UKC

INTERVIEW: Marc-Andre Leclerc on Scottish Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 23 Mar 2016
Marc-Andre Leclerc on the first solo ascent of The Corkscrew, 4 kbYoung Canadian alpinist Marc-Andre Leclerc recently visited Scotland for the first time as part of a strong Canadian group alongside Paul McSorley, Ian Welsted, Michelle Kadatz and Paul Bride, sampling Scottish winter and coming away with a ticklist that can only be described as "Nae too shabby."

Just like whisky, haggis and Irn-Bru, Scottish winter climbing can be an acquired taste. Though with multiple hard Patagonian first ascents to his name, it's perhaps no surprise that Marc-Andre dealt with the complexity of Scottish winter better than most. We caught up with Marc-Andre to find out what he thought of what Scotland had to offer...

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:
It cant be understated how amazing it was watching this guy go! I think I'd climbed about 10 meters of a pitch in the time it had taken him to solo Scabbard Chimney and Chimney Route...
Post edited at 13:34
 creag 23 Mar 2016

wow!
 Michael Gordon 23 Mar 2016

That day on SCNL is particularly impressive - mixed soloing above V is (understandably) quite rare in Scotland. I could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if Tilt and Central Grooves hadn't been soloed before?

Sounds like a good decision with Darth Vader, though it's not always so easy to have friends close at hand to throw a rope...
 Patrick Roman 23 Mar 2016

Great report, well done Natalie/UKC on this! Impressed by both the mileage and the Central Buttress solo!

Inspiring words.
 Patrick Roman 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> That day on SCNL is particularly impressive - mixed soloing above V is (understandably) quite rare in Scotland. I could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if Tilt and Central Grooves hadn't been soloed before?

I'd say Central Buttress, Tilt, Chimney Route, Gargoyle Wall and Minus Two Buttress were all FSAs.

> Sounds like a good decision with Darth Vader, though it's not always so easy to have friends close at hand to throw a rope...

Definitely lessens the commitment as does carrying a cord, but it's what he'll be used to. Seems DV was the only route he had an issue with though.
 Rob Morgan 23 Mar 2016
Great read.

I also had my first Scottish winter climbing experience at SCNL this year..but I climbed a single grade II in a team of 3.. and was knackered at the end. The list of climbs here boggles the mind.
Post edited at 17:26
 Tony & Sarah 23 Mar 2016

Sounds like he had an easy week, we recommend everybody to check out his 3 solos in a day on the Stanley Headwall in February
Tony & Sarah
 buffalo606 23 Mar 2016
 vscott 24 Mar 2016

Wow! and Central Buttress - gulp! (Unless I've missed something three times the crux hooking the concerningly flat hold on the first pitch is among the more insecure moves on Scottish mixed... ) ... pity he didn't make it to Ben Eighe!
Removed User 24 Mar 2016
In reply to buffalo606:

Awesomely Canadian conversation!
Removed User 25 Mar 2016

F*ck me he soloed Central Buttress! Time marches on, saying he must have a cool and confident head seems like an understatement. That's a hell of a ticklist for a quick visit. Chapeau!
#imnotworthy
 Steve Perry 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Patrick Roman: Martin Hind (Inverness) has soloed lots and lots of winter routes possibly above grade V, I'll ask him.

James Edwards 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:
Martin probably won't remember many of his soloing routes. They were often unplanned, basically as a result of him detesting early starts so he would solo up behind the people he was supposed to be climbing or the line at the side if it was harder and over take you. Just because he could.

I was told that someone, possibly Paul Tattersall, soloed Central Buttress on Being Eighe back in the day and enjoyed it so much he descended and did it again the same day.

James e
Tom Knowles 25 Mar 2016
In reply to James Edwards:

I'd heard that story before, one of those things that seemed to get more fantastic every time it was told (but never by Paul himself)!! So I asked him about it a couple years back after he did his double cuillin ridge traverse. The reply is on his site, just scroll down - http://www.gofurtherscotland.co.uk/news/skye-cuillin-ridge-slig2slig
 Michael Gordon 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Tom Knowles:

Good stuff, cheers. Going by that account I don't think he was going back for another ascent!
 iksander 05 Apr 2016

Wad
 davkeo 05 Apr 2016

Was talking to him for a bit that day on SCNL. Seems like a thoroughly nice fella who was having a great time in Scotland. And as someone said to me 'I'd say he loves everything about climbing, even the shite bits'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...