UKC

NEWS: Free Solo wins Best Documentary BAFTA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Feb 2019

Free Solo, the documentary of Alex Honnold's historic solo of Freerider on El Capitan in Yosemite has won Best Documentary at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards, or BAFTAs. Directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin and produced by National Geographic, the 100-minute film has so far accrued a total worldwide gross of $18.4 million​​​​​​, having screened in numerous cinemas in North America and Europe.

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

Great news. Tremendously well deserved.

Raskye 10 Feb 2019
In reply to UcKC News:

Looks to me from the clip on telly that they didn't let Alex go on the stage... Prats!

In reply to Raskye:

I didn't watch the ceremony. So Honnold was there was he? Did Vasarhelyi and Chin accept the award?

Raskye 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yep. They had to acknowledge Alex who was there and waved but wasn't even spotlighted. But then I suppose it was their film that won not his climb....

In reply to Raskye:

The organisers should have had the wit and courtesy to arrange it so that V & C could invite Alex up on to the stage.

Incidentally, I heard of some film school people today who 'won' some competition to be on the red carpet today and meet some of the stars. They had to wait seven HOURS in freezing conditions, and continually got pushed back by members of Joe Public being given free passes and being allowed through to the front. In the end, they were so far back they saw nobody. Apparently the Bafta staff didn't dare look them in the face at the end.

Post edited at 00:22
 GeoffG 11 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Much deserved. Fantastic film. Really quite emotional and lots to relate to

Helimark 11 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Congrats to free solo on their award -Well deserved ! I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Alex on my flight to London in December (on his way to the premier of free solo in UK) 

He is exactly as you see him- freindly  -very laid back -down to earth guy ..

For these awards i don't think he wants to be the center of attention-this is Elizabeth and Jimmy's moment and i think he respects that .. great film -great people!🤙

The New NickB 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Raskye:

> Looks to me from the clip on telly that they didn't let Alex go on the stage... Prats!

I'm sure nobody stopped him going on stage, looked like a choice he made.

slab_happy 12 Feb 2019
In reply to Raskye:

> Looks to me from the clip on telly that they didn't let Alex go on the stage... Prats!

It's normal and standard for the directors/producers to accept an award when a film wins, without the actors or writers or whoever else involved with the production going up on stage.

Just like the directors don't get to go up on stage when someone wins Best Actor or whatever.

It's not a question of "let", that's just how award ceremonies generally work. He isn't being snubbed.

slab_happy 12 Feb 2019
In reply to Raskye:

Also it's not like there's a SHORTAGE of media attention on Alex right now, or lack of acknowledgement that he's extraordinary!

I liked this photo by Chin of Alex doing his phone interviews the day after:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtwL7I-HwsG/

DerwentDiluted 12 Feb 2019
In reply to Helimark:

> He is ....  -down to earth guy ..

Thats.... not... the best choice of words to describe a soloist....?

Helimark 13 Feb 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Nice one!😆

I like to think he makes it 'down to earth ' safely after each climb🤙

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...