UKC

NEWS: First 8c for Ed Hamer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Jun 2012
Ed Hamer on Migranya Profunda, 8b+, Siurana, one of many hard routes he ticked in a week long trip., 4 kbEd Hamer has just had a quick sport climbing trip to Spain where he came away with his first 8c route.

"I wanted to crack a new grade category and was successful in doing so with a send of L'espiadimonis 8c/+..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67189

ChrisBrooke 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: Great result! Sweet mullet!
 Ed Booth 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: Useful!
 Furanco C 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News:

It is obviously the 'week of the Eds' this week. Bon effort. Tip top.
 Seb 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: That haircut.
 Morgan Woods 14 Jun 2012
In reply to ChrisBrooke:
> (In reply to UKC News) Great result! Sweet mullet!

Yes...very Catalan!
TLeleu 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: It is ironic that today, when one wishes to make his British "first 8c," it is 2000 km to go climbing in Spain ... Before we had the strength to hope to approach this quotation in England, now we have a ticket "low cost"
 abarro81 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:
> Before we had the strength to hope to approach this quotation in England,

Given Ed's done 8B boulders at the tor and parisella's, I don't think you can diss his lack of strength.

Arms Cliff 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:
> (In reply to UKC News) It is ironic that today, when one wishes to make his British "first 8c," it is 2000 km to go climbing in Spain ... Before we had the strength to hope to approach this quotation in England, now we have a ticket "low cost"

I think Ben and Jerry might disagree with you!

The power of a fine mullet.
TLeleu 14 Jun 2012
In reply to abarro81: … In recent months it is often the subject of virtually unknown young English climbers who cross levels of difficulty in Spain when they have done nothing significant at home : I wonder about this lack of interest in local rock climbing and the gap between level in and out of England … Finally, I can find you 200 climbers able to climb Keen Roof, but unable to make a movement in Hubble...
 abarro81 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:
> I wonder about this lack of interest in local rock climbing and the gap between level in and out of England …

I'll save you the brain power associated with your wondering: British sport climbing is, in general, pretty crap compared to Europe. From my experience, the 8c I've done at the tor was probably harder than 1 of those I've done in Spain and easier than the other two.

> Finally, I can find you 200 climbers able to climb Keen Roof, but unable to make a movement in Hubble...

You are one well connected dude.
 metal arms 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:
> (In reply to UKC News) It is ironic that today, when one wishes to make his British "first 8c," it is 2000 km to go climbing in Spain ... Before we had the strength to hope to approach this quotation in England, now we have a ticket "low cost"

Easy for you to say.

Maybe he enjoys the weather abroad. I know I do when I go on holiday. I mean, it's fun dodging rain showers in the peak, but there's some thing nice about stable(and warm)weather.

Anyway, I couldn't really understand you. Did you have a point?
 metal arms 14 Jun 2012
In reply to metal arms:

Oh yeah. Well done Ed. Looks like a good trip. And a strong mullet to boot.
 mr mills 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News:

A very productive climbing trip Ed, no wonder your tips are shagged ! Congrats on your first 8c, hopefully many more 8c from you
 UKB Shark 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:
> (In reply to abarro81) … In recent months it is often the subject of virtually unknown young English climbers who cross levels of difficulty in Spain when they have done nothing significant at home : I wonder about this lack of interest in local rock climbing and the gap between level in and out of England …

Ed is more than capable - check his european comp results - but has mainly just gone for quick repeats of lower 8's on rock (usually declaring them piss) rather than stepping up to the mark and getting on something suitably challenging like repeating Rainshadow. Prod.
In reply to ChrisBrooke: Does a mullet count as aid?
 Wft 14 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: well done Ed, hope this gives you the confidence to get on 9a
 jamesnoble2 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TLeleu:

Finally, I can find you 200 climbers able to climb Keen Roof, but unable to make a movement in Hubble...

To put it simply, no you cant - what a totally ridiculous statement
 RossKirtley 27 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News: Proper shit haircut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...