UKC

INTERVIEW: Kalymnos Bolt Fund exceeds €10 000

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Aug 2010
Steve McDonell, owner of the Glaros bar in Massouri, Kalymnos, 4 kbThe Greek island of Kalymnos is one of the most famous sport climbing holiday destinations in the world. People travel from all corners of the globe to sample its delightful limestone and tantalising tufas.

One man who has been central to the Kalymnos climbing scene is Steve McDonnel, owner of the Glaros Bar in Massouri, Kalymnos. Recently the Glaros Bolt Fund has raised it's 10,000th Euro and has funded the equipping of approximately 300 routes on the island.

Here Ralph Stöhr of Klettern Magazine catches up with Steve McDonell in his bar, to find out more about the Kalymnos bolt fund and how climbing and tourism are key for the island:

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2953
 Chris the Tall 19 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:
How on earth did you manage to get a picture of Steve smiling ?

Good to see his efforts getting some recognition
 Morgan Woods 19 Aug 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:

indeed....i knew steve was involved but not the extent. Good to see new routes still going up.
 Boogs 20 Aug 2010

Thanks a good informative article which I think has helped me to choose my next holiday destination . Wonderful !
 snoop6060 20 Aug 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Its defo photoshopped, never smiled once when I was there. He's sorta a bit scary.

To be fair, it looked like he'd had a loooong season and was waiting for everyone to piss off home finally.
Helen Heanes 20 Aug 2010
nice article and a great island. It would have been nice to see some credit and appreciation given to Aris as well for all his hard work.

Many thanks to everyone looking after the bolts and the routes. I'll enjoy using them again in September.

ta, Helen
 mr mills 21 Aug 2010
In reply to snoop6060:

Ok fair play to the guy but, when I was there we also found him to be rude and cocky really so we never went back to his place.

Also no mention of Aris Theodoropoulos, I thought he was the main protagonist on the island when it all started, and writer of the guide (Kalymnos) !!!
 mux 24 Aug 2010
In reply to mr mills: He is Scouse !! well Plastic Scouse anyway (Wirral) ...

That aside he's also very kind under that grump of a boat race.

I arrived on the island a couple of years back only to find my bank card stopped...without a blink Steve lent me some cash until I had it out with the Bank.

See you in October Steve and Sue.
 Dave Musgrove 24 Aug 2010

Nice article, and great to see Steve’s efforts getting some well deserved recognition. I’ve placed around 150 bolts on the Island which, together with belay chains, would have cost me well over £600 (not something I usually account for in my holiday budget).
Without the bolt fund the pace of development on Kalymnos would have been much slower and Aris’s excellent guidebooks probably wouldn’t need updating quite as often.

There has been quite a bit of folklore built up around Steve’s personality (some of which is deserved but most of it is cultivated by Steve as part of his scouse sense of humour). If you are a sensitive soul who can’t take a derogatory ‘put down’ in the spirit it is intended then go elsewhere but I can assure you that if you take the time to get to know him you will be rewarded with a warm welcome, lasting loyal friendship, and help and advice on most of your queries re all things Greek. Steve’s wife Sue is one of the nicest women you will meet anywhere.

The new Glaros bar is an excellent meeting place, centrally placed in Massouri with a limited but excellent menu of pizzas pancakes, salads and of course, an unlimited supply of Mythos. You won’t get loud music or late night drinking (much after midnight) but there are plenty of other bars that cater for those tastes within easy walking distance.

If you are not a regular, next time you call in for a routes update sit down and buy a drink and get to know Steve and Sue a little better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...