UKC

NEWS: First Polish Ascents Of Master's Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Oct 2007
In September Jerzy Stefanski and Piotr Wycislik made the first Polish ascents of The Masters Edge at Millstone in the Peak District.

Marek Chmielarski, Krzysztof Ciuba and Ian Carr report (with photos):

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Gorrilla 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Why is this news??
OP Michael Ryan 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Why is this news??

Why do you ask if this is news?

You want a discussion about what constitutes news?

Try later on tonight when I may have half an hour.

Who made the first

french
german
american
italian
botswanan
madagascan

etc etc etc.

News????
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I thought of putting an angle on it but hoped that someone else would.

Tis great that climbers apart from Brits appreciate UK climbing.

I like this story as well

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2007#37922

A band of merry climbers, Klemen Premrl (Slovenia), Stefano Staffetta (Italy), Igor Zerjal (Slovenia) and Erik Svab (Slovenian-Italian), after seeing the Posing Productions film, Set In Stone about Dave Birkett, and being bored to death by me about how good the Lakes is for climbing whilst at the BMC Winter meet, decided to head west to the English Lake District over the weekend of the 2nd June.

Maybe the UK is becoming an international climbing destination.
 Tyler 08 Oct 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut and Gorilla:

Before this gets out of hand can we just agree that whilst it may not be 'news' it is a climbing related story of interest some poeple on here.

a more interesting question might be why do some people feel the need to pose this question every time something appears in the news section. Do none of you poeple read newspapers? They are not just for hard news stories but contain many items of human interest etc out with death, politics etc.

That said I'd question the line that "at least one person has hit the ground falling from the top moves"
 Morgan Woods 08 Oct 2007

definitely of interest....i see plenty of strong polish boys at the wall so curious to see if they can get out and crank on real rock....good effort!
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Thanks Morgan and Tyler.
 Stash 08 Oct 2007
Top efforts by all! Its good to have some competition, be it friendly of course!
Gorrilla 08 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Gorilla)
> [...]
>
> Why do you ask if this is news?
>
> You want a discussion about what constitutes news?
>
> Try later on tonight when I may have half an hour.

No thanks, and why so touchy??

As you yourself have reported previously Mick, this route has at least twice been redpointed, with 1 fall, and is headpointed on a weekly basis.

The maths is simple, a new headpoint ascent of this route is not news, even if a visiting eskimo did it.
Anonymous 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: first they come here and take our jobs, then they do our trade route grit headpoints.
 Tyler 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:

> No thanks, and why so touchy??

Why so anal? How much time did it take you to digest the article as compared to the time is taken you to whinge about it? Do you write a letter to the editor everytime you read an article in a newspaper that doesn't constitute news?
 DannyC 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Was waiting for that....
D
In reply to Gorilla:
>
> Why is this news??

Its more news than Princess 'effinng' Diania

and Madiline 'Effing' McCann.
In reply to Gorilla:

Thanks for the explanation.

Why touchy? Not really. I do get bored of people asking what constitutes news using the Mick criteria. Maybe I should write an explanation.

But meanwhile....Have a look through news archives and you may get the bigger picture. Some you will think, "yes news" some "that not be news".....but you get 10 different people and they will alll disagree as to what news actually is.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2007

Use the pull down on the top right to select different months.

We present a wide range of news topics that the traditional climbing print media could not begin to cover.

This is because we have a very large climbing readership with a wide diversity of what interests them - as replies on this thread testify. Importantly we get fed news from a wide variety of sources.

Also some readers are well upto speed on some topics and not others.

Some people who read UKC will have no idea what Masters Edge is whilst some readers will have actually led the thing.

Mick
 Tom Briggs 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Gorilla)
>
> [...]
>
> Do you write a letter to the editor everytime you read an article in a newspaper that doesn't constitute news?

