UKC

NEWS: IFSC Releases Toulouse Combined Qualifier Startlist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Nov 2019

The International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) has released a startlist for the IFSC Combined Qualifier event in Toulouse, France at the end of this month. As previously reported, a last-minute rule change made by the IFSC caused confusion as the 2 athletes per country maximum quota was dropped, meaning that 2 men and 2 women who had initially made the top 20 cut-off were surplus to the selection event quota and their invitations were revoked. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) appears to have approved the IFSC's proposal to invite an expanded field of 22 athletes per category to Toulouse.

Read more

JLS 21 Nov 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Boooooo... to Team Japan! Stand aside, give the others a clean run.

#noreasontobethere

Michael Hood 21 Nov 2019
In reply to JLS:

So say Japan took one less male, does that mean no 23 in the rankings now gets an invite, or does it mean only 21 in the competition?

In the actual competition I can't see how it makes much difference if they're there or not; top 6 who are eligible (so not including any from Japan) get the places.

And if I was Japan, I think I'd want as many of my athletes as possible having reached the qualification standard - just in case things went funny during the next year. The rules have already shown themselves to be even less obvious than originally thought. If anything goes wonky approaching the Olympics with a difficult dispute, the IOC is much more likely to go for an easy "add an extra athlete who's also reached the qualification standard" rather than the risk of missing out someone who should be there.

Methinks you is wielding a wooden spoon

JLS 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

> So say Japan took one less male, does that mean no 23 in the rankings now gets an invite, or does it mean only 21 in the competition?

I'd need to look again at all the to-ing adn fro-ing on the two per country rule to work that out but it's clear on the mens side, two guys have missed out due Japan having four there.

> In the actual competition I can't see how it makes much difference if they're there or not; top 6 who are eligible (so not including any from Japan) get the places.

It could potential make a big diffrence. Example, if a guy is 11th at qualification stage he misses the final if 4 Japanese are ahead, leaving him 7th in line and out of the OG places. Had the Japanese not been there he'd have gone into the finals in 7th place with a chance to move up one spot in the final.

Also, the mathmatics of scoring system mean that if you aren't able to shine in your best decipline, bouldering say, due to the Japanese also being strong in the decipline then that gives an advantage to guys that are stronger at deciplines where the Japanese are relatively weaker. Every place you lose to a Japanese guy will really dent your multiplication factor.

> And if I was Japan, I think I'd want as many of my athletes as possible having reached the qualification standard - just in case things went funny during the next year. The rules have already shown themselves to be even less obvious than originally thought. If anything goes wonky approaching the Olympics with a difficult dispute, the IOC is much more likely to go for an easy "add an extra athlete who's also reached the qualification standard" rather than the risk of missing out someone who should be there.

Yeah, I guess the Japanese still think there is the legal side still to play for.

> Methinks you is wielding a wooden spoon

As ever.

Post edited at 13:01
 Rad 21 Nov 2019

Thanks Nat. Another nice summary.

To those frowning on Team Japan, they are just trying to get their best athletes into the Olympics. Their hope had long been to get as many athletes 'qualified' via Hachioji, Toulouse, Asian championships and wait until 2020 to select which ones would actually go to the Olympics within their 2 per gender quota. This is the subject of the litigation mentioned.

Meanwhile, other athletes are not being harmed by Japan's actions. The four who would have been bumped when the Japanese athletes were allowed to go to Toulouse were invited anyway as mentioned in the article.  Scoring in Toulouse won't be affected either because the output will be an order of athletes, where the top 6 will get Oly invites unless their country has already maxed out its slots. So just sit back and get psyched to see another great combined comp in a week!

Michael Hood 21 Nov 2019
In reply to JLS:

> It could potential make a big diffrence. Example, if a guy is 11th at qualification stage he misses the final if 4 Japanese are ahead, leaving him 7th in line and out of the OG places. Had the Japanese not been there he'd have gone into the finals in 7th place with a chance to move up one spot in the final.

> Also, the mathmatics of scoring system mean that if you aren't able to shine in your best decipline, bouldering say, due to the Japanese also being strong in the decipline then that gives an advantage to guys that are stronger at deciplines where the Japanese are relatively weaker. Every place you lose to a Japanese guy will really dent your multiplication factor.

So that might make a difference to other individuals, but not to the competition as a whole; e.g. might stop someone recovering from 11th -4 = 7th to 6th, but of course that also means it stops someone who was 6th, dropping out of the places to 7th. Also the "best discipline" argument will again distort things for individuals but not overall.

Missing places - I see what you mean, it's not the extra 2 from Japan, the athletes they bumped down are now going, it's the athletes "denied" by the "original" 2 going to Toulouse. Cruel but since they were ranked 23 & 24, they would presumably have less chance of qualifying anyway. You might say it's a top athlete returning from injury, well tough. That's what happens in the Olympics all the time, qualification is hard and brutal. The climbing qualification is relatively gentle with all its various routes and multiple chances.

Best example I can think of brutal qualification; US track and field - top 3 at their trials for each event who have (inevitably) made the qualification standard. No ifs, no buts, doesn't matter what you've previously done, who you are, injury, illness, whatever. Top 3. But everyone knows exactly where they stand.

JLS 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Rad:

>”The four who would have been bumped when the Japanese athletes were allowed to go to Toulouse were invited anyway as mentioned in the article.  Scoring in Toulouse won't be affected either because the output will be an order of athletes, where the top 6 will get Oly invites unless their country has already maxed out its slots.”

The above is factually incorrect. See my earlier post.

JLS 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

I take your points and agree that in the big scheme of things it won't make that much diffrence, unless it's Ondra that messes up quals and doesn't make the final. Obviously the message is clear - down feck-up in quals. That said, I still think it's silly to have the Japanese there. It's a bit like having a few Liverpool players on the park, randomly scoring (and defending) goals while Chelsea and Man. City are playing a cup semi. You can chop off the goals scored but never quite account for the times they got in the way and prevented goals.

Post edited at 08:28
 Michael Hood 22 Nov 2019
In reply to JLS:

Overall I tend to agree. If the Japanese have already filled their slots, then why do they need to be at a competition that is solely about Olympic qualification. Different to an already existing competition (world champs, continental champs) having qualification slots.

Post edited at 10:15
 James Oakes 23 Nov 2019
In reply to UKC News:

"Since the country quota maximum of 2 has been removed from the Toulouse selection document, Japan can send 4 men to the selection event, as Rei Sugimoto and Keita Dohi are now eligible for selection (behind Kokoro Fujii and Meichi Narasaki, disregarding confirmed Olympic qualifiers Tomoa Narasaki and Kai Harada) despite being unable to qualify for an Olympic quota place."

Can someone explain this sentence? How can you be eligible for selection but unable to qualify for a quota place?

In reply to James Oakes:

They are now eligible for selection to Toulouse, but not for Tokyo 2020 - as things currently stand. The result of the lawsuit may or may not change how Japan can choose their second picks.

Will edit to 'eligible for invitation' to avoid confusion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...