UKC

NEWS: Leo Houlding: from Everest to Reality TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 03 Jul 2007
Fresh from the summit of Everest and the fiming of a reenactment of George Mallory and Sandy Irvine's Everest attempt of 1924, Leo Houlding continues to supplant his mentor Sir Chris Bonington as the darling of the mainstream media. Leo, a Berghaus sponsored athlete, has several TV, film and interne...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Shani 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Bear Grylls must be shitting himself now that a REAL adventure athelete is on the scene. Go Leo!
 peteetheridge 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Shani: Damn right!!
 GrahamD 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Shani:

He already has all the hype with this "recreating Mallory/Irving" bullshit.

As far as I can tell all(!) they did is climb the same route as the one attempted by Mallory/Irving - they didn't re-create anything.
Anonymous 04 Jul 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

What has Leo done to make him a World Class climber as opposed to a very good all-rounder?
 Jamie B 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

> What has Leo done to make him a World Class climber as opposed to a very good all-rounder?

Does it matter? If he can find a gap in the market and exploit it then all power to him.

OP Michael Ryan 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> What has Leo done to make him a World Class climber as opposed to a very good all-rounder?

First repeat of the Huber's El Nino on El Cap, freed nine out of ten pitches of Yosemite’s 'The West Face' on the Leaning Tower, climbed E9, first free ascent of the Casserato pillar on Fitzroy, Everest, he whooped the ass of Jeremy Clarkson, jumps off cliffs and things......Oh and he switched the Christmas Lights on at Kendal.

World-class adventure athlete by my standards and I'm a cynical bastard.

Mick

Jamie B 04 Jul 2007

When did he do the Cassarotto Pillar? Got any links?

Well, good for Leo. Pehaps other people will be inspired by him to get out and live life more fully.
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2007

> World-class adventure athlete by my standards and I'm a cynical bastard.
>
> Mick

For turning on the Kendal lights alone !
 GDes 05 Jul 2007
In reply to Jamie B.: If that's what i think it is, saw him give a lecture on it last year. Done with Kevin Thaw in impressive fast style
Andj 05 Jul 2007
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> [...]
>
> First repeat of the Huber's El Nino on El Cap, freed nine out of ten pitches of Yosemite’s 'The West Face' on the Leaning Tower, climbed E9, first free ascent of the Casserato pillar on Fitzroy, Everest, he whooped the ass of Jeremy Clarkson, jumps off cliffs and things......Oh and he switched the Christmas Lights on at Kendal.
>
> World-class adventure athlete by my standards and I'm a cynical bastard.
>
> Mick

Not cynical enough though, Mick!
Leo's definitely a world-class rockclimber when he can be bothered, but is light-years off being a seriously good allrounder, and considering his opportunities has been a total dilletante when it comes to serious mountaineering or alpinism. Surely you can see that?
Craig Smith 05 Jul 2007

Whatever! Boy's on a wave and he's gonna ride it. Go Leo, milk those media bastards for every penny, but please promise me you'll stay alive!

X

C
 Jamie B 09 Jul 2007
In reply to Colin Henderson:

Cheers; looks absolutely awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...