UKC

VIDEO: Free As Can Be - Free Climbing El Cap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Aug 2020

Free As Can Be

Samuel Crossley has made his film Free As Can Be available online until Friday. It follows a young climber, Jordan Cannon, who's infatuated with climbing history. He meets one of his heroes, Mark Hudon, a Yosemite big wall free-climbing pioneer and the pair form an unlikely partnership. While Cannon wants to complete an all-free ascent of Freerider on El Capitan in a day, Hudon hopes to free the route in as many days as it takes, becoming the oldest guy to free climb El Cap.

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

Thanks so much Samuel. What a superb film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As someone who is rapidly approaching the age of Mark, I found that super-inspiring.

In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant - I remember the articles in Mountain magazine about Mark Hudon and Max Jones it inspired everyone to wear socks with hoops round the top. I thought he had packed in but discovered that he's been climbing ever since. Such a legend and a really good film !!

full stottie 25 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

What a brilliant and uplifting film. I was 59 years old before I fulfilled my dream of climbing in Yosemite, at a far more modest level than Mark Hudon and Jordan Cannon, but it was an incredible and lasting experience. I climbed with my son who was 27 at the time, and who could have been ticking much harder grades than we did during our trip. The film reminded me that its the qualities of the partner you climb with that make the experience so everlasting. Fantastic.

J Brown 25 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

What a wonderful film!  Absolutely brilliant!

nigel baker 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

A Superb touching piece of filming. What climbing is all about!

Climbing with yer mates!

MarkH55 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant!!

SteveSBlake 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

That was great!

petemeads 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, and now we know why Honnold chose to solo the Boulder Problem rather than the Teflon Corner...

luke glaister 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Class. Emotional.  Inspiring.  Great film. 

Enty 26 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I have a love affair with El Cap. I met Mark and Max in 2011 when I was up there.

This is the best climbing movie I've ever watched.

Bravo!

E

Blake 27 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

As if by magic I bumped into Mark at the base of the Salathe... the friendliest, and most encouraging guy you could meet regardless of who he's talking to. The most authentic lifer you'll ever meet. 

neilh 27 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

For those of us of a certain age who can remeber Jones/Hudon articles in Mountain in their white pants this film as an absolute delight.They were inspirational then.

Best video I have seen for a long time. Loved the bit where they relived the red swami belt, EB's and rigid friends.

And it brings into context Jerry Moffats trip when he onsighted Phoenix with similar gear a few years later.

cheese@4p 27 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Superb film! Mark Hudon is a true hero. Their partnership shows what climbing is, or should be, all about. Wonderful.

TobyA 27 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great film. Very inspiring.

Anyone else rather surprised to see perma-draws on El Cap? I know there is plenty of fixed gear and bolts on the walls, but somehow the perma-draws really surprised me. I guess loads of people work the slippery corner pitch?

ClimberEd 27 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Fabulous, thank you.

jon 27 Aug 2020
In reply to neilh:

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Hudon made a big deal out of doing the Phoenix on hexes. 

For anyone yet to watch the film - today is the last day you can view it for free.

robmatheson 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Back in 1975 I remember doing Butterballs and Butterfingers with Mark Hudon and Tobin Sorenson -- Awesome !!

petemeads 29 Aug 2020
In reply to robmatheson:

But do you remember having a go at Outer Limits with me and Mick Brady??

In reply to UKC News:

For anyone who missed this film first time around, Arc'teryx have now uploaded the whole film to YouTube.

Nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...