UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Gorges Du Verdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 11 Sep 2009
[Making it look difficult!, 3 kb]If "crazy verticality and lonely freehanging abseils in cathedral silence" sound like your kind of thing, then you better read on!

The Verdon Gorge is the birthplace of modern sport climbing and Alan Carne knows the area inside out...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2076
 Alex Mason 11 Sep 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: This place looks brilliant. That video is super too, love the barefoot solo style!
 UKB Shark 12 Sep 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

That looks like a great write up to print off when I go - I keep promising myself I will go again. Last went 20 years ago. Arrghhh.

Cheers.
 Mick Ward 13 Sep 2009

Absolutely superb article.

Mick
 Ben Ranson 13 Sep 2009

Alan, that is simply a great article, you've got me so psyched for going now!
Mike_Simon 13 Sep 2009
> If "crazy verticality and lonely freehanging abseils in cathedral silence" sound like your kind of thing, then you better read on!
>
> The Verdon Gorge is the birthplace of modern sport climbing and Alan Carne knows the area inside out...
>
> Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2076

Superb article. The photos are stunning, and you get sun!
Went climbing with Alan this summer - the best climbing holiday we have had. Safe, fun and gets you out experiencing his beloved "big air"!
In reply to Mike_Simon:

This really is a superb article! Thanks Alan!

I'm so psyched to go. Verdon multi-pitch is a gaping hole in my CV! Shameful...

Kevin Avery
Gear and Destinations Editor
UKClimbing.com
Carney 20 Sep 2009

Kevin, thanks also to your excellent editing and Chris's photo-topos!
Hope to see you down here sometime - give me a call when I get back from Yos!

Carney
sf_usa 20 Sep 2009

I just returned home to the U.S. from a trip my wife and I took traveling and climbing in France. As we considered our options prior to our departure, the Verdon Gorge was quickly placed at the top of my list. Like most dedicated enthusiasts of the vertical world, I had seen pictures of the wild exposure and technical face climbing under the clear blue skies of southern France, but I had never had the opportunity to see the Gorges du Verdon for myself, let alone sample its world famous and world class climbing on bullet-hard limestone. I just had to go! However, taking into account the scale of the place and its reputation for commitment and challenging route finding coupled with the fact that I was traveling with my wife in her third trimester of pregnancy, I had my reservations. Thus, we toyed with the idea of foregoing the Verdon for other areas in the region that offered more typical single pitch, approach-from-the-bottom style sport climbing.

As I surfed the web looking for a guide who could perhaps help make my dream to climb in the Verdon Gorge a reality, I just happened to find Alan Carne’s website: www.alanduverdon.com. Speaking absolutely no French, I was pleasantly surprised to find someone who offered guide services in the Verdon that would obviously speak my mother tongue, English. While I have enjoyed climbing with individuals despite language barriers, I did not think dangling from a hanging belay above 400 meters of air would be the place to be struggling to communicate. Furthermore, Alan’s resume blew me away. I had no doubt that I was looking at a man of immense experience and skill in the vertical realm, and I quickly sent him an email inquiring about his guiding services. Alan was quick to respond and immediately gave me the impression that he was not only knowledgeable and capable but was extremely sincere and friendly. We discussed my circumstances, and I decided that he was just the person I needed to help me achieve my goal of climbing in the Verdon. Not only familiar with the Gorge itself, he made well thought out recommendations for accommodations in the area that proved to not only meet my needs but more importantly make for a happy wife!

Alan was punctual and prepared when he showed up at the inn to pick me up, and he projected both a confidence and a humility that immediately put me at ease. I knew I was in good hands. For two days Alan Carne acted as my private guide, coach, and mentor. He entertained me with stories of past climbs, which include many impressive sends, and relationships with well known icons of the climbing world. He picked climbs, both long and short, that challenged me on the sharp end as well as his second. My only disappointment came when the time for me to depart arrived. I will never forget my first experience in the Verdon. The climbing was every bit as exciting and rewarding as I had hoped, and the beauty of the Gorge and the surrounding area far surpassed my expectations.

Thank you Alan and see you next time, as I will be back for more…
In reply to sf_usa: Hi SF,

I tried to email you through the site, but I can't!

Is it ok if I use your feedback for the website? Also, do you have any photos that we could use?

Cheers,

Al.
 andybenham 02 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Are the topos from Chris Craggs part of a guide or have they been made specifically for this article?

I am trying to plan a trip for next year so any news of an English guide would be really useful
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Oct 2009
In reply to andybenham:

They are from the guide - though I haven't set about the Verdon section with conviction yet so there will be plenty of changes. Especially more text/maps to aid finding your way round the area.

Chris
Any idea when the quide will be out Chris? We're planning a trip over that area in March
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Oct 2009
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

We are aiming for Easter, but as that is more than six months it is tricky to judge at this stage and it might slip - I'll do my best though

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...