UKC

NEWS: First Ascent of Nordic Marathon, 130m 9b/+ by Seb Bouin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Jul 2022

French climber Seb Bouin has made the first ascent of a new 130m route through the Hanshelleren Cave in Flatanger, Norway. The new line links existing routes 'Nordic Plumber' (8c) to the 2nd pitch of 'Thor's Hammer' (9a+)' and then up the final headwall to the summit of the cave.

Seb linked the full line and climbed it in a single 130m pitch, giving it an overall grade of 9b/+ and naming it 'Nordic Marathon'.

Read more

Wil Treasure 26 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC News:

I love the concept of these mega link-ups. What a line this will be if he ever links through Move into the top, as if it isn't already impressive enough.

What sort of tactics get used? Swapping ropes, obviously, but having your belayers on Bosun's Chairs at each change would also reduce the drag a little, the weight of the rope must be a big issue. I guess Revolvers would help too, and skinny ropes.

GDes 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Wil Treasure:

I vaguely remember listening to an interview with Chris sharma years ago where he was envisaging this sort of massive route, and suggesting that either pre stashing or carrying camelbacks with energy drinks would become necessary... 

GrahamD 26 Jul 2022

One tactic would be to get super fit ?

john arran 26 Jul 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

> One tactic would be to get super fit ?

I think that would be more prerequisite than tactic.

TobyA 26 Jul 2022

I see the appeal of getting somewhere obvious, like "the top", in one pitch - but these endurance link ups somehow seem rather artificial. With rope much beyond 60 or 70 mtrs you seem to get into rope drag and rope weight issues. So there is a logic to multipitch routes being multipitch...

Suncream 27 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC News:

If he does successfully start up Move instead of Nordic Plumber, he'd better call it Movie Marathon 

Michael Hood 27 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Is there a Topo somewhere so we can see where all these lines go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...