UKC

NEWS: Jim Bridwell dies aged 73

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Feb 2018
American big wall climbing pioneer Jim Bridwell has passed away aged 73 in Palm Springs, California, following a period of illness. In January Jim was diagnosed with kidney failure and Hepatitis C and a crowdfunding campaign was launched by his son, Layton, to assist with the medical expenses. A legend of the Golden Age of climbing in Yosemite and beyond, Jim's achievements included over 100 first ascents in the Valley, most notably Sea of Dreams on El Capitan and the first one-day ascent of the Nose in 1975 with Billy Westbay and John Long.

Read more
 Purple 16 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

THE Main Man.

Pioneering, prolific, brave and a legacy of awe-inspiring climbs.

“we did a good job up there”

Yes you did, always.

Rest easy Jim. 

Cog 16 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's a shame.

Met him once when he was guiding and he was a really nice guy.

abr1966 16 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive guy....proper old school, RIP Jim...

In reply to UKC News:

When I saw Valley Uprising as I was getting into climbing I was completely blown away by what the guy was all about. An absolute legend. 

neilh 17 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Legend. RIP 

Goucho 17 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news. He was one the legends in climbing history.

I was privileged to meet him a couple of times in the Valley.

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "...and in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years."

Jim Bridwell lived one hell of a life, and leaves us all, one hell of a legacy.

RIP 'The Bird'.

Post edited at 11:30
 Doug 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Sad news, there's a thread on Supertopo ( http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=3061800&tn=0&... ) which includes a link to an obituary in the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/obituaries/jim-bridwell-mountaineering-m... )

Rick Graham 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Goucho:

> Sad news. He was one the legends in climbing history.

> I was privileged to meet him a couple of times in the Valley.

> I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "...and in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years."

> Jim Bridwell lived one hell of a life, and leaves us all, one hell of a legacy.

> RIP 'The Bird'.

I am lost for words in how to explain his legacy.  It has taken a couple of days to put finger to keyboard.

Arguably the most accomplished and inspirational all rounder in climbing.

Only met him once.  He lent us a portaledge.  I was overawed enough entering the SAR but overwelmed when realising that the loaner was the man himself.  Climbing royalty.  RIP

Post edited at 10:36
 Grahame N 19 Feb 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...