UKC

NEWS: Hard Kilnsey First Ascent by Alex Barrows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 May 2021

Alex Barrows has made the first ascent of a new line bolted by Neil Gresham at Kilnsey, which he has named Preposterous Tales. Alex is unsure of the grade, but estimates it to be somewhere between 8c and 9a+. The route follows Epic Adventures 8c almost to the end, before heading rightwards and finishing at the shared chains of Freakshow, Premonition, Guns in the Sky and Mandela.

Read more

Intergalactic Planetary 11 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome. Looks an amazing line.

Another route at Kilnsey I’ll never do. I can dream though.

Nic 11 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

"Started climbing at 17" - is this right? I haven't managed to get my 7 year olds interested yet but sounds like there's still time (and yes, I know they could still have a lot of fun even if they *don't* climb 9a...)

abarro81 11 May 2021
In reply to Nic:

> "Started climbing at 17" - is this right?

Yeah, I started in 6th form. I was lucky enough that my school had a small climbing wall in its sports hall. Started as a tradder (lots of going soloing down Avon because the gorge was a shorter walk than the indoor wall) and gradually ended up getting more into sport and bouldering as I got more and more obsessed. I'm definitely not one from the "been good and on the GB team since they were a kid" camp! I reckon your 7 year olds have still got plenty of potential to be 9b (or c!) crushers if they want to be

Removed User 12 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Nice to see some of Neil's visionary projects getting ticked off. Nice work Alex.

In reply to abarro81:

Nice one Alex! Really awesome to see you getting such a prize line on a UK crag. For a moment there I thought you were a muppet for naming it after a Pembroke cave of slime, then felt bad when I remembered the day you got that book! Tim’s lecture was legendary. 

abarro81 13 May 2021
In reply to richsmithinbristol:

That lecture was awesome, that and the climbing club definitely helped change the course of my life - thanks!!

Post edited at 19:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...