UKC

NEW ARTICLE: I Want That Job! #1 Tim Neill, Plas y Brenin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 07 Jan 2008
In this new article series I Want That Job! I'll be interviewing people from various professions within the climbing world. If you think your job is a dream come true (it has to be climbing related) and if you're willing to be interviewed - then drop me a line. Likewise if you can think of a job that you'd like to have - suggest it in the forums and I'll try and track someone down.

First up is Tim Neill. Tim is the Head of Rock Climbing at Plas y Brenin, the National Mountain Centre in North Wales.

Is it all cruising to Tremadog, climbing the best routes and eating ice-cream in the sunshine? I caught up with Tim at the Galt y Glyn hotel in Llanberis for a pizza and a pint to find out more:

Read the full article here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=761
 Morgan Woods 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

cool article....like the idea behind it.
 Ed Booth 07 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Very interesting. Would be cool to perhaps ask if the people being interviewed have a degree and if they think that is a good idea and what they have planned as a back up if they break their leg or something.
Ed
OP Jack Geldard 07 Jan 2008
In reply to boothy: Hi Boothy,

Cheers for the input, I'd hope that if a Degree was relevant to the job then the interviewee would mention that in the Question: Any Relevant Qualifications?

I think the sick pay situation is a good question - As far as I know (and I'm no expert!) most employed people have a sick pay deal in their contract and self employed people can choose to insure themselves against loss of earnings.
I'll slip the sick-pay bit in to the Perks/Holidays question - so we can get an idea.

Jack
 minimike 07 Jan 2008

judging from this site, i'd say PhD student is pretty much ideal...
 Booey 08 Jan 2008
> In this new article series I Want That Job! I'll be interviewing people from various professions within the climbing world. If you think your job is a dream come true (it has to be climbing related) and if you're willing to be interviewed - then drop me a line. Likewise if you can think of a job that you'd like to have - suggest it in the forums and I'll try and track someone down.
>
> First up is Tim Neill. Tim is the Head of Rock Climbing at Plas y Brenin, the National Mountain Centre in North Wales.
>
> Is it all cruising to Tremadog, climbing the best routes and eating ice-cream in the sunshine? I caught up with Tim at the Galt y Glyn hotel in Llanberis for a pizza and a pint to find out more:
>
> Read the full article here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=761

I went on a leading course with Tim Neill last year, what a great guy he is. Amazing climber who taught me so much about climbing in a short time. The article is a great idea,it gives a good background on the unsung heroes who teach climbing.
 Rob Jarvis 10 Jan 2008

Good stuff, nice one Jack & Tim. Perhaps the fact that Tim doesn't like doing assessments is the one of the reasons why he is so good at them.

Good to show some of the folk who think all instructors / Guides are just that and not 'climbers' how spectacularly wrong they are!

Cheers, Rob.
liz davey 10 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: who else have you got lined up, jack?

liz
x
OP Jack Geldard 10 Jan 2008
In reply to liz davey: Wait and see... #2 out next week.

Jack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...