UKC

NEWS: Hard Rock Challenge - Two Weeks To Go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 02 Jul 2007
Only two weeks to go.

With this weather do you reckon they stand a chance?

Well, you can bet on whether Mark Stevenson and Rich Mayfield can complete the sixty routes in Ken Wilson's book, Hard Rock in five weeks starting July 13th at Cheddar Gorge.

Here's one: SJC predicts 49 routes in 29 days, 10 hrs, 0 mins
"Good luck. I hope you do better than 49, but I really think the weather is against you."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Sam M 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Someone better bet that we do all 60! or I will get upset and give up before we even start

Sam :0)
 Mark Kemball 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Well, I wouldn't like to be starting on Coronation Street in the wet. (I thought it would be OK but backed off halfway up pitch 3) - you'd probably need a bit of aid. Went back later and did it in the dry. What a superb route, some of the others may seem a bit of an anti-climax after that.
 sutty 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Seen the picture of Sam's mobile toilets at last on that link, looks smart so far.

In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Why arn't they starting at bosigran and finishing at Hoy?
Sam M 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Bird Ban down South till August!

and we can only climb at Cheddar on a Friday!

Sam
 Owen W-G 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

I'm real confused. Isn't Corrie St out of bounds until October?
 JDDD 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: I blame all the flooding and all the crap weather on this project. I mean - what were you thinking? Surely everyone knows that if you plan anything weather dependent in the UK, it is guarenteed to rain!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, although I have to say that all this rain is doing wonders to our allotment!
Sam M 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yes it is but we have special permission!

Peeps - Please read the blog or website before you ask any more questions!

Thanks Sam
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Someone better bet that we do all 60! or I will get upset and give up before we even start
>
> Sam :0)

Go on then.I bet you guys will do all 60!
Good luck-especially with the weather!

Cheers

Dave

Nj 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Will there be any rules about freeing the routes (apart from Scoop!) rest points, falls etc? Just a question, not a dig.
Go for it guys, I am jealous!
In reply to Nj: the only routes, which have aid are Main Overhang and the scoop, which are aid climbs in their own right. I think their is a route in North Wales that goes free at E4/5 or E1 and step in the sling.

Presumabley Great Wall will be freed?
Sam M 02 Jul 2007

All routes freed apart from Scoop and Main Overhang.

Most freed on site as boys only done a hand-full before.

Most freed in the rain at this rate!

Thanks for your good wishes folks.

Hard Rock Team
 Al Evans 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Mark Kemball: Coronation St in the wet is a lot better option than many of the other days in the wet.
Al
 Simon 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

EVRYTHING is wet at the moment Al - when will the ruddy weather change - Sam - bring some blanca sunshine!

Si
 John Mcshea 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon:
> EVRYTHING is wet at the moment Al
Had a good day down on the Culm yesterday.
Jb.
OP Michael Ryan 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> EVRYTHING is wet at the moment Al
Had a good day at Burbage North yesterday
Sam M 02 Jul 2007

Mike and others - have you seen the work that Mark has done on the main website site?

Take a look at the page with all the routes on, you pass some of the routes and photos appear!! looks brill!

Sam
 Simon 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Nice feature of the site Sam - keep on adding the routes shots!

si
OP Michael Ryan 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Mike and others - have you seen the work that Mark has done on the main website site?
>
> Take a look at the page with all the routes on, you pass some of the routes and photos appear!! looks brill!

Maybe provide a link......after all that is what this media is about!

Sam M 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Bob:

Thanks Bob, when Mark first did the website you could not link to the pages, just took you to the home page!

I guess he has fixed that bit aswell!

Sam - sitting around the pool drinking red wine as it is my last night in Spain for a while :0)

Simon 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Bob)

> Sam - sitting around the pool drinking red wine as it is my last night in Spain for a while :0)

Enjoy the last of the dry weather!

Just been out in the garden with Sara & we are soaked!

:0(
Sam M 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon:

Its so warm at the moment, I am going to miss this place! bugger wet UK for 5 weeks, is it too late to change my mind?

Sam
 Ropeboy 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Good luck!

Not too sure about the weather though.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp

J
 Simon 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Its so warm at the moment, I am going to miss this place! bugger wet UK for 5 weeks, is it too late to change my mind?
>
> Sam

Its going to be fine - all good - keep positive!!

;0)

Si
Agent Moog 02 Jul 2007

From the news item:

Simply the order is: Chedder - North Wales - Lakes - Scotland mainland - Old man of Hoy - Scotland main land - Skye - Isle of Harris - Scotland mainland - Arran - Yorkshire - North Wales - Peaks District - South West.

