UKC

NEWS: Grand Day Out Winners - What more could a girl want?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Jun 2009
[Dilated Moments of Struggle by Colin Smith, 4 kb]Frank Bennett and Paul Cornthwaite of Lyon Equipment announce the winners of the A Grand Day Out writing competition. With prizes from La Sportiva, Petzl and Beal.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47829

There are THREE more competitions coming up in June, one later today!
In reply to UKC News: Well done Lozenge!
 McKenna 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations Sonja!
 SonyaD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Oh wow! That's really made my day, I've never won anything in my life before
Thankyou Frank Bennet and Paul Cornthwaite and thankyou UKC peeps!
Ta for all the nice comments re my story, and mostly thankyou Andy for being the best b/f and climbing partner ever <aw shucks,lol!>
In reply to SonyaD: Don't forget to ask for katanas in size 8 for me will you.
 SonyaD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Does anyone use these rockshoes? Are they a small fit or large type fit does anyone know?
Grumble 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
is "wind on my brown" meant to read "wind on my brow" ?
Sivoh 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Grumble:

I claim that typo as my own - it was meant to be "brow"!

But anyway, awesome, I'm well chuffed! New shoes and harness will definitely come in very very useful!

My thanks to the judges!
 Michael Ryan 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Sivoh:

Typo has magically disappeared.
Removed User 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Grumble: 'Wind on my brown' is just as much of a part of winter climbing as 'wind on my brow'.
In reply to SonyaD: My friend used them for long routes. He went with same shoe size as normal - he was odd though.
 SonyaD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Cheers G!

Well done to Colin and Sivoh also.

Sivoh, I quite like it being wind on my brown, kinda makes sense, lol!
 Jack Geldard 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Congrats to the winners!

I liked so many of these - it was a great comp.

Especially liked the drawing in Colin's.

Nice one!

Jack
 James Moyle 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: well done to the winners - great poem and short stories.

I especially like the poem, although the imagery is great in all three.

In the stanza

Not
Far now from the end, the
Cup of tea and sigh
Of quiet satisfaction and group evaluation.
My sack is heavy on my back,
And shirt soaked through with sweat.
I shall parade my bruises,
Multi-coloured souvenirs
Later back at home.

the word souvenirs, to my mind is aching to be "medals", with the military image of "parade" in the previous line. In fact the whole stanza is reminiscent of war poetry. But the word "souvenir" rips it out of that world and quite rightly puts it back as a peacetime pastime.

Really enjoyed reading all three, so thanks again.
Yrmenlaf 09 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Must've been diificult to judge: there is so much good writing there. But a worthy winner.

Well done!

Y.
 Simon 09 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:

Congrats Son - a well worthy winner - I was chuffed just to make the cut -enjoy your nice shiny gear!

Si
 SonyaD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Simon: Cheers guys

For what it's worth I really enjoyed yours Si, down to earth climbing with yer mates, egging each other on, what it's all about!
 Michael Ryan 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Simon:

I'll buy you a pint tomorrow night at the Peaks BMC meeting.

Mick
 Simon 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> I'll buy you a pint tomorrow night at the Peaks BMC meeting.
>
> Mick

<Peaks>

*twitch*

Ok I accept & forgive you!

;0)

Si
 Misha 10 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
It was fascinating to read the various entries as they were written by 'normal' climbers and described everyday experiences and emotions which I could relate to. This made the stories somehow more real than the more standard accounts of extreme achievements by the pros. That's not to say that it isn't interesting to find out what the pros have been up to, but there's a lot of potential for more contributions from the collective experience of UKC users. Look forward to the next competition - perhaps I would be able to write something for that one as well and perhaps someone will enjoy reading it.
 Michael Ryan 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:

Next competition starts today - a two parter, and anyone surely will have the experience and the skills to enter part one.

> That's not to say that it isn't interesting to find out what the pros have been up to

You have the most comprehensive climbing and mountaineering news page in the UK that documents much of that..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

and articles..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/

Mick
 munki1971 10 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and congratulations SonyaD - I thought your entry was great and loved the photo. I'm the same as you - I rarely win anything so it made my day when I found out I was a runner up!

Many thanks also to UKClimbing and Lyon Equipment
Sivoh 10 Jun 2009
In reply to James Moyle:

Ah, thankyou James. I've never been quoted before!! A "peacetime pastime" - now that's a nice title, actually...

Thanks everyone for the comments, and congratulations to SonyaD and Colin, the image for "Dilated Moments of Struggle" is particularly striking. And SonyaD, you do indeed have everything a girl could want, I need to find my own gnarly man to go with the chocolate and the mountains I think!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...