UKC

INTERVIEW: Lexicon E11 7a repeated by Dave MacLeod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Mar 2022

Dave MacLeod has made the third ascent of Neil Gresham's Lexicon E11 7a at Pavey Ark, Cumbria. The route shares the start of Impact Day E8 6c up to a break, before leading straight up an overhanging headwall on small crimps with marginal footholds.

Read more

planetmarshall 31 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Chris must be really pleased with that shot. What a cracker.

dig26 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Another great insight into Lexicon. That’s what I love about following hard UK trad - being 43 and being the youngest ascensionist just goes to show how important that cumulative experience, risk analysis and mental resilience is for performing at the top end. Hats off to the three of ya!

jezb1 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed that piece

plyometrics 01 Apr 2022
In reply to planetmarshall:

Was thinking the same. Brilliant pic. 

ChrisBrooke 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Fortunately not an April fool!

Fascinating, insightful interview, and obviously a fantastic bit of climbing. Well done Dave. You've youth on your side!

DannyC 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Cool interview! Especially to read his thoughts about the relative difficulty of Rhapsody and Mind Riot too. It must be so hard to grade at that level when these routes are, by their very nature, quite rare to find and even rarer to successfully climb.

It’d be interesting to hear a group of the UK’s most experienced E9+ climbers discuss what they view as being benchmark, middle-of-the-grade routes for E9 and above. I’d guess that a blind poll would deliver very different answers, and not just due to the inevitable variation for climbers’ body types, climbing styles, headgames etc.

henwardian 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Great send, well done Dave. Also really interesting article, made a very enjoyable read. Always good to keep getting proof that I'm not too old to try hard routes too. (no comment on whether I'm too weak and fat however...)

The laugh out loud moment for me was "It was good to see that [Steve] didn't hit the ground,", like hitting the ground is a fairly standard thing in (hard) climbing but it was a nice surprise that it didn't happen this time!

Yeah, yeah, I know I see meanings that aren't there but it's a good way to keep myself entertained ;D

Removed User 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC News:

What an astounding picture. 

Michael Hood 02 Apr 2022
In reply to Removed User:

> What an astounding picture. 

Agreed, I especially like the 2-level "distant" background of Stickle Tarn and then the Langdale Valley floor.

Also, that BD/skyhook combo might be above the gear in the break but it's not exactly waist-high on the crux 😁

Post edited at 23:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...