UKC

NEWSFLASH: First Winter Ascent of K2 made by All-Nepali Team

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Jan 2021

A ten-strong all-Nepali team has achieved the coveted first winter ascent of K2 (8611m), the last of the fourteen eight-thousand-metre peaks to be summited in the winter season. The ascent was a joint effort from three separate teams of Nepali climbers who united 'to make Nepal and its climbing community proud', marking significant progress from the traditional Sherpa role as porters to becoming self-sufficient climbers capable of organising and leading their own expeditions. The summit group consisted of Nirmal 'Nimsdai' Purja and his team of Gelje Sherpa, Mingma David Sherpa, Mingma Tenzi Sherpa, Pem Chhiri Sherpa and Dawa Temba Sherpa; Mingma Gyalje Sherpa and his team including Dawa Tenzin Sherpa and Kili Pemba Sherpa, and Sona Sherpa who was part of the Seven Summits Treks team.

Read more

Tyler 16 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing effort, I think a number of them weren't using supplemental oxygen which is good to see. They seem to have moved very quickly for a team setting fixed rope.

brunoschull 16 Jan 2021

Great news.  It seems fitting that this went to an all-Nepali team.  I hope they all make it back down safely.

rogersavery 16 Jan 2021
In reply to brunoschull:

“It seems fitting that this went to an all-Nepali team”

why?

Robert Durran 16 Jan 2021
In reply to rogersavery:

> “It seems fitting that this went to an all-Nepali team”

Because they have played such a huge part over the decades massively supporting western climbers in many high altitude achievements while rarely taking the limelight themselves.

In reply to Tyler:

> They seem to have moved very quickly for a team setting fixed rope.

I imagine they have had a lot of practice!

Sean Kelly 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Apparently it's all in the genes!

Post edited at 13:42
 Frank R. 16 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news from K2 as well. Sergi Mingote now reported dead in a fall. His GPS tracker showed one very long straight line down, I hoped it was just a fluke. Alas, not.

Mr. Lee 16 Jan 2021
In reply to brunoschull:

Good that's they've done it on a date that makes astronomical verses metrological winter debate irrelevant as well.

Blake 16 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Have heard no mention of supplementary oxygen... presuming they used it. Does anyone know?

whispering nic 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Blake:

Does it matter at this stage any more than whether they used Diamox or fixed ropes or choppered into base camp, for example?

Post edited at 18:28
 TheGeneralist 16 Jan 2021
In reply to whispering nic:

> Does it matter at this stage any more than whether they used Diamox or fixed ropes or choppered into base camp, for example?

I would say so, very much.

and near top of front page of bbc news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55684149

brunoschull 16 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

First of all, this accomplishment appears to be overshadowed by unfortunate and unrelated death of experienced Spanish climber Sergi Mingote as he descended on K2.

Apart from that, we'll have to wait for details on exactly how this climb was conducted. 

My understanding, from Alan Arnette's blog, is that they had at least some members working hard with oxygen, and perhaps others without oxygen...but none of that is confirmed. 

Many other "firsts" still await...the first without oxygen (if oxygen was used on this ascent), the first solo...and so on.  These are meaningful distinctions, for people who operate in this world.   

But that does note take away from the amazing accomplishment and spirit of this combined team. 

To me, it truly seems like a first, with both mountaineering, cultural, and historical significance.

colinakmc 16 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

A Facebook link to a news site (Kathmandu Herald?) said they carried supplemental oxygen but no reports as to who used it and who didn’t. At least one picture close to the summit (captioned “done”)showed a climber not using o2.

in any case, how about them waiting a few metres below the summit, so that all 10 could summit together? Sheer class.

Post edited at 20:00
 crayefish 16 Jan 2021
In reply to brunoschull:

> To me, it truly seems like a first

For me it's more of a last   The last great climbing challenge, in my opinion, truly closing a major chapter in history.  Everything else is more of a technical first.

crayefish 16 Jan 2021
In reply to colinakmc:

> in any case, how about them waiting a few metres below the summit, so that all 10 could summit together? Sheer class.

This really made it for me... exactly the sort of true comradery and gentlemanliness that has been lacking in recent years.  In a world of Colin Bloody Bravado Bradys, these chaps have really showed how it should be done.

No better way to finish the 8000er chapter than a multi-team summit of Nepalese Sherpas who waited for each other.  I popped the bubbly tonight in their honour.

L.A. 16 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish: Awesome achievement. Not just that they summited as a team but that they all then descended back to c3 and then two members are going all the way down to BC tonight. 

Henry Iddon 17 Jan 2021

Would also be nice if some credit went to the Hunza people locally as well - awesome porters -  a shame there wasn't a Pakistani on the team. 

They way Nepal is getting all the props you'd think K2 was in Nepal !!!!

Denning76 18 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Nims has stated on the gram that he did it without oxygen.

The Lemming 18 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Just seen this on the BBC news.

10 meters from the summit singing the National Anthem before reaching the top. Inspiring.

Truly herculean achievement for a nation with "The Best" unsung mountaineers in the world.

Bonzkars 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Denning76:

Outrageous!! What a feat. 

Mr. Lee 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Would also be nice if some credit went to the Hunza people locally as well - awesome porters -  a shame there wasn't a Pakistani on the team. 

I suspect there wouldn't be many Hunza porters, since the people of the general area are Balti 😉

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...