UKC

NEWS: Grimer Repeats Overshadow, E11, Dunne/Birkett E10's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Jul 2007
Niall Grimes writes:

"We asked in Edinburgh for that E11 but no one knew then Steve remembered it was Glasgow lol but we got there. We did a load of new boulder problems at Dumbarton and I called it Raiders are here Lock Up You Scotch Women. I thought it was hard maybe Font V16 might get Sharma or ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Not funny, in fact really infantile, you really are scraping the barrel - for laughs.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2007

Slow news day Mick? "Newsflash - Man writes mildly amusing blog entry"

Have I missed something?
jk
Anonymous 20 Jul 2007

oh come on! Itis a pretty funny article but what are you doing putting it in the news section mick
Anonymous 20 Jul 2007
damm, a minute behind the times, as always......
 McBirdy 20 Jul 2007

I go to the UK climbing page for serious news.

Jokey threads have their place, but the news page on UKC isn't it - it's not April 1st...
Anonymous 20 Jul 2007

Blimey Mick! What were you thinking of, trying to amuse the punters instead of finding serious news items. Shame on you!

Bloody hell, lighten up everyone. Made me laugh out loud Mick, but then I guess I'm not taking this climbing lark seriously enough.........

jh
 seagull 20 Jul 2007

WTF has Grimer been drinking?
Simon Panton 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think it's great - I hope Grimer does more of this sort of stuff. All you naysayers need to lighten up a bit.
OP Michael Ryan 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon Panton:

Bit of news here for some.

If you haven't realised yet, Life is News; in this case Climbing Life is News.

Look at the news items we have up over the last year: hundreds of them....most very serious, the odd one not. This one isn't.

Still, this wouldn't be life if someone didn't complain about the news here, but the majority don't and we are getting more the compliments and nearly 4,000 views of the news page each day.

Goodness, even Dave Turnbull (he's the boss of British Climbing Inc.) said to me that he is a regualr reader.

Please keep your comments coming: I enjoy them all.

Onward as ever.

Mick
 philo 20 Jul 2007
it was annoying, with all the lols and mate.
 tony 20 Jul 2007

Just a thought - why not have a blog aggregator as well as a news page. That way, you could keep the news pages for news (radical but hey, lets do a Grimer and get a bit wild), and let folks dip in and out of assorted blogs as they wish.
WEBBO 20 Jul 2007
the bit on the pop up tent had me laughing out loud.it has also made me think twice about borrowing the daughters one for my next trip..
In reply to Ben Darvill:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>

And you will find lots of it.

> Jokey threads have their place, but the news page on UKC isn't it - it's not April 1st...

Humour is a difficult one most would admit. But there is a very serious side to this piece of Grimer's. Try and read between the lines.

Indeed, this could be considered deeply subversive. For starters: our obsessions with grades and climbing celebrity, our reliance on modern communications like blogs, websites, camera-phones and the use of text-speak. He makes reference to how modern climbers don't like long walk-ins, how many name-drop, the commercial nature of modern climbing and sponsorship, modern climbing and street slang..

It is replete with cultural and climbing references.

Jeez, someone could write a thesis on this piece of writing, funded by the BMC of course.

Mick
 jazzyjackson 20 Jul 2007

This article has bombed. Not sharp or funny, just lame. Sorry. Theres some contructive crit for you.
Ackbar 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Maybe Grimer did actually climb all those climbs? I believe him 100%.
In reply to jazzyjackson:
>
> This article has bombed.

I'll bite. Jazzyjackson represents the collective readership of UKClimbing.com?

Re-phrase: It bombed for you.

> There's some constructive criticism for you.

To be constructive you have to say why?

Norrie Muir 20 Jul 2007

I don’t know what all the moaners are on about, the UKC News is like Fox News without the quality. Keep the good work up.
 CJD 20 Jul 2007

hello

I like what other bits and bobs I've read of Niall's work, but I'm not sure about this one. Looking at how other articles have worked on here, very few of them have required such instant qualification from you, which definitely says something to me.

as i say, it's okay, but... it just doesn't seem to be as funny as it could have been. I'd hate to think that you were putting it up just because it was from Grimer.

oo but I liked the suggestion someone made further up the thread about a blog feed...?

hope some/any of that makes sense.
 jazzyjackson 20 Jul 2007
> (In reply to jazzyjackson)
> [...]
>
> I'll bite. Jazzyjackson represents the collective readership of UKClimbing.com?
>
> Re-phrase: It bombed for you.
>
> [...]
>
> To be constructive you have to say why?

I said its not sharp or funny, thats feedback isnt it?

There were other posts that concurred its lameness.

By democratic process its clear to see that I have a point.
Its your right to defend this news item but deep down you know its the pot noodle of UKC news items.

