Loading Notifications...

ARTICLE: Far and Wide - Offwidths Around the World

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 18 Jun 2020
Big balls are a must on Czech sandstone!

Stu Bradbury shares his stories from global offwidth pilgrimages...

"Vertical wide cracks showcase geology's works of art, drawing the eye ever upwards, creating inspiration and fuelling a climber's imagination in equal measure, these brutal cracks are where the spirit meets the bone!"

Read more
 Kevin Woods 18 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article thanks! The picture of the sandstone rack brings back great memories of last summer. I got absolutely humped by an 'easy' chimney in Saxony on a trip in August - body wedge against crumbly sand, no gear for 15 metres and a useless belayer getting smaller and smaller between my legs! Horrific and superb equally. I'd love to go back.

Sean Kelly 19 Jun 2020

Great read Stu but don't you think that haircut is a little too rad! Of course the real horror off-widths are at High Rocks covered in slimy winter greenery! Keep truckin'.

Inspiring (yet slightly daunting) article - and a truly brilliant title!

myrddinmuse 19 Jun 2020

Just what I needed in these trying times! Cheers Stu.

seankenny 19 Jun 2020

What a super article! 

Just out of interest, what is La Pedriza like for regular sized crack climbs?

Stu Bradbury 22 Jun 2020
In reply to seankenny:

It depends what you call regular...Obviously I went looking for Jam cracks & wider, it is predominantly slabs on rounded domes but if you dig deeper & put in the leg work you will uncover delights of all shapes & sizes, you are always gonna get cracks on granite & the multi pitch crags provide a variety...Go check it out, if you want any further info drop me a line.

Stu Bradbury 22 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Haha! Glad you like the hair cut Sean Its growing back a little now. Hope you are well.

Stu Bradbury 22 Jun 2020
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Thanks It doesn't take much to inspire you dude...You are the future! I watch with interest.

Stu Bradbury 22 Jun 2020
In reply to Kevin Woods:

Yeah it doesn't matter what grade you climb, those towers are gonna leave an indelible mark on the mind.

Trickyw 26 Jun 2020

Well, I was meant to be working but this darn thing just ate the homework! Great article and yes, I know the feeling when you can't get anyone to play on this stuff so if you're stuck....

MisterPiggy 26 Jun 2020

Hugely enjoyable! Book marked the page: will be useful when travel easier and fitness improved. Wonderfully inspiring. Thank you!

andi turner 26 Jun 2020

Thanks for that Stu, so good and really extensive too rather than the usual haunts. If I don't get to Utah next Easter, then maybe Vedauwoo in August? Fancy it?

Stu Bradbury 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Trickyw:

Pleased to know you found it interesting enough to drag you away from your work!

Stu Bradbury 27 Jun 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Glad you found it inspiring, thanks for your support

Stu Bradbury 27 Jun 2020
In reply to andi turner:

Cheers Andi, I enjoyed re living it through the writing process almost as much as doing it! (well maybe not quite) I really must visit Voo at least once as those routes look full on (Kris schrivjers keeps singing its praises) thanks for your offer & I would be keen, the problem for me is that August in Cornwall is my main guiding season & if I want to survive the winter I  can't really afford to get away then...If you head out there at some other time (maybe June) then please let me know.

All the best, Stu

skinne 16:51 Tue

I can feel the scrapes and straining, udging upwards, inwards, onwards... Thank you for sharing your struggles. 

As all of us here can relate, I too struggle for partners in this realm, happy to collaborate with other wide zealots... 

E

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.