UKC

NEWS: IFSC Boulder World Cup: Moscow - Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Apr 2018
The second round of the 2018 IFSC Boulder World Cup series took place in Moscow, Russia this weekend alongside the first round of the Speed World Cup. A mix of old school setting and dynamic moves resulted in an exciting final, even if the problems for the women were perhaps slightly too easy.

Read more
 JLS 24 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

With Janja not going to China it looks like it could be Miho's year for the overall.

What's the word on the street as to why Shauna isn't going to China?

alx 24 Apr 2018
In reply to JLS:

China would require being on the road away from home for a while with her injury.  Given that she looks like she’s operating at 60% and still making finals, I would imagine Shauna will most likely prioritise training for a peak in performance for the World Championships at Innsbruck in September.

SuperLee1985 25 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Seriously impressive how Janja has moved so seamlessly from dominating in Lead, to apparently dominating in Boulder.

JLS 25 Apr 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

I wonder if the physical requirements for both IFSC disciplines are really all that different these days.

In some ways the repeated 4/5 minute efforts of bouldering look to have a bigger endurance requirement than the single 6 minute lead efforts. Hence the same competitors can climb at similarly high levels in both competitions.

Post edited at 08:47
 AlanLittle 25 Apr 2018
In reply to JLS:

There's certainly crossover, but it's hard to see how to differentiate them more.

Given that *actual* cutting edge bouldering these days involves falling off the same five moves over & over again in a dank forest in Finland over a period of multiple years, I struggle to see how it could be made into a thrilling spectator sport.

JLS 25 Apr 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

Yeah well, there is obviously pressure to make the events more spectator friendly with the runny jumpy stuff  in boulders and the increasing use of bouldery volumes in lead. Personally I'd prefer to see the lead stick with PE crimp fests and increase the time allowed so that improvised rests on sh!t holds were rewarded but I get it that not everyone finds "shaking out" an exciting tension builder.

AlanLittle 25 Apr 2018
In reply to JLS:

Surely the argument against crimp ladders - apart from them being visually boring - is that the climbers these days are so strong, it's next to impossible to make the crimps small enough. So you have to start adding in actual tricky moves as well.

Agree on the time limit though.

Post edited at 10:44
 stp 25 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see Tomoa win again finally. I think the final round really suited his style though. The crux of every problem involved a dynamic coordination move.

The consistency of the top male competitors is truly impressive: Tomoa, Jongwon Chon and Alexey Rubstov rarely seem to miss finals now. I wonder if Jernej Kruder will continue his good form to join this elite group.

The women's boulders were a too easy in the final so a shame the final had to be decided by countback.

stp 25 Apr 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

I think the pure PE crimp ladders also favour lighter climbers too. I remember Adam Ondra saying it's really hard for him to compete on the pure resistance comp routes because he's towards the upper weight for competiton lead climbers.

I think the reduced time limits seem to stop climbers shaking out for too long in lead these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...