CJD 20 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:

oh, and one other thought - it works way better (is much more amusing!) in the context of Niall's blog than as a random excerpt on here. Just my opinion so please don't shout at me.
 CJD 20 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:

and the post about the tent is, as someone else has already said, forkin' hilarious!
In reply to jazzyjackson:
> [...]
>

> By democratic process its clear to see that I have a point.

By the democratic nature of forums you can have your say (amd amusement whilst bored at work), but even the 22 replies and 723 views, plus those unique to the news page, in the last two hours, will never agree: some will like, some will dislike, some will be indifferent.
 Norrie Muir 20 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:

Will you take up Mick's offer of writing a thesis on Grimer's blog. I suggest at least 20,000 words, that would only take you half an hour.
 hwackerhage 20 Jul 2007

Not really newsworthy. It's the fifth ascent of Rhapsody...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=49726
 bluebrad 20 Jul 2007
In reply to tony:
>
> Just a thought - why not have a blog aggregator as well as a news page. That way, you could keep the news pages for news and let folks dip in and out of assorted blogs as they wish.

That is an excellent suggestion as the article in question doesn't really fit under the "News" banner no matter how much Mick tries to shoe horn it in really.

As for the blog entry in question - it's OK but certainly nothing special as far as Grimer's stuff goes and certainly not as good as the that article by Grimer which was published on UKC and then pulled.

bluebrad
 jkarran 20 Jul 2007

LOL... that's what I call a creative solution Mick! Post a reallllllly long real news story to move the duff one right down the page

jk
In reply to jkarran:

You deconstructing my motives, jkarran?

I do have several more up my sleeve, but the NWBF needs money....and we need good solid bolts.

I'm off to buy a pop-up tent!
 DAVETHOMAS90 20 Jul 2007

Have to agree with you Mick, about how newsworthy this item is. It is a great comment on our times, and insightful as ever from Mr Grimes. Actually, maybe it isn't an insightful piece at all, and I'm just projecting. I was just hoping I'd find a link to more of the same.

Like it.

Dave T.
 Niall Grimes 20 Jul 2007
May I just say in my defence that the views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of the author.
 Sul 20 Jul 2007

sorry don't agree shallow easy laughs piss taking. Anyway what is the problemn about this "dark side" to modern clibing among the elite. Did it not exist on the Brown Whillans days when, it is arguable they and their peers had more mainstream media coverage than today! eg Old Man of Hoy, Bonner's celebrity etc
 Green Porridge 20 Jul 2007

I really didn't enjoy the article - as people have said, it's not news. Why not put it in the featured articles section? Surely that would be a better place for it. Whilst I enjoy an amusing news article as much as anyone, this is not news, and IMHO, it cheapens articles like the Mike Reardon story.

This Grimes chap may have written some amusing stuff (I personally have never heard of him - but then I could chat to Jude Law in the street and not know who he/she is!), but I didn't find this article funny. As someone else said, it wasn't very well written, but more to the point, it just wasn't very good. As for being some kind of insightful comment on today's climbing community, I could do the same thing, just start a thread about sticking a bolt on some classic peak lines, or how I like top roping bold slab routes, but noone would say "yes, a good point well made, makes me think about an issue affecting the climbing community", they would just say "troll" and rightly so.

My point is, whilst I have nothing against Mr Grimes, I think this article is poor, and it is my feeling that if anyone had sent it in, it would not be put in the "news" page, or even the "articles" page, but in the recycle bin.

I don't wish to upset anyone, I do enjoy UKC, and generally find it well run and put together, but I felt this article inappropriate for the position it was given, and fear that it got in not because of its individual merit, but because of who wrote it.

Cheers,

Tim
(marktomlinson) 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Green Porridge:

Quite apart from the news issue. The article was not at all funny. The ironic 'we'll just warm up on this 8c' is occasionally used by all climbers, and may sometimes raise a smile. Grimes has used this pretty feeble joke umpteen times in his article. Not at all funny. The guy has written a GB and
does some annoying narration on Hard Grit, so is not cool enough to get away with this sort of thing!
(marktomlinson) 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Niall Grimes: That is nearly funny
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2007
I particularly like 'we shouted at some scotch people' :-D

Oh, and 'I went left hand, right hand, left hand, right hand, left hand right hand, left hand right hand' :-D :-D

Is it a piss take of a specific person's style, or of an amalgamation of styles?

CJD 20 Jul 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

I'm *still* sniggering about the tent entry on the blog.
 seagull 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Niall Grimes:

The only thing that troubled me is that there is already a MUCH more far fetched, amusing, ridiculosly written, bulls**t ridden, fantasy filled lie fest of a blog in exisistence.

If you're gonna write a diatribe critiquing this type of thing then why not just post a link to the Gaelic One's site?

