UKC

ARTICLE: Marmot Photography Awards 2020 - Category Finalists

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Marmot Photography Awards 2020

UKClimbing and UKHillwalking are proud to announce the category finalists for the 2020 Marmot Photography Awards.



Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Stunning!!! And voting on them is therapeutically satisfying to boot 👍🏼

In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Bit unfair to give one in each category a bigger image than the others?

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Stunning!!! And voting on them is therapeutically satisfying to boot 👍🏼

The updates to the voting were Andy's idea and are a marked improvement on previous years, where an entire paragraph was needed to explain how to vote. Now it couldn't be much more simple, which is more than can be said for who to vote for with so many good photographs!

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> The updates to the voting were Andy's idea and are a marked improvement on previous years, where an entire paragraph was needed to explain how to vote. 

I must admit that when the new voting method was introduced for photos in general it left me completely baffled for quite a while and I thought there was some glitch going on until I stumbled across how you had to click on the stars! I actually don't think it is, although simple, terribly intuitive and should be more fully explained here in case anybody else is in  the same predicament. Or maybe my brain is just wired weirdly..........

Post edited at 14:25
 Alex Riley 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Strong north wales representation

In reply to Robert Durran:

Having re-read the 'How to Vote' section, I really don't see how we could make it any more simple than it is.

In short: there's some stars, click on them...


In reply to Southvillain:

> Bit unfair to give one in each category a bigger image than the others?

Whilst I haven't done extensive scientific research in this field I'd say that most people will vote for their favourite photograph, not the photograph that is the biggest.

For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend viewing each image expanded anyway, because you get a lot more from them this way.

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Having re-read the 'How to Vote' section, I really don't see how we could make it any more simple than it is.

Sorry, yes, apologies. I didn't look for the instructions because I'd already eventually worked out how to do it for the usual photos. But I'm glad they are there, because otherwise it might have been as baffling as it was when introduced for the usual photos without explanation (unless I missed something). Anyway, I'm obviously an idiot, so I'll shut up now!

In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

There does seem to be a blurred line between the landscape and hillwalking categories; some of the hillwalking photos don't have any walkers in them. Is this just self-identificatioin when the photos were submitted. In a way it doesn't matter because they are all great shots, but a clear distinction might be preferable.

In reply to Robert Durran:

We adjusted a number of photo's categories whilst compiling the finalists; however, shifting photos from their original categories can distort things, as some categories tend to get more votes than others - hence we didn't want to skew things. In this case a couple have slipped through the net, but like you say - they're all amazing images - so it's hopefully not the end of the world.

 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 12 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Fantastic set of images, huge congratulations and good luck to all! 

 paul wood 14 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Some amazing photos but I think look for different things in bouldering photos if these are the best from the year.  I do like the one on Art Nouveau but I didn't instantly recognise it as a boulder.

 olddirtydoggy 14 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

These photos are all very nice  but I can't believe Wharncliffe crags 'Climb Safe Chihuahua' didn't get first place or even a mention! Scandalous!

https://cdn.ukc2.com/i/333020.jpg

Post edited at 17:16
In reply to paul wood:

> Some amazing photos but I think look for different things in bouldering photos if these are the best from the year.  

I like them. They mostly show bouldering really well in the context of beautiful surroundings; they almost make me want to go bouldering! From photos on UKC I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually went bouldering in daylight these days.

In reply to James Rushforth:

This year must be the first year we haven't had any of yours in Rushy, but I'm guessing you've been busy writing books? Think I'm right in saying that I saw you were working on an Iceland guide for fotoVUE. Hope all's well anyhow - it's been a while!

 Sean Kelly 28 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

We are all waiting with baited breath for the names of the winners. Is this happening soon?

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hi Sean, 

Voting is open until 11th Feb. We'll announce shortly after then.

Nick

There's one week left to vote on your favourites in each of the categories!

Nick


Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...