girl :0)

http://www.carolineciavaldini.com/
 Edd Reed 21 May 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield: I like the website but would somebody please tell Caroline that Pembroke is in Wales, not England, thanks

Can't do it myself, I'm in work so no FB
 Morgan Woods 21 May 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

yeah love her comment:

Ils sont fous ces anglais

Je viens de passer 3/4 d'heure a rire en lisant des commentaires sur le forum de UK Climbing... Lien ici:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=451144

silo 21 May 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield: you have to for give her,that part of wales seems to be colonized English escapees
 jon 21 May 2011
In reply to silo:

Isn't (wasn't?) Pembrokeshire known as Little England?
 mattrm 21 May 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to silo)
>
> Isn't (wasn't?) Pembrokeshire known as Little England?

Yup, that whole part of SW Wales is known as that.

It's a great achievement. Very impressive. I'd really like to know how she finds trad climbing when compared to sport climbing.

royal 21 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Awesome!
 Edd Reed 21 May 2011
In reply to mattrm: I don't think it's the whole of Pembrokeshire, an area bounded by five castles and the south coast or something along those lines, anyway I was born here (Pembs) lived here for the majority of my life and consider myself Welsh.

Sorry to have managed to change the subject of the thread
 Sam Mayfield 21 May 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Thats the bit I loved the most but didnt dare post the link! ;0)

Sam
Etak 21 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: what an amazing achievement - what on earth will she do for her third let alone fourth route.....

the number of folks- men or women - who have ever climber E8 ground up must be countable on one hand (and maybe one with a few fingers missing)?
 AJM 22 May 2011
In reply to Etak:

> the number of folks- men or women - who have ever climber E8 ground up must be countable on one hand (and maybe one with a few fingers missing)?

Probably more than 2 hands worth now I would have thought? - there's all those grit E8/9 things that have been done flash/onsight/groundup (team America, the guys who did Parthian shot ground up, Pearson, Ryan pasquil isn't it who seems pretty handy at hard grit flashes, plus others I've doubtless forgotten) plus the E8s onsighted elsewhere (birkett on that one at dove and at nesscliff), now this one (Pearson, Caroline, didn't Pete robins do it too?)
 RockSteady 23 May 2011
In reply to mattrm:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> Yup, that whole part of SW Wales is known as that.
>
> It's a great achievement. Very impressive. I'd really like to know how she finds trad climbing when compared to sport climbing.

Since she climbs F8c, really easy I'd have thought.
 Michael Gordon 23 May 2011
In reply to RockSteady:

She'll have to get on something harder then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...