To be fair most of the top boys blog things are pretty entertaining reading imvho. I like finding out which routes/problems people have been nailing (or not) from their point of view. And Dave Graham's ramblings in particular are often quite funny.

If your point was to rip it out of the whole top climber's blog thing then I just think you've missed the point a bit. Although as I posted earlier I may be being thick and it might be me missing the joke. Wouldn't be the first time.
J
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:
The tent one is great. I had one of those for the kids and it behaved in just the same way... it was never the same after I tried to persuade it back into being a neat little circle...
In reply to some:

It was a parody of so many top climber-pro and wanna-be top-climber blog entries that we see today....written by the BMC's guidebook guru. Would you like some examples of top-climber blogs...they read like something out of Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People"....as do some British climbing news pages!?

It was poking fun at ourselves or some of ourselves!.....in fact some won't like that as it is poking fun at some who visit UKClimbing.com.

Take this post for example from a gull that lives by the sea, "I like finding out which routes/problems people have been nailing (or not) from their point of view. And Dave Graham's ramblings in particular are often quite funny. (which we incidently report on at ukclimbing.com)

If your point was to rip it out of the whole top climber's blog thing then I just think you've missed the point a bit. Although as I posted earlier I may be being thick and it might be me missing the joke. Wouldn't be the first time. "

The last two sentences save this particular writer.

Niall as always cuts right to the chase......in the styleeee of the day.

Of course it does worry me that the news item right after Niall's (by an hour or so), "NEWS: North Wales Limestone Bolt Wear - A Solution"only garners 62 views at the forums....compared to Niall's 1,516 views, plus those on the News page that access that page independently.

Perhaps putting..Grimer, E11, Overshadow, Dunne and Birkett in the thread title has more pulling power than.......freakin hell those bolts that you trust your life to might actually break........have we really become a Headline Nation?

Sad really, but no surprises. "It's just a symptom of the moral decay that's gnawing at the heart of the nation."

Caught a big trout tonight after climbing!

Mick

...and yes I did read his tent entry first and thought it hilarious as I actually witnessed this tent, fully inflated at Pen Trwyn a few weeks ago...
 Marc C 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Some controversial thoughts about the blog phenomenon here:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,,2130793,00.html

I'm sure Baudrillard has something to say about it too (the fragments I can comprehend anyway!)in his theorisation of the loss of symbolic space and the cult of visibility: "Self-expression as the ultimate form of confession...Keeping no secrets... Talking, talking, endlessly communicating. And at the same time this expression is violent to language since it makes language lose its originality; it becomes nothing more than a medium, a visibility operator, losing its ironic or symbolic dimension where language is more important than what it is talking about."
 seagull 20 Jul 2007

Mick I fail to see how Grimer's blog was poking fun at someone like myself who enjoys reading about the top end of climbing from the horses mouth.

I also think you've kinda contradicted yourself by pointing out that you report these blogs?

And you've missed the main point of my post which was that if you want to see what a ridiculous parody of a hard climbers blog would look like (and want something really funny) then look here.........

v15-.blogspot.com/

When I started reading Grimer's blog entry I was hoping he was going for the jugular of pr***s like this rather than the climbing scene in general (which I see as being pretty healthy) and the reporting of hard ascents. Which, by your own admission (above), make your site successful.

Not really sure where you're going with this but you also seem to be slightly confused.

UKB Shark 20 Jul 2007

In the seventies twas called the silly seasaon for the tabloids newswise LOL Jeez..knowhachamean...MAN I HATE WALKING too !!!!
In reply to seagull:

Sorry seagull I'm busy doing a advertising proposal for EVent fabrics for UKClimbing.com.

At the moment I have to think on my feet....and only 20 mins before I rush down to the bookshop with my son to get the latest Potter book.

Be good.
M
 seagull 20 Jul 2007

No problem. Glad to hear that the book is for your lad or I would be really concerned. I am firmly in the "it's a kid's book" camp.

craig d 21 Jul 2007
My personal viewpoint is that Grimer's writing is not funny or interesting, and certainly does not need to be publicised as NEWS. You are turning into a tabloid journalist. Sometimes if there is nothing to say you would be better off staying away from your keyboard.
OP Michael Ryan 21 Jul 2007
In reply to craig d:

We try to do a mix of news Craig. Some hard, some soft. Some about new routes, some repeats, events, competitions, mountain, media, BMC, some video, destinations, literary, personalities, mountain rescue, publishing, climbing industry, comments from climbers, sport| bouldering|alpine|ice| mountain.......etc..

This is the last two months worth.