Peaks District??? I presume you did this on purpose Mick.
Sam M 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Agent Moog:

He has not answered so what do we think?

Unless I did it by mistake!!

Sam
 Chris F 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
>>
> Peeps - Please read the blog or website before you ask any more questions!
>
Why?

Sam M 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris F:

because I will not be able to answer any more questions when I get on the road, or in fact from today as I am going to France to sit by a river till Sunday, yippee!!!

Sam
 BrianT 03 Jul 2007

Jude has posted a blog article about the Hard Rock Challenge (and about the cliffhanger festival). A lot of non-climbers read the blog so it might garner some interest from folks who'd otherwise have missed it...

http://judecalverttoulmin.blogspot.com/

Anyone who'd rather stick pins in their eyes than read JCT's blog, drop me an email and I'll send you some.
 Chris F 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> because I will not be able to answer any more questions when I get on the road, or in fact from today as I am going to France to sit by a river till Sunday, yippee!!!
>
How?
 Ropeboy 03 Jul 2007
In reply to BrianT:

Hi Brian,

Say Hello to Jude from us.

J
Sam M 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris F:

We are staying with friends near Bezier till Sunday, and am relaying on her PC!

Sam
Sam M 05 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Ignore that last message, we are now off the Font as its a bit too cold to swim in the river at the moment and my boys (all 3 ) are board..

JamieAyres 05 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Sam M)
>
> my boys (all 3 ) are board..
>

board? card board? surf board?

'Chedder' ??

oh deary me!

Just kiddin... Best of luck - a worthwhile challenge which should be loads of fun. : )

BrianT 05 Jul 2007
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Say Hello to Jude from us.
>
> J

Will do! Might see you at Cliffhanger if you're off.

Sam: The interview with you and Rich about the Hard Rock Challenge is on Jude's blog as well, forgot to say.
 Simon 05 Jul 2007
In reply to BrianT:
>

There on Sat boss so will look for the Beacons & will take the invite up for the party after - lets get that Shed idea nailed!

;0)

si
 Mark Stevenson 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon:
> Nice feature of the site Sam - keep on adding the routes shots!

I'm still trying to get hold of more photos - anyone with photos of the routes (or even just the crags!) that don't display on http://www.hardrockchallenge.org.uk/05-10-00-routes.html please let me know.

I can't use any UKC photo gallery shots unless I've got permission. If anyone spots any really good shots that I've missed, let me know and I'll email the photographers.

Cheers,
Mark

BrianT 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon: PARTY!?! <splutters tea all over> who said owt about a PARTY?!!
 Mike C 06 Jul 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Hi Mark
There are some shots of South Ridge Direct in my gallery which you can happily use. I think I may have some shots of Preying Mantis at home (not very recent mind). I'll check over the weekend.
Mike
Sam M 09 Jul 2007
Now sat in a very Sunny London, is this the UK you told us about???

Whats it doing up north?

Sam and Rich
 Banned User 77 09 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: Heavy rain this morning in Snowdonia.
In reply to Sam M:

This is the trouble here. We have hosepipe bans in the south when the north is flooded.

I should have escaped to better climes & climbs years ago!
 CJD 09 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

it's still reasonably bright in Huddersfield but getting cloudier. I think the sunny weekend may have been a blip.
Sam M 09 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:

I am sat on the Thames at the moment in bright sunshine, starting to feel a bit sick at the thought of all that driving- we have already done over 2.5k just to get here!!

Stuart S 09 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Blue sky day in Aberdeen, and forecast to remain decent till mid-week. Not so good after that...
 Mark Kemball 13 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: So, they start today, how's it going?
 BALD EAGLE 13 Jul 2007
In reply to Mark Kemball:
Well it started raining in Bristol at about 12 noon so I'm hoping the boys made an early start on Coronation Street.
Fingers crossed for a first tick!
 Panda :o) 13 Jul 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

The boys did Coronation Street in just short of three hours and got well and truly rained on!

BALD EAGLE 13 Jul 2007
In reply to Panda :
Excellent news!
1 down & 59 to go.Easy peasy lemon squeezy...
 sutty 13 Jul 2007
In reply to Panda :

Are they going to be sponsored by terry towelling for this trip, seems like they may need it. I have lots if they run out, just need a rendezvous on the journey north.

Mark Kemball 13 Jul 2007
In reply to Panda : An impressive start, Coronation Street in the rain - as I said above, not at all easy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...