UKC

NEWS: Grands Montets Cable Car Damaged by Fire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Sep 2018
A fire has destroyed the popular Lognan cable car at the Grands Montets station in the Argentière valley. The fire has gutted the mid-station and caused five of the eight cables to melt, resulting in one cabin falling onto the glacier below. Fortunately, nobody was harmed in the incident since the lift was closed due to routine maintenance. 

Read more
 simes303 13 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Mountains shouldn't have cable cars up them in the first place.

I expect many "Dislikes" for that, but it's something I've always believed.

gooberman-hill 13 Sep 2018
In reply to simes303:

Man who climbs sport routes (with situ bolts) objects to ski lifts...

simes303 13 Sep 2018
In reply to gooberman-hill:

> Man who climbs sport routes (with situ bolts) objects to ski lifts...

Probably fewer than 30 sport routes in 25 years of climbing.

I've also reluctantly used cable cars around Chamonix, but only three times during a total of 35 weeks climbing in the valley. Virtually everything I've done there has included a walk up and a walk down with all my gear.

Post edited at 13:42
In reply to simes303:

> Mountains shouldn't have cable cars up them in the first place.

Moan the mountains!

In all seriousness, pretty sad news for the valley, I expect this will cost a few people their winter jobs. 

With all the other technical problems the valley has had this season, it would be interesting to know just how much money has been lost as a result. 

TomGB 13 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lifties in Cham are very unhappy at the moment. There will be significantly fewer jobs this winter (strong rumours the Charamillon cable car isn't going to run, problems with Montenvers and a December re-opening for the Midi is wishful thinking) and their bonuses are paid according to the profit made by Compagnie du Mont Blanc. With all the problems with the Midi, Charamillon, Brevent, Grand Montets etc the profit has been hit massively. 

Pretty rubbish times in Chamonix though hopefully a lot of the above is just doom mongering (fingers crossed!). I doubt this will result in any reduction in my lift pass price...

In reply to simes303:

> Mountains shouldn't have cable cars up them in the first place.

> I expect many "Dislikes" for that, but it's something I've always believed.

Are you kidding? Try carrying bouldering mats up the the mid-station on the Midi for an afternoon session on the blocs!

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Try carrying bouldering mats up the the mid-station on the Midi for an afternoon session on the blocs!

Just don't fall off... 

Post edited at 14:22
 ianstevens 13 Sep 2018
In reply to simes303:

Congrats, you've wasted loads of your own time.

simes303 13 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Congrats, you've wasted loads of your own time.

I disagree. I got to see a lot of the valley and I got exceedingly fit.

Carless 13 Sep 2018
In reply to simes303:

I'm really not convinced the possible resulting hardship (bankruptcies?) for businesses in Chamonix, Argentiere, Le Tour, etc are worth celebrating

simes303 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Carless:

> I'm really not convinced the possible resulting hardship (bankruptcies?) for businesses in Chamonix, Argentiere, Le Tour, etc are worth celebrating

What did you think I was celebrating?

RX-78 13 Sep 2018
In reply to simes303:

I'm sure the mountains don't mind. I guess living in a very mountainous country you tend to treat them a bit more casually. 

KevinJ 15 Sep 2018
In reply to TomGB:

I know someone who is hoping for house prices to come down due to the “doom mongering”!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...