UKC

NEWS: Hard Free Ascent in Patagonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 13 Feb 2009
Nicolas Favresse, Sean Villanueva and Ben Ditto have made the first free ascent of the central tower of the Torres del Paine
via the South African Route (5.12c/7b+ 1200m).

"Even though we never had very good weather we were disappointed that it
wasn't worse as we were looking forward to..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46058
TWR 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

They look like psychos... good effort though.
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: These guys are on some tour!! The Bugs, Yosemite, Indian Creak, Banfin Island? and now here!! (Thats since August) They've got some motivation and the stamina to keep cranking!! Impressive stuff!!
 john howard 1 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Awesome stuff
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Fantastic set of videos, really enjoyed them. =o)

Awesome
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 13 Feb 2009

I think these guys are making perhaps the most interesting new routes on the world stage at the moment. Their track record over the past 12 months is remarkable...

Neil
 French Erick 14 Feb 2009
In reply to Neil Foster:
Agreed Neil.
Those guys rock. None of this puny fighting over grades and things on rock faces hardly bigger than pebbles.
Proper onsight spirit, with only the occasional redpoint.
They were well impressive when they came to the BMC meet too.

Just get out there and get stuff done... a few images and vids to keep sponsors happy but no massive media machinery.
 chrisprescott 14 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Incredible effort! I particularly like the music video, just shows how relaxed and in control of the situation they are
 Frank4short 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Great effort gotta wonder why Belgian Sean's name is always reported as just Sean Villanueva when AFAIK it's Sean Villanueva O'Driscoll.
 Peter Rhodes 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Frank4short: Yeah, but he doesn't care much for the Irish moniker as far as we could tell, was a bit cagey when I saw it in his passport!!
 Frank4short 17 Feb 2009
In reply to northtrials: Really? First i've heard of it.
 Alun 19 Feb 2009
In reply to French Erick:
> They were well impressive when they came to the BMC meet too.

I had the pleasure of climbing with Sean on the first day of the meet, without having a clue of who he was or his experience. After a couple of warm ups I sent him up Right Wall on the Cromlech, during which he only placed 4 bits of gear. Afterwards I decided in my ignorance to point out that "he had missed quite a few good placements". He accepted the criticism seriously yet without at all being defensive, and it was only after he had walked up Lord of Flies that I realised that he was not bothering to place gear because it was obvious that F7a/b climbing was no more than a warm-up, and therefore didn't need that much protection!

A very strong, very talented, and most importantly of all very friendly and approachable chap. Many congratulations on his and Nico's success in Patagonia.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...