UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Lhotse - The First Ski Descent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Feb 2020
This week's Friday Night Video follows Hilaree Nelson and Jim Morrison as they attempt to climb up and ski down Lhotse (8,516 metres) in the Everest massif via the Lhotse Couloir and the Lhotse Face. On the fourth highest mountain in the world, where summiting is an achievement in itself, this couple managed to ascend with their skis and make the first full ski descent of Lhotse from the summit.

Read more
Deadeye 21 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I think there might be a fault - normally a little box pops up in the bottom right saying "Skip Ads".  It didn't this time, and so I never got the video, just a North Face commercial.

John2 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

Worked fine for me. No adverts.

tjdodd 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

I thought it was pretty understated in terms of marketing North Face.  Yes, their logo was clear in some shots but was never in your face and was never forced.

If the cost of getting nicely shot films is a little bit of unobtrusive brand placement then so be it.  Unless you want everyone to be going around naked you are going to get visible clothing logos regardless.

McHeath 21 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Depressing film. 29 days + walkout for maybe 30-60 min of unspectacular skiing.

"The universe sometimes grants you a moment, and you take it". It wasn't the universe; it was the Sherpas, who carried everything in and out, prepared the route with fixed ropes and ladders, accompanied the climbers and made sure they didn't run out of oxygen.

Makes you think about profit margins, since it will presumably be financially worthwhile for North Face to have financed the undertaking.

Give me a film of some remote couloir in the Alps or Rockies any day, climbed and ski-ed unsupported in alpine style. 

acer2012 21 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, although most of the credit has to go to the Sherpas! The "And you?" at the end really got me laughing!

beardy mike 22 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I find the responses to this thread far more depressing than the film. To be fair they clearly acknowledged the part the sherpas had to play, in fact it highlighted how massively experienced they were. Equpping the route through the icefall out of season takes time. Unspectacular skiing? Were you watching same thing as me? Sure they weren’t smashing out linked turns down perfect pow, but they skied an incredible looking line, at the top it looks like you can’t fall at all. Sure it might not be your cup of tea but depressing? I wish I had your rosey life so I could be depressed about something like this...

Dark-Cloud 22 Feb 2020
In reply to McHeath:

> Give me a film of some remote couloir in the Alps or Rockies any day, climbed and ski-ed unsupported in alpine style. 

if you like that sort of thing check out Cody Townsend s The Fifty Project, all on YouTube, filmed by Bjarne Salen, every episode so far has been thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining, there is a bit too much ‘dude’ and knuckle bumping now and then but some really awesome lines skied.

Andy Hardy 22 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

All the way through that I was struck by 2 things 

First, the amount of mummy guilt heaped on the woman, nothing similar for her "significant other" (I just puked a bit there, sorry)

Second the stark contrast between the Sherpa team, who basically risked their lives for cash and the god awful motivational mantras spewing from the 2 skiers.

Not sure how I feel about this video, but "uplifted" doesn't describe it.

olddirtydoggy 24 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Saw this posted on another outdoor website the other week when NF released it and I didn't like this one for some of the same reasons stated above. Suggesting we're a bit spoilt brat for not liking it might be a bit like mum & dad telling me to eat my greens as the starving in Africa don't have any food. Whilst I understand my privilege and am greatful, I still don't like brocolli.

galpinos 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> All the way through that I was struck by 2 things 

> First, the amount of mummy guilt heaped on the woman, nothing similar for her "significant other" (I just puked a bit there, sorry)

His wife and two children were killed in a plane crash nearly ten years ago?

Etta 24 Feb 2020
In reply to UKC News:

This was already posted on UKC a few months ago https://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=4919

I am always looking forward to something new for Friday Night Video, it's a bit disappointing lately to see you reposting old things or videos from Adam Ondra's Youtube channel (I guess a lot of us follow Adam on social media already). Sorry, I understand it's difficult to come up with new videos all the time and you are sharing interesting things, I guess you spoiled us with really nice videos in the past and now I have an appetite for new things all the time...

simon cox 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Etta:

Yes the coolest comment was the sherpa at the end who reals off countless ascents of 8km peaks then asks what you have done?

But hey it was amazing footage and whilst truly spectacular and inspirational could we suggest to Mr Chin to turn down the dial slightly on the bad ass comments but thanks for a very special video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...