UKC

NEWS: First Repeat of Another Lonely Day E8 6c by Craig Matheson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Sep 2019
Cumbrian Craig Matheson has made the first repeat of Another Lonely Day E8 6c on Scafell's East Buttress. Climbed in 2002 by Dave Birkett, Another Lonely Day has built a reputation for being a tough lead, with a guidebook description noting 'serious potential for harm'. Despite the severity of the climbing, the aesthetics and quality of the line led Dave Birkett to describe it as 'the best traditional route in Britain'.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one; beautiful line.

jcm

In reply to UKC News:

Wow - brilliant, top effort Craig - sounds scary as hell. 

Franco Cookson 25 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely class. What a legend.

Interesting comment about Welcome to the Cruel World potentially being E10. Where's that come from?

wbo2 25 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News: now that's a line    good stuff

craig matheson 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Franco Cookson:

It's from the recent podcast with Dave Birkett.

http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/2019/7/31/jcpc-071-da...

193 25 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

At last news being reported of a significant repeat , rather than the nth ascent of more popular routes ( both geared and bolted ones ) Lets hope it inspires people to make the effort to  get onto the lakeland routes , many of the harder ones still waiting  repeat or early repeat ascents .

Good effort Craig ( and Rob ) 

Michael Gordon 25 Sep 2019
In reply to craig matheson:

I hadn't seen that, thanks. Great to hear someone like Birkett talking about the emotions you feel while climbing (or indeed growing up) rather than just the difficulty.

Red Rover 27 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

In the photos it looks a bit like the first part of Indian Face.

dunky 29 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Hey my dad and I saw you and your dad on the way up to have a look at it a few weeks back, maybe just before you did it. Congratulations!

craig matheson 29 Sep 2019
In reply to dunky:

Did you get the Classic Rock tick? I last saw you disappearing into the mist heading towards Jones's Route. I would guess that conditions were a bit challenging to say the least! 

Jon Tweedlie 29 Sep 2019

class

dunky 02 Oct 2019

Haha yes we got it, one of them anyway, felt like a bit of an adventure in that fog. Ended up doing more pitches than strictly necessary but it was fun. Dad managed to get the other route last weekend in glorious sunshine. Nice to meet you guys.

Franco Cookson 02 Oct 2019

Ah brilliant. Thanks - Interesting listen that. How sad he didn't feel like he could give it the grade he thought it was at the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...