UKC

NEW ARTICLE: INTERVIEW: Tom Grant - British Climber and Skier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Mar 2013
Tom Grant; skier, alpinist., 4 kbIf people can get passionate about something, then so can we, and no one is more passionate about their angle on climbing than ski mountaineer Tom Grant. Going up Tom is pretty fast, and he's always carrying skis. Going down, well, he's something else.

"I first met Tom when he had just moved to Chamonix, and although he seemed pretty keen, I had no idea of what he would become... There's no nonsense, no posing in the bar, no blog, no sponsors, and no bull. Just determination and skill..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4839

Jon Griffith 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Awesome article! Tom is THE fastest trail breaker I have ever tied in with
 Henry Iddon 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Chapeau
 Jonny2vests 28 Mar 2013

Hey Tom, hope you're well, sounds like you're making waves. You should come out to BC for a trip.

Jon Leighton
cp 29 Mar 2013

Great article. The stuff these guys are skiing is amazing.

Have a look at http://ben-briggs.com for more info on Brits ticking off the steeps around the alps.
 kevin stephens 29 Mar 2013

Brilliant interview, thanks for posting
 Ben Briggs 29 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Great article and nice to see us skiers getting a bit of attention on here

There is one thing that's not so clear regarding the ski grading tho, the ski grade, ie 1 to 5 is further broken down with a decimal point 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1 ect with the 5 grade being open ended buy currently going up to 5.5. So the grades given for Toms decents on the left only include the ski part of the grade and not the exposure, so the Whymper for example would be 5.3 E3. Personally I think the system works well and is pretty accurate.
 Frank4short 29 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: It's interesting to see a set of charging Brit skiers in Cham again. Kind of reminds me of the Scottish extreme team of the late 90's early 00's they got plenty done but i think they're mostly either semi retired or sadly no longer with us now.
 Pinch'a'salt 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) It's interesting to see a set of charging Brit skiers in Cham again. Kind of reminds me of the Scottish extreme team of the late 90's early 00's they got plenty done but i think they're mostly either semi retired or sadly no longer with us now.

I can think of 2 or 3 of the early 00s guys still alive & kicking, though only 1 still skiing on a really regular basis, when he is not building a house!
 Frank4short 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: Are any of them still pushing it though? Ewan (sp?) is married with kids last I heard, Paul passed away, haven't heard anything of Jim in a few years so he could still be pushing it as he was always a lot younger than the others. After that I'm drawing a blank.
tompg7 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Briggs: Good pointt Ben, you're absolutely right. Ben is one of the most pysched and talented steep skiers around, and has skied plenty more extreme slopes than I have. His blog is a good reference for checking out almost all the classic Cham steep lines.
 walts4 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Jon Griffith:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) Awesome article! Tom is THE fastest trail breaker I have ever tied in with

Yep, the only thing normally holding Tom back is the person tied onto the other end of the rope.

Great article, good to see people receiving some recognition for some amazing achievement's.
tompg7 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: Hey Jon, good to hear from you, I'd love to get out to BC! Looks like you're having a great time out there
 Jonny2vests 30 Mar 2013
In reply to tompg7:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) Hey Jon, good to hear from you, I'd love to get out to BC! Looks like you're having a great time out there

Yeah, like a kid in a toyshop, got myself some dynafits, been learning new skills. Jen is up the duff now though, so currently on a mission to cram in as much as poss before the H bomb gets dropped. I had it coming though, I'm 43 FFS
 Ramon Marin 04 Apr 2013

I thought this article was really inspiring, it really made me want to get out there and get involved in some descents. Hats off to Tom for being such an awesome skier and climber, and getting such gnarly descents under his belt. I was wondering what job he had that he could do all this? I assume he's a mountain guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...