UKC

NEWS: Emmett and Gadd on Ice - Spray On Continues...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Jan 2011
The awesome route of Spray on - climbed in 2010, 5 kbTim Emmett and Will Gadd are about to attempt to extend their amazing ice route from last year - Spray On.

"There are thousands of daggers suspended from the roof - some the size of a bus. Every now and then one falls off, it feels like being on another planet..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59877

PTatts 18 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:
All very cool, but why does the phrase "extreme athlete" make me slightly uncomfortable?
 Iain McKenzie 18 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: looks fantastic...
In reply to UKC News: He was talking about this place at his lecture in Macclesfield. Those photographs really dont give you a sense of scale of the place like the ones he showed us on the slideshow.
 gcandlin 18 Jan 2011
In reply to PTatts: Well I think it an apt discription, they are atheletes and what they do is extreme when measured against other sports such as cricket/football etc. It probably makes you feel uncomfortable because its a slightly americanised term and that often grates against the english self depricating/understated way.

Anyway bloody amazing line all the best Will and Tim!
 Will Hunt 18 Jan 2011
In reply to PTatts:
I know what you mean. Its laughable for the average UK climber to say they participate in an "extreme sport" but when you look at the kind of stuff that Emmett gets up to it's a different game really. More like using climbing as a base activity to do something outlandish that combines two sports (climbing and BASE) to make something really bloody dangerous. It really is quite extreme.
 PTatts 18 Jan 2011
In reply to Will Hunt:
Very true. I wasn't taking anything away from what he does, it truly is awesome. I just find phrases such as extreme athlete pretty cringe worthy. Just my British hang ups I suppose!
 Scarab 18 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Tatz, when looking at this image, https://ukc2.com/i/164080.jpg Extreme athlete is the only apt thing I can think of.

simon_D 18 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: was wondering how this route is protected? Rock gear, hooks, screws? Blows my mind just looking at it!
 PTatts 18 Jan 2011
In reply to Scarab:
Ha ha, pretty damn extreme.
 Chris F 18 Jan 2011
In reply to simon_D:
> (In reply to UKC News) was wondering how this route is protected? Rock gear, hooks, screws? Blows my mind just looking at it!

"Spray On climbs for one pitch up the ice and is protected by bolts which were placed on lead."

In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to simon_D)
> [...]
>
>
> "Spray On climbs for one pitch up the ice and is protected by bolts which were placed on lead."

I’m pretty sure Mr Emmett said at his lecture that the first pitch was protected by bolts but they were trying to continue it with ice screws.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...