UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Expedition report: Raru Valley in the Himalayas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Dec 2011
The team: Dominic Southgate, Robin Jones, Jonathan Moodie, Joe Prinold, Virgil Scott, Kunal Masania, Jonny Bull., 3 kbOn the 23rd of August The Raru valley 2011 expedition team departed from Heathrow airport bound for a remote valley in the Ladakh region of India.

The team members were Jonathan Moodie (leader) Dominic Southgate, Kunal Masania, Virgil Scott, Joe Prinold, Robin Jones and Jonathan Bull. Four of whom were PhD students, with two research associates and one alumni (all engineering) of Imperial College, London.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4209

Damo 06 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice job, thanks for writing it up. Good to see this kind of article on UKC, especially with lots of useful photos.
 Tony & Sarah 07 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Excellent, really enjoyed this and well done UKC for publishing

Tony & Sarah Whitehouse
 jonnybull 07 Dec 2011
In reply to Tony & Sarah, Damo: thanks very much for the comments.
Jonathan
 chrisi 07 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:
Well done guys for posting this great account of what sounds like a really fun trip. Good to see IC pushing the boundaries again on some interesting, challenging and exploratory routes. Whats next?? Chris I ICEB
 Damo 08 Dec 2011
In reply to jonnybull:

Actually, a little sidebar would have been good (on all Exped Reports, actually) briefly noting red-tape info, useful links, a GoogleEarth link maybe? Idea of costs, X-visas, transport etc - the kind of thing we have a general idea of and can research in theory, but for which there is no substitute for recent first-hand experience.
 jpm102 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Damo:

The side bar is a very good idea, would be really useful.

If you are interested here is the google maps link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=reru&hl=en&ll=33.251034,76.867905&a...
Sounds like a great trip. Nice one guys.
 PebblePusher 08 Dec 2011
In reply to jpm102:

Hey Jonnie,

Good effort, looks like a cracking trip! Will have to go for a play on the grit next time you're around the peak and the weather isn't poor!?

Chris
 Damo 08 Dec 2011
In reply to jpm102:

Ah, interesting, thanks. Better rock in your pics than Google Earth would indicate.
almost sane 08 Dec 2011
In reply to jonnybull:
Good effort.
Great report.
Great pics.

But I want details, details!

I ask because I am thinking about heading to an area a few valleys south of Raru in 2013.

Specifically:
How long did you allow for the whole trip, Delhi to Delhi?
Who did your logistics?
And am I right in thinking Lama Jimsa Kangri is marked as point 6180 in the Editions Olizane map of Zanskar South?

Congratulations again. It sounded a fun trip.
 Damo 08 Dec 2011
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to jonnybull)
>
> I am thinking about heading to an area a few valleys south of Raru in 2013.
>
> the Editions Olizane map of Zanskar South?
>

Me too, but more SW, and maybe 2012, not 2013. Have you noticed that those pretty Olizane maps have quite a few serious errors and omissions? There are several significant peaks with heights up to 1000m lower than their real height, plus some more understandable naming and placement issues.

jpm102 08 Dec 2011
In reply to almost sane:

We had a working day free at either end in Delhi, for the IMF. We had two days acclimatisation in Leh, which was longer than we would have liked. The drive from Leh to Raru took 3 days, but can be done in two. Basically in a 5 week trip, 3 were spent in the valley, but this can be reduced.

Our logistics were done by Rimo Expeditions who were excellent, especially as they are based in Ladakh, they even lent us bikes to use to go bouldering when we came back 2 days early.

Yes, Lama Jimsa Kangri is marked 6180 on the Olizane map, (but in reality is 100m taller).

If you want details or more photos I can email them to you, or send you a copy of the trip report when it is completed.
 jpm102 08 Dec 2011
In reply to PebblePusher:

Cheers Chris! Will hopefully be around for a few weeks before Easter, will be giving you a bell then im sure.

almost sane 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to almost sane)
> [...]
>
> Me too, but more SW, and maybe 2012, not 2013. Have you noticed that those pretty Olizane maps have quite a few serious errors and omissions?

And villages placed in the wrong order along roads, and cliffs not appearing on maps...

almost sane 08 Dec 2011
In reply to jpm102:
If you could sen me a copy of the trip report, that would be most appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...