I must say I have to join the campaign. I love reading these sorts of quirky news items. It's always great to hear about foreign climbers coming to the UK and doing our famous routes. Master's Edge has a long history of climbers coming from overseas to try it... Gullich famously broke his back on it and Swede, Ricard Ekehead moved to Sheffield to live because he was so obsessed about the Peak and climbing this particular line.

sasmojo 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Well done to Jerzy and Poitr.

Gorilla, shut up! you a bit jealous there?
Anonymous 08 Oct 2007
have any hard uk climbers visited Saxony?
how does the sandstone compare with here?
 dek 08 Oct 2007
The xenophobes must be at work?.............

Wot ave they dun on Grit?

Gorrilla 08 Oct 2007
In reply to sasmojo:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Well done to Jerzy and Poitr.
>
> Gorilla, shut up! you a bit jealous there?

Not at all, nor do I begrudge them a great climb, well done. It's still not new news, I repeat:

"As you yourself have reported previously Mick, this route has at least twice been redpointed, with 1 fall, and is headpointed on a weekly basis.

The maths is simple, a new headpoint ascent of this route is not news, even if a visiting eskimo did it."

Anyway I quit my whinging now, obviously most of u enjoy this news!

GrahamD 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Not quite Saxony but Andy Cave and Leo Holding famously had a bash at some of the Czech sandstone towers.

How does it compare ? much bigger and scarier than most things we have here, generally climbed in purer style.
In reply to Gorilla:

Is this news

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=9&year=2007#39881

is this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=9&year=2007#40145

Is this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2007#38084

Is this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2007#37686

Is this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2007#37199

There's a lot more to news than first, second, third ascent.

There's a hell of a lot going on in our climbing community that people are interested in.

Jee whiz some of it is even inspiring - to some.
 Owen W-G 08 Oct 2007

Polska Gola! I'm interested in this news Mick, even if the misery guts who oft frequent this site are not. Poles are a hard bunch - I should know, my missus is one. Also home to former world no 1 and currently world's second strongest man Mariusz Pudzianowski. Not sure what he's done on grit but he's pretty useful with the atlas stones.
 Hugh Cottam 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:

I think you have to try to move away from this whole black and white (News/ Not News) stance. Buddhists tend to have a more fuzzy view of the world. Just because it is one thing does not make it necessary that it is not another. Are you by any chance a taxonomist in your day job? If so I suggest you try using a less mutually exclusive system of categorisation that allows multiple inheritance.

Also, if you feel angry or tense, think of a pleasant memory or fond experience.
IMO this is an interesting piece of news.

The fact that this relatively new demographic of Poles has spread itself so completely across the British Isles in such a short time is amazing; A Polish bloke took my ticket on a ferry in the nether-regions of Cork only yesterday, and you can also find them driving busses on Hebridean Islands.

The go anywhere, do anything approach to life is a good one and, as I duck from a PC clobbering, I find it interesting that other migrant groups haven’t spread out of the big towns and cities anything like as fast.

Cool beans.
 timjones 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Gorilla)
>
> [...]
>
> Why so anal? How much time did it take you to digest the article as compared to the time is taken you to whinge about it? Do you write a letter to the editor everytime you read an article in a newspaper that doesn't constitute news?

Surely the question is as valid as the article itself?

Morgan Woods 08 Oct 2007
In reply to The Flying Giraffe:
> IMO this is an interesting piece of news.
>
> A Polish bloke took my ticket on a ferry in the nether-regions of Cork only yesterday

the thieving bastard!

'kinell.

It's news if some people are interested. And I'm interested. So therefore Mick's right and anyone who says it isn't news can sod off. Got that? Good.

It's a website. It's not flippin' Hansard.

jcm
konrad 08 Oct 2007
Oh, Yes we do!!
 Norrie Muir 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:

I suppose you write letters to the Editors of newspapers because they report about Councils, as they should only report about the Prime Minister at Westminster and not lower orders like David Cameron, with exception of Nick Griffin.

PS To Mick, keep the good work up, I like to read local news stories about the backwaters.
Anonymous 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: why doesn't Dave M come down and tick some hard grit routes before the rock season is out?
 Norrie Muir 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) why doesn't Dave M come down and tick some hard grit routes before the rock season is out?