July 2007:
Michael Reardon Obituary in the Independent Online
North Wales Limestone Bolt Wear - A Solution
Grimer Repeats Overshadow, E11 and various Dunne/Birkett E10's
Hard Rock Challenge - The Scoop, Strone Ulladale
Sheffield's School Room Under Threat of Closure
Renaming the BMC - suggestions
Junior British Bouldering Championships results and report
Never Mind The Puffins - John Redhead's Poster
Michael Reardon - Eye witness report
US Soloist Michael Reardon Missing
Cliffhanger BMC Bouldering Competition Results
Birkett's Up At Cam Crag, Wasdale again!
Cliffhanger - Graves Park, this weekend
Eric Lopez of Spain, Two Fr 9a's in a day!
Birmingham Walls Bonanza: Redpoint and Creation
Gareth Parry Wins Nissan Outdoor Games
Jobs In The Climbing Trade...Want One?
Moderate Classics in Alaska
DWS Festival Pembroke: Saturday July 28th
Johnny Dawes, Manchester Concrete Classic, circa 1984
Pakistan’s Beautiful Virgin Summit Climbed
VIDEO: Steve McClure versus Chris Sharma
Leo Houlding: from Everest to Reality TV
Hard Rock Challenge - Two Weeks To Go
Results of 2007 Youth Climbing Series (BRYCS)

June 2007:
British Regional Youth Climbing Series final at Ratho
Crag AttaK, Cheddar...Cancelled
Big Wall Climbing Can Kill You: a sobering tale of Ryoichi and Mariko
VIDEO/ARTICLE/BETA: Lisa Rands Bouldering at Rocklands, South Africa
BMC Bolt Giveaway Bonanza: North Wales Hits The Jackpot!
Andy Earl Climbs Beautiful New 8B in Northumberland
Deep Water Soloing Gets A Ban In the USA
Cliffhanger: Climbing, Orienteering & Beer Festival
Parents of Climbing Children Should Take Heed
Bouldering World Cup Results: Italy: Watson Does Good
Major Flood In Sheffield Causes Death, Chaos and Shuts the Foundry
True Adventure in the Outer Hebrides - HXS
Jack Geldard Climbs New Welsh E8 Between Showers
Daniel Woods V15, Simon Moore V13 in RMNP, Colorado
Alps Masters: An Interview with Miha Valic and Martin Moran
Slovenians Climb Lake District Birkett E8
Steve McClure Outshines Fellow Climbing Celebrities
Dick Turnbull's Outside....20 years old
James McHaffie Downgrades Trauma to E8
The Further Branding Of Everest...drive all the way to basecamp
Yosemite News...with Video and Photos.
Mick Fowler Photo inspires first ascent in India's Garhwal Himalaya
Old Guy Climbs 8b, 41 year old Boulderer Does Cuillin Ridge
Two New Walls: Manchester and Bristol
Dave Pickford Responds to Dave Birkett
Leo Houlding, Kevin Thaw, Gerry Moffat, Conrad Anker summit Everest
Birkett: "Routes at Pembroke are easier than in other places"
Dave Macleod sponsored by Gore-Tex
Neil Gresham's Take On Dave MacLeod's Take On Indian Face
Tyler Landman V14/15 repeat plus Video
Tim Clifford Solves The Room Project at Squamish
New BMC Website Up and Running
VIDEO: Dave Birkett on The Brothers Karamazov E9 6c
BMC Stanage Shindig in Sheffield
North Wales Bouldering News
Black Diamond Equipment 50 years old
Dave Macleod on Indian Face/Trauma E9's
Jude Spancken onsights Lord of the Flies E6
Dave Birkett Repeats Dave Pickford's Pembroke E9
New Llanberis Climbers' Pub and Campsite
Three Friday Night Videos: Harness, Sharma, the shortspan.com
All-Free Rope Solo of El Capitan
British Buildering Championships- this weekend
New Line on Mount Robson by Steve House and Colin Haley
Steve McClure In the General UK Media
Svolvaer Goat, Norway - Now De-horned
UKClimbing.com Site News
Five Summer Climbing Festivals
The Next Hardest Sport Route in the World!
"Scrambling is the New Climbing," says Dave Birkett
SAT NIGHT VIDEO: Double Feature
999 Mountain Rescue please
Stella McCartney 'Sexy' Adidas Rock Shoes
 Bulls Crack 21 Jul 2007

zzzzzzzzzzzz
OP Michael Ryan 22 Jul 2007
In reply to Bulls Crack:
>
> zzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm glad you know how I feel sometimes.

sam the man 28 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Since seeing Nial Grimes at the outdoor show quite a few years ago, I have always found his writing and speaking very funny (If I'd have heard of him before he showed us a picture of what happened when he tried to throw his cat over a fence, I'm sure I'd have found him funny then too). Pity then that this article didn't really live up to his usual standard- a few funny bits and a couple of nice points, but a bit OTT in its piss taking. I did love the "right left right left" bit though.....
Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...