UKC

NEWS: Japan Lose Olympic Quota Place Lawsuit, and Asian Championships Cancelled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Dec 2020

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled against both appeals of the Japan Mountaineering and Climbing Association (JMSCA)'s lawsuit to sue the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) over a misinterpretation of an Olympic Qualification pathway rule. As a result, Miho Nonaka and Kai Harada will retain their quota places following uncertainty as to their status. Meanwhile, on a separate note, the postponed IFSC Asian Championships - which were due to take place last weekend - were cancelled as no country could host the event due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read more

JLS 14 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Seems reasonable that Chaehyun Seo and Jongwon Chon have been given the nod in light of the Asian championships being cancelled but I’m guessing that the cancellation was an unforeseen eventuality.  I wonder if anyone else thinks they have an equally reasonable claim to those spots...?

Rad 14 Dec 2020

The IFSC rules were certainly confusing, but I'm glad this was the outcome of the case. It feels more just than the alternative, which was to allow Japan to select preferred athletes at a later point in time, potentially stripping one or more athletes of an honor they won fair and square in the prescribed international competition format. 

I just hope we get Olympic climbing in 2021. It's certainly not guaranteed.

Ian W 14 Dec 2020
In reply to JLS:

I'm sure there are some other Koreans who thought they might be able to beat Seo and Chon; its highly unlikely that anyone from another country stood much of a chance in a combined comp except for japan, and Japan had already filled its country quota limit.

how unforeseen the cancellation was? not sure, because China made it clear a while ago no big comps / meetings were taking place in 2020, and they were the hosts. The only countries who would realistically be able to host in their place were japan, who already had their max number of competitors, and Korea, who were guaranteed the next 2 spots as per previous quali rules.

Just the African and Oceania champs to go!

Post edited at 22:58
 Michael Gordon 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Rad:

> I just hope we get Olympic climbing in 2021. It's certainly not guaranteed.

Unlikely I would say, unfortunately.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

According to an official press meeting I attended, the organisers are very much confident that it will happen in some form or another and they are preparing to be able to hold it in the worst case scenario (roughly as things are currently) even without a vaccine, so with the vaccine and 8 months or so down the line they should be able to hold something substantial and relatively 'normal'.

Post edited at 11:04
 summo 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

According to seb coe representing the athletics side of things on r4 this morning, he said competitions are viable, there have been various around the world already. It's the housing and feeding of the athletes, support crew, media etc. that represents the challenge. He did say that if anyone can organise it, then it's likely the Japanese. 

Ian W 15 Dec 2020
In reply to summo:

I'd go along with that - if you want someone to run a major event in trying circumstances that need top notch organisation and control, the Japanese would be on the shortlist.

Michael Gordon 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> According to an official press meeting I attended, the organisers are very much confident that it will happen in some form or another and they are preparing to be able to hold it in the worst case scenario (roughly as things are currently) even without a vaccine, so with the vaccine and 8 months or so down the line they should be able to hold something substantial and relatively 'normal'.

That's good news, if surprising considering the current situation is really no better than the situation in the summer. With Olympic athletes being generally aged <40 and with it being a worldwide event it seems unlikely everyone is going to be vaccinated by then, but here's hoping!    

SDM 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> > I just hope we get Olympic climbing in 2021. It's certainly not guaranteed.

> Unlikely I would say, unfortunately.

I would be very surprised if it doesn't go ahead in 2021.

I don't think it will be anything close to a normal Olympics but, barring some sort of disastrous mutation, I think the Olympics is pretty much guaranteed to go ahead.

I can't see postponing it another year as viable as it is starting to get too close to Paris and it also would see it competing with the football world cup for attention and advertising revenue. I can't see Tokyo being cancelled all together, as there is far too much money involved, and it would be disastrous for the athletes.

So that leaves them finding some way to make it go ahead next year. I'm sure there will be restrictions regarding quarantines, testing, vaccines etc, I don't expect to see full stadiums, and I expect some athletes will miss out after testing positive but I think it will go ahead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...