UKC

NEWS: IFSC Lead/Speed World Cup & Paraclimbing Cup Edinburgh: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Sep 2017
The fifth round of the IFSC Lead World Cup took place at EICA Ratho near Edinburgh this weekend. For the first time in 14 years, the IFSC lead circuit returned to the UK, once again attracting the World's best lead competition climbers to the quarry-turned-climbing wall in Ratho, which was also the chosen venue for the UIAA World Cup in December 2003. The weekend also hosted a round of the IFSC Speed World Cup and the Paraclimbing Cup.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

I hope Hannah Slaney is happy with her performance, one place behind Anak Verhoeven (who recently climbed 9a+!!).

In reply to UKC News:
The 'read more' link isn't working for me. Windows/ Google Chrome.
 Spanish Jack 25 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:
The Edinburgh International Climbing Arena was such a perfect venue to host this event.
Perfect setting and crowd made it throughly enjoyable. The only downsides was the 6 minute rule as some climbers might have just topped the rote with a little more time and a shakeout. Thus the routesetting was really on point.
Post edited at 14:50
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
I get the following message in red 'Error: That post doesn't exist in the database'. The photo link on the main page gets the same message.
Post edited at 15:57
 john arran 25 Sep 2017
In reply to john arran:
Thanks John - that works.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Pressing Ctrl+F5 to force refresh would also work on the That post doesn't exist page.
 galpinos 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
You appear to have a picture of Jakob Schubert captioned as Jain Kim........
Post edited at 16:33
In reply to galpinos:
My fault, there was an almost mirror-image photo of Jain Kim in the same pose that I also uploaded and they looked very similar in the thumbnails!
Post edited at 16:41
In reply to UKC News:

Hope this can become a regular fixture on the IFSC calendar. Great job BMC.
 stp 25 Sep 2017
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Agreed. It would be great if the UK could have at least one international event each year. A bouldering one too would be even better.

It would also be good, given Team GB's decent results, if the BMC would give a bit more support now in getting them round the rest of the world cup circuit. We have some very talented climbers. I could see Molly Thompson Smith making finals on a regular basis. They just need plenty of experience at the different walls to perform their best.
In reply to UKC News:

I've been heavily involved with the event over the last 9 months and of course the last week building up to it and I'd just like to say that the success of this event is due to many factors and many people, but largely it's to the amazing team at EICA: Ratho and Edinburgh Leisure The event was planned and prepped by their event organisers, funding was largely from EL, Event Scotland and City of Edinburgh Council.

It's rare that the hosting climbing wall is the event organiser, but in this case it was and fair play to them, they know how to run a great event! Incredible atmosphere!!!

And of course all the volunteers who put in the work over the weekend and those that stayed behind afterwards to clean up :P
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:
Well done to all involved. Any idea of the likelihood of it repeating next year Robbie?
Post edited at 08:35
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Yeah thats definitely a possibility - I'd like to think it can become a regular thing, I guess a lot of it is down to finance, but I think we're going in the right direction. Definitely we would like to be able to host all 3 disciplines later down the line Watch this space!
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

That's great to hear. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...