UKC

NEWS: Landslide on Great Orme Closes Pen Trwyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 24 Sep 2007
A landslide on the Great Orme, Llandudno, North Wales has resulted in the Marine drive and path being closed to public. Climbing at the Pen Trwyn cliffs, one of the most popular sport climbing areas in Wales, is restricted.

Lower Pen Trwyn is still accessible from steps by pier.

The crags beyond...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Michael Ryan 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Also here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=263228

by - keefe on - 22:57 Sat
Disappointing visit to Pen Trwyn today. Entrance gate was closed due to rockfall along the drive - after Excursion I believe. Road is closed between the Llandudno entrance & the zig-zags. Absolutely no access. A Surveyor is due on Mon to report & advise.
We could have gone to LPT via the beach - but given how wet it was - "what's the point?"
 anonymous1 24 Sep 2007

The chap from the coast guard agency said it should be open today,Monday, LPT was baking hot , bit wet but empty as was by the road.
 Mihangel 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Was round there yesterday. There had beem a small rock fall between Testament wall and Precious metal. Road was closed from tollgate to zig zags.
Simon Panton 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Some distressing news: I was going over to the Ormes this evening, but thought I'd call Conwy Council first and find out if the Marine Drive was open yet. A lady in highways informed me that the first section of the road was expected to be shut until a week on Thursday (i.e. 4th Oct). Obviously you can still drive over the top and access the crags beyond the zig-zags, and you can still get to LPT via the beach, and there is always Little Orme, etc...
OP Michael Ryan 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon Panton:

Update from the BMC

http://thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2145
Simon Panton 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: So no LPT then as well.
 petellis 02 Oct 2007
In reply to Simon Panton:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) So no LPT then as well.

Is this still the case? Wanting to go to LPT on sunday from York so need info in advance. Would the contractors be working the weekend? Obviously if there is a proper ban we won't go so as not to jepordise access.
 petellis 02 Oct 2007

Yeah, seen that... but if contractors aren't working the weekend then is there any need to stay away? can't find any info on the access database that indicates if the crag is sensitive or not which would help making a decision.
 keefe 05 Oct 2007
In reply to petellis:
Has anybody been? The notice has been removed from the council site, but no confirmation that the road is really open. They had said they'ld finish on the 4th.
 kevin k 06 Oct 2007
In reply to keefe: is this open yet?
i may go tomorrow.
 keefe 06 Oct 2007
In reply to kevin k:
Opened this morning.
There was rockfall left of the Testament wall, plenty of damage on the ground and the rockfall took out some of the dry stone wall by the road, but nothing on any routes I think.
There is plenty of debris on the beach on the walk in to LPT & seeing some of the loose rock remaining in the wall & just below the road, it's worth paying attention above when walking in. :-S
Lovely conditions today.
 Andrew.Davies 08 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I was there on friday, and they were throwing rocks off the road down on to the beach with a digger, fortunatly they stopped when we had to walk past.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...