UKC

VIDEO: Embroiled - Indian Creek, Utah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 13 Sep 2012
[Embroiled - Indian Creek, Utah]
A short documentary about three very average climbers who make their way to Indian Creek, Utah, to get embroiled in some crack-climbing.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1277
 SGD 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos: I really liked this. Great little film.
 Ben Snook 13 Sep 2012
In reply to SGD:

Likewise, very enjoyable. I liked how you left the music out for the final lead.
 ericinbristol 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Really enjoyed it. More please!
 Fraser 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Very good indeed. Well shot, well edited and very entertaining.
In reply to UKC Videos:

Super little film. Really enjoyed that.

Alan
 Mark Collins 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos: Nice, thanks for posting.
 TobyA 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos: I love the shot from a distance, where the climber climbs into about the bottom tenth of the screen with all that rock above them, then promptly falls off back out of shot. Can definitely sympathise.
 Kemics 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

damn it makes me want to visit utah!
 galpinos 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Brilliant.
 Carless 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

fine little film
 Jonny2vests 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

That was RUBBISH!

Only joking. Good to see some familiar faces. Going there myself next month.
 JH74 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! Very entertaining and British although I am a bit pissed!
 centurion05 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Benny, you make me laugh "jen's boosters haven't done much boosting"

Awesome video Jenny, keep em up

Alex T (RAFMA) 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Great stuff!
 maria85 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:
Awesome movie! And so much better being focused on sensible grades and normal people, not the pros... can't wait to get back to the states
 Robert Durran 14 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Cool. Much like many Brits' learning curve at Indian Creek I imagine!
Interesting to see that they adopted the American technique of refusing the advantages of climbing climb on double ropes, even when it means dragging the dead weight of a second abseil rope behind them.
Removed User 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

That practice is so dumb. I once did a wandering line in the US and found myself battling rope drag while the second towed up a second abb rope. WTF
In reply to Removed User:
> That practice is so dumb. I once did a wandering line in the US and found myself battling rope drag while the second towed up a second abb rope. WTF

You obviously didn't also weigh yourself down with enough big slings round your neck and then enjoy having your runners below your feet the moment they are clipped.

At least the routes at Indian Creek don't exactly wander about, but when I've worked out that my eight blue camalots need to be placed four metres apart in order not to run out before the belay, I really don't want to be pulling through slack to clip the eighth one on the same rope as the seventh one while completely pumped.....
 dave frost 14 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos: brilliant, really enjoyed this, funny guys.
 TobyA 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: I guess it's simply most people don't have half ropes. Exactly the same here. Occasionally they are really useful but generally no one has them so you never see others using them, so you never think "there's a good idea". Vicious circle innit?
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) I guess it's simply most people don't have half ropes.

Precisely. Double ropes just aren't part of American climbing culture. They don't know what they're missing. Maybe one day they will see the light and start using them.
 TobyA 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: there's something nice about the simplicity of a single though as well. One thing with hand crack climbing is not standing on your rope - its very easily done and then its a 'mare trying to clip your next piece. I would imagine with double ropes there's even more there to get stuck behind your foot.
In reply to TobyA:
> One thing with hand crack climbing is not standing on your rope - its very easily done and then its a 'mare trying to clip your next piece. I would imagine with double ropes there's even more there to get stuck behind your foot.

On the contrary, if your last piece is by your feet, you would be more likely to stand on the rope clipped to it than on a second rope last clipped to a piece well below your feet (it could be more readily flicked out of the way before jamming your toe in the crack).

al99 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: I went to indian creek and tried both. It is easier with a single as there is less rope to get stuck in the cracks/ snagged around previous pieces and the straight nature of most of the routes mean there is just no advantage to having a double rope. Having a single rope also makes it easier to know which rope to clip when you are pumped out of your mind!

Loved the video, nice work Jenny!
 morpcat 15 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Much appreciated by someone stuck inside for work and staring through the window at a sunny day!
In reply to UKC Videos:

What a fantastic video, really enjoyed watching that.

Cheers for posting!
 kelsh1 26 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:
Nice one Jen Jen!
 beardy mike 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: To be fair to the yanks, it's pretty much us who use double ropes as doubles. The only other time you see people using doubles is when you see euros on multipitch sport routes and they use them as twins...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...