You could contact him through UKC, see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=22726 and ask him yourself.
Anonymous 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: i'm too shy to ask.
a settled week ahead though- wonder what he's scheming
 Jamie B 08 Oct 2007

Can you categorically assert that these are indeed the first Polish ascents?
 TobyA 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good effort to the Poles. But are we really sure its the first Polish ascent? Poles have a rep for being dark horses, how long before someone else with an equally unpronounceable name fesses up to having onsighted it in the early 90s or something...

What does:
"...placing the tri-cams from the ground."
I remember the shot holes being a long way up. Did they use.... errrr... poles to place them?

Bum bum!

<tumbleweed blows past>
 Jamie B 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:

> As you yourself have reported previously Mick, this route has at least twice been redpointed, with 1 fall, and is headpointed on a weekly basis.

The last statement there is surely an exageration. Or is it?
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Good effort to the Poles. But are we really sure its the first Polish ascent?

No.

I should have put, probably or possibly, or first claimed Polish ascent, but I didn't.

I was guessing that those involved; Jerzy Stefanski, Piotr Wycislik and Krzysztof Ciuba would know.

Fact check? I've sent them an email.

At this moment in time, with my current UKC work load, it is impossible to check and reserach everything. I try my best.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: You've got mail, Mick.
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Yip and yip, go for it Tom.

You'd better do a good job, fair and balanced.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: email ok in the form i sent it to you?
 stp 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:

> Why is this news??

I think you're probably right but news scribes have to keep writing even when there is no news otherwise they'd be out of a job.
In reply to stp:
> (In reply to Gorilla)
>
> [...]
>
> I think you're probably right but news scribes have to keep writing even when there is no news otherwise they'd be out of a job.

I'm afraid that is not an issue here. My job is very broad at UKC. I do news, forum stuff, articles, advertising, development, advertiser education, UKC networking, UKC development -- much is computer, some phone, some visits, some is on the road.....and some at the crag!

I chose this particular item because I thought some (not all) readers would appreciate it. I was correct in that assumption.
 Alun 08 Oct 2007
> I do get bored of people asking what constitutes news using the Mick criteria.

Amen. I hope you keep posting stuff like this Mick, but don't forget you can always ignore the comments from the likes of Gorilla. It's good that such people are allowed to comment, but there's no need for you to justify yourself - unless you want to of course!
 idiotproof 08 Oct 2007

If the climbing media outlets are ONLY allowed to record first ascents and not a wider view of OUR community. Then I for one would stop reading.

I want to read about rock gods putting up on sight, death on a stick E12's, I want to hear about foreign climbers enjoying our wealth of climbing opportunities and I also want to hear a good piece about 2 friends climbing 8 vs's in a day with a flask of tea and a piece of cake.

Similiarly if all the pieces were the latter I wouldnt read either. News is whatever people find interesting. Get everyone at work to look through the NOTW or guardian and circle what they think is the most interesting/relevant article. £5 says in an office of 20 people you will get 4-5 different answers
 whispering nic 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla: I found this article interesting and pleasing, more so than the articles surrounding it in fact.
Graham 09 Oct 2007

>First Polish Ascents Of Master's Edge

Conclusive proof that head-pointing (and its associated top-roping) leads to classic routes becoming polished.

I thang-ewe.
 Al Evans 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Gorilla:
>
> Why is this news??

Big and Little Sid (Siddiqui) used to claim first Pakistani ascents of Peak and Lancs routes (tongue in cheek of course).
 Al Evans 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Graham:
>
> >First Polish Ascents Of Master's Edge
>
> Conclusive proof that head-pointing (and its associated top-roping) leads to classic routes becoming polished.
>
> I thang-ewe.
Stole my joke

Witkacy 09 Oct 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

'of various honky routes such as Right Wall', as I seem to remember either BS or LS putting it in one of the rags.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...