/ ARTICLE: How to Support the Outdoor Industry During COVID-19

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
UKC Articles 24 Mar 2020
Distant but united.

As a small but growing industry, the outdoor sphere will be severely impacted by the effects of COVID-19. One thing we've got going for us, however, is a tightly-knit community of climbers and walkers who have already demonstrated acts of solidarity towards climbing walls, outdoor freelancers and other small businesses. Crowdfunding pages have been set up and social media has been put to its best use in fielding support for the vulnerable and most hard-hit people during this time of need.

Here are some ways you can help keep the outdoor industry afloat and keep others in good spirits.

Read more
Alex Riley 24 Mar 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Can't highlight how much this has impacted the freelance outdoor instructor community, most of us have lost all our work indefinitely and until the government changes their support for the self employed, lots of people are pretty screwed (hopefully looks like this might change this week). 

Lots of people are putting out great material and info in the mean time. Stuff like Jezb's videos on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgKkRd_VrRCebUU2WrcD2ww

Booking courses in advance could be helpful, also remote tips and tricks and coaching are definitely possible (learn how to escape the system in your living room etc...).

jezb1 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Cheers for the mention Alex!

Link doesn't work for me, hopefully this one does to the latest video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XCygHi-HKU

barry donovan 26 Mar 2020

Outdoor industry - Climbing walls - indoor industry right ?  

Mountain Spirit 28 Mar 2020

I have done my first bit.... 

I have purchased a box of Hard Bars from the website. 

I plan to buy some QDs for sport climbing from an Urban Rock website and maybe some campus rungs from Moon Climbing.

Miight buy a guidebook for Oliana and Santa Linya called Lleida Climbs. 

Sav

Post edited at 17:46
pilates 31 Mar 2020
In reply to UKCles:

I certainly have bought climbing goods recently ( Beastmaster 1 & 2....awesome by the way). However, I think the outdoor gear supply industry needs to take a step back and investigate to ensure they're not facilitating the purchase of products from countries where regimes ( any regime): suppresses freedom of expression of its citizens and executes them for dissent; decimates rare and endangered species; murders it's own citizens in concentration....... sorry, 're-education centres,' because they have certain religious beliefs (I'm an agnostic), whilst removing their organs; practices barbaric animal cruelty at every opportunity. Then continues to openly embrace 'wet markets' which creates Pandemics whilst suppressing information that would have mitigated the spread of death. I personally would pay, much, much more for my gear, if ethically sourced at every stage. I've sent a couple of enquiries recently to certain retailers-because I wanted to purchase a duvet jacket- about where the said item was manufactured. I didn't have any responses-so far. I'd be interested in hearing what Brand Ambassadors feel about this. You never know. if ordinary folk refused to purchase goods sourced from vile regimes-which have ultimately annihilated the World economy anyway. They may well be forced to stop their human & animal rights abuses at the very least.  

Post edited at 20:09
Mountain Spirit 31 Mar 2020
In reply to pilates:

I am trying to be an ethical shopper at the moment.... 

.... It is quite difficult. 

I was going to buy laptop but I have postponed the purchase because of several reasons including companies using child labour in DRC and working on defence technology. 

I have replaced all Easter chocolates with Hard Bars. The only ethical chocolate company I know is Divine.

Chocolate issues include: children as young as eight working on plantations in Africa and Latin America, deforestation and the homes of Orangutans being destroyed in order to grow oil palms for palm oil. 

I think I have posted before about gear companies and countries that abuse human rights. 

I, myself, am planning to buy some outdoor gear and will consider your post in mind.

Sav

Post edited at 21:55
pilates 14:09 Wed
In reply to Mountain Spirit: It goes for a variety of things we now 'rely' on. I'm sat here wearing a duvet jacket manufactured in China. So, in essence, my hypocrisy goes before me. So if I look like a refugee from a charity shop next time I go climbing (how joyous that will be) so be it. I would implore the more well-known brands to operate with ethical principles at the forefront of their business. I fully comprehend the argument that cheaper manufacturing costs mean the retail price bring those goods into the ranges of affordability of most people who embrace the outdoor scene. However, it is, in my opinion, a Straw Man argument. We as a climbing/hillwalking community should lobby the gear manufacturers at every opportunity to change their practices. Only with the withdrawal of working capital can we force the Chinese Government (I consider the ordinary Chinese as much as victims of this regime as the rest of the world is) to comply with standards of civilised countries. Their corruption has been ignored for too long. A classic being Huawei trading as an unlisted company whose working capital is heavily subsidised by the Chinese regime, despite their denial. For example, they succeeded in undercutting Eriksson by 90% in bidding for the roll-out of 5G.  Ninety per cent! Yet, the Government took them aboard despite the other participants of the '5 eyes' security network having an apoplectic fit. Not a scintilla of suspicion in the minds of May and then Bojo? Really? Certain individuals might think that there's Government corruption somewhere. I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly comment. Stay well amigo and look forward to great days in the outdoors in the near future, hopefully. 

In reply to pilates:

I agree. 

The phone I am using is a Huawei Mate 20 lite and my La Sportiva Roots trousers, although designed in Italy, are made in Ethiopia. 

Rob Jarratt 07:59 Fri

I have already been thinking about helping with purchases etc. In fact I was booked on a "fear of falling" course which has had to be postponed. I offered to cancel without a refund as long as I got first refusal on any new dates. I am a bit concerned about places like climbing walls. I have a feeling that the staff at my local climbing wall are all on zero hours contracts. How is the management at the wall treating its staff? I want there to be a wall to go back to, but if they have just dumped their staff with no support then I am not sure I want to support them. Of course, without money they can't help their staff, I just want to be sure that by helping the owners I will be helping the staff too. Can their staff access the governments 80% thing, how does that work if they are on zero hours?

Alex Riley 09:14 Fri
In reply to Rob Jarratt:

I’m on a casual contract at a wall (routesetting) and although I didn’t have any worked booked in I’m getting paid as a furloughed worked based on my average wage over the last three months. It’s not much (I don’t do many hours) but I appreciate the support.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.